Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Dublin?

Options
  • 10-02-2011 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Thinking about moving to tallaght, or citywest , or rathfarnham, are these nice places to live, and whats the job prospects?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

blackrock dalkey killiney donnbrook sandymount...take your pick...or greystones(not dublin but basically is) might be a choice...there the only places id live in dublin(prob not sandymount but its nice)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Starfox

partyndbs wrote: »
    blackrock dalkey killiney donnbrook sandymount...take your pick...or greystones(not dublin but basically is) might be a choice...there the only places id live in dublin(prob not sandymount but its nice)

i only said citywest or rathfarnham as peeps said to me they are nice spots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

ye mayb they are i just grew up by the sea so can only imagine living somwere like that...donnybrooks a bit far away even

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Tallaght is bigger than Limerick so you'd have to narrow it down to which part of Tallaght. The difference between Jobstown and Kingswood is....big to put it politely.

Don't know a whole lot about Citywest to be honest. I had a friend living out there for a few months and they said it was a pretty boring spot to live by Dublin standards.

Rathfarnham is a nice, settled area from what I've seen of it. Large choice of shopping centres, cinemas, parks, sports clubs, close to the mountains etc. Public transport links wouldn't be as good as other areas though while its very hilly for cycling from what my cycling friend tells me? (I couldn't say is this true though).

Dublin is a large city though so it'd probably be easier if you listed what type of area you're looking for to get a better response?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Tallaght is good depending on the area - Kingswood, Aylesbury, Kilnamanagh, Old Bawn and Bancroft are all good areas. And of course The Square is very handy. Jobstown, Fettercairn, Killinarden, Brookfield and Springfield wouldn't exactly be desirable areas of Tallaght though.

Citywest is nice but can be dull. The shopping centre there is okay, it's pretty small but you can generally get what you need there in the way of grocery shopping. It's a quiet enough area.

Rathfarnham is a pleasant area. Similarly to Citywest it's a quiet area, the shopping centre is good for Tesco and Penneys and Bushy Park is also nice.

I'm unsure of job prospects in these areas, but I don't think anywhere in Ireland has particularly good job prospects atm.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply's, city west sounds nice then, i like it quite, is the place big?

o, is city west dublin expensive to live, rent apartments ext, thanks allot

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

i'd recomend any where on the left hand side of the n11 on the way out of town.
    City west is a bit random and i can't see any draw. Unless you want a mobile phone you'll not need the square. Also can't see any positive side to life in tallaght.

Starfox wrote: »
    o, is city west dublin expensive to live, rent apartments ext, thanks allot

Why are you focusing on Citywest so much? It's fairly drab and boring by all accounts with not many facilities and fairly far out of the city as well with no Luas link completed as of yet and a longish bus journey to town. You'll need a car to get around.

You can buy a two bedroom cottage in parts of Rathmines and Ranelagh which would be far nicer and more central areas for the same price you'd be paying for a two bedroom apartment in Citywest :confused:

ted1 wrote: »
    Also can't see any positive side to life in tallaght.

To be fair East Tallaght isn't the worst for families. Places like Kingswood and Old Bawn are just normal, mature private housing estates. But if you were a single person or a couple I'd have to say I wouldn't see the attraction of Tallaght either for renting or buying unless it was close to work, especially with prices the way they are at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Citywest isn't that big, it's really a commuter town. There's not much there, it's an area people live in but they don't actually 'live' in it, if you get what I mean.
    ted1 wrote: »
    Also can't see any positive side to life in tallaght.

There are many positive sides to life in Tallaght. There's a very impressive arts centre, one of the best libraries in Ireland and transport links aren't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

by transport links you mean ways out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Oh those areas Rathfarnham would be my choice lots of buses to town, lots of parks, lots of shopping centres plus not too far from Dundrum, Great place to bring up a family. If I was single would not live in any of those spots and somewhere like Ranelagh.
    Citywest is miles out and Tallaght is huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I grew up in Rathfarnham and tbh anywhere there is fine to live in, dont know much about Tallaght but was thinking of moving there myself so rang the garda station and asked where in Tallaght they would recommend for a family member to live was told other than Kingswood nowhere that Dublin was a big area go anywhere else but Tallaght :confused: so I did
    as for citywest looked at that too very far out only 65B bus goes there so you need a car also very little phone signal which is not good

if your single why dont you try nearer the city Ive lived in Rathmines, Ranelagh, Rathgar, Harolds Cross and Terenure and loved all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Oh those areas Rathfarnham would be my choice lots of buses to town, lots of parks, lots of shopping centres plus not too far from Dundrum, Great place to bring up a family. If I was single would not live in any of those spots and somewhere like Ranelagh.
    Citywest is miles out and Tallaght is huge.

Agree with all this, and the places listed by edellc above, could probably add to that churchtown/milltown which are quite close to rathfarnham/dundrum etc. I'd definitely choose one of those areas over Tallaght/Citywest, even though i'm quite a big fan of Tallaght and i think it's come on leaps and bounds i think the above are really good places to settle in to.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Everywhere has their bad parts. Tallaght is a huge district with some extremely dodgy parts but primarily with decent enough areas.

The size of Tallaght is such that asking, "Should I live in Tallaght" is like asking, "Should I live in Dublin". It's hard to say yay or nay without a more specific part in mind.

In general the best parts are the south east of tallaght (south of the N81 and east of the maldron hotel (including old bawn) and the north east (Kingswood), but there are plenty of decent parts outside of that.

Citywest is a bit of a concrete jungle and its distance from the city can make you feel isolated without your own transport (or when trying to get into the city).

Rathfarnham is a good settled area, but beware of exactly where you are looking. Some parts of Rathfarnham are almost in the city or are a short walk from the nearest shopping centre. Other parts called Rathfarnham (near me) are halfway up the mountains and devoid of any kind of decent public transport.

Advertisement