Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playing football: Things that annoy you

• 10-02-2011 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I love playing football but....I really hate,
    • Playing home matches - setting up the pitch, setting up nets ect.:mad:
    • Playing away matches - having to meet at a ridiculously early time.:mad:
    • The Mangers mate who shows up and tries to take over.:mad:
    • The dumbass on the team who is desperate to be captain and always interrupts the team talk.:mad:
    • That annoying person who tries to tell everyone what to do with the ball, then loses it. :mad:
    I'm sure there is a lot more I will think of.
    I honestly really do like football...:D:P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Losing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

being so good...just gets boring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

playing indoor in canada

- Pitch is round, like a hockey pitch
    -6 a side and the pitch is way to big
    - hockey style subs
    - refs who have no clue about the game
    - ya cant tackle anyone at all or its a free
    - BLUE CARDS????"?"?"
    - Pitch surface is like a snooker table, destroys you when you fall/slide
    - cant kick a ball in the air over 3 lines ( 25 yards)
    - ya cant curse
    - sin bins in football?:o
    - the massive heat inside ya cant catch your breath

im sure there is more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I only play astro nowadays and the thing I hate the most is when a friends friend brings a friend who is much better then all of us which completely ruins what would otherwise have been a really even match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Oh yea, Astro matches with stupid rules such as the ball not being allowed to go over head height....WTF!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Calling for a throw you know isnt yours :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Oh yea, Astro matches with stupid rules such as the ball not being allowed to go over head height....WTF!
    Or as a keeper, not being allowed out of the box, the amount of attacks you cant stop when the ball ends up 2 feet outside the area :(

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The managers mate who got the manager to drunkenly agree to give him a start, despite him never having trained with the team before and having a beer belly like a sack of spuds in front of him. And then being a disgrace when on the pitch.

Happened with 2 of the teams I played with, while better, fitter, dedicated players were left on the bench.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

people who slide tackle in astro turf games, get a fecking clue you retard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I only play astro nowadays and the thing I hate the most is when a friends friend brings a friend who is much better then all of us which completely ruins what would otherwise have been a really even match!

also;
    when a friends friend brings a friend who is much WORSE then all of us which completely ruins what would otherwise have been a really even match!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Mark Van Bommel wannabes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

- Teams that let their grass go to knee height, give me a mudbath of a pitch any day of the week ahead of it.

- Attempts at playing the offside trap. Why oh why do we do it? It's not the Nou Camp. And we're not Puyol/Pique.

- Lack of pitch markings. You wouldn't see a darts player playing without the wires.

- Oh and losing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

when vinny jones grabs me testicles:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭SM01

I hate that some folk attempt diving now to get frees/penos. It's not all that frequent but it does happen every few games.

And, especially on Sunday morning/early afternoon kick-offs , reckless, dangerous tackles from tubby beer monsters who resent anyone with a bit of pace trying to beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

TechnoPool wrote: »
    playing indoor in canada

- hockey style subs
    - BLUE CARDS????"?"?"
    - ya cant curse

im sure there is more
    :pac: What do the blue cards do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The fact that many girls see training as an opportunity to catch up on the latest gossip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The fact that every weerk I run around like a lunatic for the first five minutes, forgetting my complete lack of fitness, only to disappear from the game for the next fifteen while I recover.

Also skinning your knees/legs raw on astroturf. You feel nothing initially, then sheer agony about an hour later, and horrible weeping cuts on your knees for days afterwards. Rotten.

Also lads who won't take their turn in goal when your team hasn't a regular keeper.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Last one to the goals is in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

When someone takes a kickabout seriously, i.e. shouting and complaining about losing.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

flahavaj wrote: »

Also skinning your knees/legs raw on astroturf. You feel nothing initially, then sheer agony about an hour later, and horrible weeping cuts on your knees for days afterwards. Rotten.
    Yeah add that to the list of playing in goal on astro.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

When the manager decides to practice free kicks in training and 2 wannabe beckhams take great enjoyment in whacking a ball at us poor fuucks in the wall for 30 mins!! Fuuck that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

The greedy defoe wannabe who shoots at every turn on astro turf,2 of those play with us n it is bloody annoying.

The one player that is way better than you and skins you everytime as he knows ya cant run like Usain Bolt to catch him :mad::mad:

Getting the ball put through your legs while attempting the greatest tackle you ever imagined!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

flahavaj wrote: »

I feel the pain......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

doing laps of the pitch as training or for fitness reason. Gimme a ball you *****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    doing laps of the pitch as training or for fitness reason. Gimme a ball you *****

Winner!

That's really annoying! Although if they let me do the laps of the pitch with a football, I'd probably find it a lot less labouring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Winner!
    mars bar wrote: »
    That's really annoying! Although if they let me do the laps of the pitch with a football, I'd probably find it a lot less labouring.

Not wanting to drag up and old debate but its just so irritating that when you are young and eager to play footie the 'manager' of your team starts off training with laps of the pitch. Lets practice the actual ****ing game and the fitness will come naturally.

Not wanting to drag up and old debate but its just so irritating that when you are young and eager to play footie the 'manager' of your team starts off training with laps of the pitch. Lets practice the actual ****ing game and the fitness will come naturally.

I agree 100%. Even Scholes has said that those days are gone in modern football. Short bursts of sprints are much more beneficial coz that's more to the nature of the game.

One lap is grand just to get the blood flowing which is essential in not getting injured but 3 or 4 is just pointless.

Especially for young kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I wouldn't mind, but joging endlessly does f*ck all for the type of fitness you need for soccer. A few well timed sprints would be far better.

Edit:Snap marsie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

Not disagreeing with you two, but you should jog for a good few minutes to warm up. Even then, it shouldn't really be laps, it should be in a square grid and different exercises should be done while jogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

When someone takes a kickabout seriously, i.e. shouting and complaining about losing.

What's the point in playing if you don't care about losing??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

The defenders who never back pass it to the goalie thinking they can "skill" their way out of a tight situation then lose it leaving you one on one with the striker.

Players who ignore keepers commands for corners/set pieces and then gets the blame for the goal that could have been prevented if you only had listened.

Thank god I stopped being a goalie a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Referees who try to call offside when they can't even see.

:pac: What do the blue cards do?

sin binned for 2 minutes, yellow is for 4 minutes ha!! think like hockey

power plays n ****, its madness

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

From playing astro last night, booking a pitch from 5-6 only to have most of the players turn up at 5:20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

• People not trying when we go a goal or two down, its not the end of the world.
    • People not trying or not been good enough in training and still getting a game.
    • The inconsistency of referee decisions in any game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Going for a game and realising that the guy who normally brings the good ball didn't show and you're stuck playing with the crappy ball that isn't fully inflated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

The guy who thinks he's the next Zidane and of course is crap, then moans why he isn't playing to everyone but the manager. Jesus it'd go through you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Struggling to organise 10 every week for a 5 v 5 astroturf game despite having 42 names in the squad on teamer :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

****ing nepotism when playing at a younger level. Managers playing their sons/friends or whatever and me sitting on the bench when I'm ten times better than them...not being arrogant. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

TechnoPool wrote: »
    playing indoor in canada

- hockey style subs
    - BLUE CARDS????"?"?"
    - ya cant curse

im sure there is more

Holy sh!t, are you sure that is football that you're playing at all?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

That my last official game before moving to Ireland was postponed due to a frozen pitch.
    I turned out that my last game was the week before that where I only came in the team for the 2nd half.
    Couldnt do anything right in those 45 minutes as i had been standing on the sideline the 1st half which resulted in numb feed from the cold.

2nd thing that annoyed me was realising i was getting too old to play. Being criple for a few days after 90 minutes on Sunday gets boring after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Or as a keeper, not being allowed out of the box, the amount of attacks you cant stop when the ball ends up 2 feet outside the area :(
    Hate it when your goalie runs out of his box, and gets a free against your team :mad:
    Yakult wrote: »
    The defenders who never back pass it to the goalie thinking they can "skill" their way out of a tight situation then lose it leaving you one on one with the striker.
    I put that with the "glory goalers" who shoot impossible shots, when someone in their field of vision is open, and in a better spot.
    gavredking wrote: »
    referee
    Never had one of those :P

=-=

Play on some sort of grass. It's never muddy really, and never too long. It also doesn't hurt too much if you fall on it, but if it rains, you will not stop suddenly. Have seen people bounce off the side fence :P

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Finical wrote: »
    ****ing nepotism when playing at a younger level. Managers playing their sons/friends or whatever and me sitting on the bench when I'm ten times better than them...not being arrogant. :pac:

Fcukin hated that!I ended up playing one week in a friendly,scored 4 goals and was put on the bench the next week with the managers son playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Us keepers are expected to save everything that comes our way and our kickout are meant to go halfway. Give us a break, even the best keepers don't save some simple shots.

Put it this way if I did what Gomes did against Fulham in 2009 I would be dropped, no questions asked.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

Getting a "walk over" after turning up for a match.
    When some 20 stone lad "shoulders" you into the barriers in a game of astro.
    All the sand/rubber that does be in your runners after astro.
    Parents on side lines.

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Holy sh!t, are you sure that is football that you're playing at all?!

i dunno what it is, but it sure aint the beautiful game! it goes back to the normal when the outsdoor starts, but its mad over here, i dont really like it at all. Nothing is played to feet they all hoof and expect you to chase it down to the corner and try do something, every time piss's me off no end .

and all the corners are rounded off :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Lads hatching on the astro turf, defeats the whole purpose of having a game of ball. They're the same fckers who let the head drop if their team goes down by a few goals and don't bother doing anything after that. Complete and utter spacewasters, paying a fiver for a game of ball then not bothering their arses on the pitch.

Theres always one guy standing like a spare prick shouting:

"here here HERE me me MEEEEEEEEE pass pass pass PASS PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ".

Two things happen.

1: You don't pass to him. Cue howls of derision and blasphemous anger from him directed at you. "For fcuk sake I was on you stupid cnut" etc etc

2. You pass to him. He promptly loses it. "what kind of a fcuking pass was that you stupid cnut." etc etc

Sigh. Shouting obscenities like you're Roy Keane doesn't make you a good player mate, you need to be able to back it up a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

+1 for hating the nepotism.

When I was 13 I was playing goalkeeper for the district team, yet wasnt starting for my Sunday team because the manager's best mate's plod of a son was in goal. I was being brought on when 3 or 4-0 down, would make a string of saves and still lose, so I stopped going, two weeks later I got a phone call from the manager saying the other goalie "wasnt up to it" and he wanted me back, told him I'd think about it and never went back, next year they didnt have a team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement