Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onion flakes?

Options
  • 10-02-2011 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

One of my recipes (cajun rub) calls for this, but I can't find it anywhere. I've got onion powder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Ikea food section

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Ah, "Ikea". That bastion of Swedish students and people who live in flats, but useless to us folk who don't live in Dublin.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

tesco sometimes have them

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

corblimey wrote: »
    I've got onion powder?
    Where did you get this?

Tesco sell fried onions now, quite expensive, I got big tub in the asian supermarket on georges street in dublin city, they are lovely, sort of like crisps.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Where did you get this?

Tesco sell fried onions now, quite expensive, I got big tub in the asian supermarket on georges street in dublin city, they are lovely, sort of like crisps.

Beg your pardon, it's onion "granules" (same thing, I think) and it's in a Tesco branded spice jar. My problem is I have no idea where I got the recipe from, so can't even point people at it to get alternatives. I'll check Tesco again on Saturday, but might have to drop it (or just get pre-mixed cajun seasoning)

Just checked tesco online, never saw that in the shop before, I had seen onion salt which was expensive and full of salt. Those granules are pricey, I hate that, the bulk of the price is probably the glass jar! I was hoping it would be an Asian store with it in bulk.

Anyways, doing a search it seems onion flakes are just roughly cut onions which are dehydrated, onion powder is the same thing but they are then ground up to a flour. I imagine your granules would be fine.

I might try making my own powder, on a site it said to just chop up onions and dry them out in an oven a low heat, then put them in a blender.

Thanks rubadub I gave up and just bought the pre-made rub. Oh well.

I think we might be talking about 2 different things wrt the onion granules. I don't have access to the Tesco online, but I noticed when shopping this morning that they had own-brand plastic jars of the stuff for something like 1.50. Now I don't know you, and maybe 1.50 is pricey for something you'd use rarely, but I just wanted to let you know - it certainly wasn't a glass jar.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Hi Rubadub ,
    What aisle in Tesco were the fried onions in , I used to eat them by the bucket ( they're very tasty on bread ) when I lived in Denmark , and would love to be able to buy them here .

Thanks

corblimey wrote: »
    Now I don't know you, and maybe 1.50 is pricey for something you'd use rarely, but I just wanted to let you know - it certainly wasn't a glass jar.
    I think its the same thing, I must have mistaken it for a glass jar, it looks like those spice jars which are usually glass (hence the higher cost) I don't remember if I even picked up the jar.

897%5C5031021125897%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

It is only 58g and €1.34, I see this as expensive as I love onion taste and would use loads of it, this is why I would prefer to get it in bulk in some asian store, catering size. Its not too bad I suppose, it probably takes 500g of onions to make the 58g.
    ninja 12 wrote: »
    What aisle in Tesco were the fried onions in , I used to eat them by the bucket ( they're very tasty on bread )
    there was a odd section with Japanese foods and it was sort of between them and ketchups. My tesco is very odd lately, stuff crops up all over the place, its like they don't know where to put it, odd foods like that are hard to place. I will have a look again to see what else was around it, or just ask a worker. I can't find them online. I got my big container in an Asian food shop, I think it was in georges street in dublin city.

• Advertisement

there was a odd section with Japanese foods and it was sort of between them and ketchups. My tesco is very odd lately, stuff crops up all over the place, its like they don't know where to put it, odd foods like that are hard to place. I will have a look again to see what else was around it, or just ask a worker. I can't find them online. I got my big container in an Asian food shop, I think it was in georges street in dublin city.

Thanks for the info ,
    I'll have a look around the next ime I go to Tesco :)

Just back from there myself and couldn't see the fried ones where I thought they were, went around to get the granules and they were out of them too :mad:

Just back from there myself and couldn't see the fried ones where I thought they were, went around to get the granules and they were out of them too :mad:

I'm just back from Sainsbury's , Newry .
    Guess what I found there ? Crispy fried onions !!!
    They were at the end of the same aisle as the ketchup / relish .

I just had the tastiest sandwich I've had in a long time :D Crusty fresh bread , plenty of butter and a load of crispy onions on top :D

If I hadn't spotted this thread , I would have never known that they were available in Ireland .

I think I'll have a go making my own, I reckon I will chop up onions finely, toss them in some oil and put them on one of those non-stick baking sheets in the oven on a lowish heat.

I found a place selling 500g of onion powder in the UK but with post it costed more than the tiny packs in tesco.

I have to stock up on chinese curry sauce so will be in the shop in georges street to and report back here if I find onions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The crispy fried onions you get in the Asian stores are made by tossing chopped onion or shallot in flour and deep frying them as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

You can also get crispy fried garlic in the Asian stores.

If you are ever having oysters, a dab of chilli sauce and some crispy onions and crispy garlic is excellent.

Advertisement