Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BTEA query

• 10-02-2011 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I will try to explain my situation as clearly as I can in case someone can help. Since 1st sept 2010 I have been on means tested JSA because my claim for JSB was rejected as I did not work in 2008 and 2010 qualifying year was 2008(only year I never worked). Since Jan 2011 I am eligible for JSB as I worked 4 months in 2009 (sept to dec) and from jan to august 2010. When I called into welfare office to change over, I was advised to stay on JSA as it is marginally higher than full JSB (takes into account husband's considerably reduced income from self employment and 4 children). I explained I wanted to do the correct thing as if I get a place as mature student, I will have to apply for BTEA. They said I would be eligible regardless of whether on JSB or JSA but if my JSA claim started on 1st Sept 2010 will it be up by 1st Sept 2011 or is this mean tested allowance independent of my now eligible JSB claim? In other words will my prsi contributions be counted from last september or this january? Sorry for being so long winded, is just the more I try to sort it out the more confused I get! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I'm confused!
    I don't know what the issue actually is?

But I think your local office is advising you that you do not qualify for the full rate of JSB, so to stay on JSA. Basically, you will get more money every week on JSA than JSB. There is no difference between the two for BTEA purposes at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭2ndchance

Thanks, I knew I'd end up confusing someone! I think I'll call back into office to be absolutely sure I'm going by the book as if I manage to get my college place it would be terrible if I messed it up on the btea end. Thanks anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

2ndchance wrote: »
    Thanks, I knew I'd end up confusing someone! I think I'll call back into office to be absolutely sure I'm going by the book as if I manage to get my college place it would be terrible if I messed it up on the btea end. Thanks anyway

I think you are worrying needlessly. If you are on the full rate of JSA, you have nothing to worry about. There is absolutely no difference between JSA and JSB for qualifying for BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭2ndchance

Thanks for the reassurance. All I need now is to get a place in college!

• Advertisement
Advertisement