Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can i claim Rent Allowence

Options
  • 10-02-2011 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Im on disability and more then likely wont be coming off it any time soon.
    i also receive a grant for education. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jano1

Niamh2389 wrote: »
    Im on disability and more then likely wont be coming off it any time soon.
    i also receive a grant for education. :)

You can't normally get rent allowance if you are in full time education, which I assume you are as you are in receipt of a grant for education? If you switch to BTEA then you will lose the maintenance part of the grant as you can't get both but may still qualify for free reg fees. If you satisfy the conditions for rent allowance you can get BTEA and rent allow. BTEA gives you a €500 cost of education allow at the start of each new academic year. You keep your free travel pass and medical card if you switch to BTEA. For a single person, the current rate of BTEA is €188 per week. If you get the highest rate of maintenance grant it probably is not worth your while to switch to BTEA.

Advertisement