Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why not Adelaide

Options
  • 10-02-2011 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I've been on this forum for a while now, just trying to find out as much as I can about Oz before I go over. It seems to me (I may be wrong) that the majority of people who head over all look towards melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and even all the way up to Perth.. I've noticed few people seem to be saying they are going to, or indeed are living in Adelaide.. Why is that? Capital city and all that, suppose to be nice.. Is there no work or affordable accomodation or what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭shu

I don't know what Adelaide is like but Canberra is the capital of Australia :)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

shu wrote: »
    I don't know what Adelaide is like but Canberra is the capital of Australia :)

Of course I meant the captital of south Australia

*ahem*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I reckon (hope) he meant that it's a state capital... And Adelaide is...nice. I wasn't wowed by it though, and would certainly lean more towards Melbourne, Brisbane or Perth based on my own experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭shu

Sorry. You never know with some people on this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Adelaide is nice. Nice being a very appropriate word for it! Very much a place to settle down in in think. I'm moving there in 7 weeks for sex love ;)

unemployement is low, accomodation is reasonable, plenty of construction going on at the moment. It gets feckin hot in summer, and feckin cold in the winter. Lots of lovely people. Has a small well planned CBD that's easy to get across. There's wine regions, festivals etc. It takes a lot of stick for being smaller than the other cities, out by itself, and without the crazy nightlife other cities have, but it's a nice place to live and there's feck all irish there! Lots of italians, greeks, brits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

My Australian friends who have had to go or have family there tell me its boring and just like a big country town (They sarcastically call it Rad-elaide). People coming over tend to gravitate towards places where there is lots to do and see. Adelaide isn’t really one of these places compared to Melbourne, Sydney, Perth and Brisbane.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

Adelaide is nice. Nice being a very appropriate word for it! Very much a place to settle down in in think. I'm moving there in 7 weeks for sex love ;)

unemployement is low, accomodation is reasonable, plenty of construction going on at the moment. It gets feckin hot in summer, and feckin cold in the winter. Lots of lovely people. Has a small well planned CBD that's easy to get across. There's wine regions, festivals etc. It takes a lot of stick for being smaller than the other cities, out by itself, and without the crazy nightlife other cities have, but it's a nice place to live and there's feck all irish there! Lots of italians, greeks, brits.

Wooly is spot on. I have been here 2 years with the family and we love it here. Very few Irish, quiet city life, something to do every weekend, great weather, plenty of work. Happy days.

seipeal1 wrote: »
    I have been here 2 years
    actually, maybe you don't know, but I have to ask. Any idea where a man can get a decent pint of guinness? not expecting mothers milk, best of a bad lot will do! :o Couldn't find much when i was there last

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

actually, maybe you don't know, but I have to ask. Any idea where a man can get a decent pint of guinness? not expecting mothers milk, best of a bad lot will do! :o Couldn't find much when i was there last

Not the best place in the world for a decent pint of uncle Arthur. Going to Mick o sheas pub down south this Sunday for the first time so will let you know. Finn mcCools in norwood average, Daniel o connell in north Adelaide ok, pj o'briens east terrace decent enough IMO. You have to keep searching!!!

seipeal1 wrote: »
    pj o'briens east terrace
    lol! :D but i understand why though! Cheers :) must check out Daniel o connell, always seemed to just pass by north adelaide without ever stopping.

• Advertisement
Advertisement