Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bayonete LED light bulbs (see pics)

Options
  • 10-02-2011 9:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

I got 2 of these new "Greenlamp" 3W LED lightbulbs today to see how they look and what the light is like.

They are rated at the same as a normal 40W bulb,but I can tell you right now,they are more closer to 60W in brightness.

Light is slightly more towards white than warm white,but its not too off putting.I got used to the light fairly fast.:)

I have installed 1 on the landing upstairs and also 1 in the spare bedroom,and they are decent enough.They also come in an E27 screw fitting too.

Cost me 10 euro each.

A very good alternative to the old 60w bulb,and a quite reasonable and good alternative to 11W CFL energy saving bulbs.;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

they'll prob 'pack up' after a week or two:D

looks like one of those things for catching flies

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

M cebee wrote: »
    they'll prob 'pack up' after a week or two

Supposedly 10 year lifespan based on 6 hours usage per day,according to the box they came in.

Bought from N&D Electrical Wholesalers in Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Why would you spend 10 euros on a bulb:confused:

maringo wrote: »

I have spent alot more than 10 euro on bulbs recently,trust me.;)

Short term pain,for long term gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

come out of the closet paddy:D

you're a rep

• Advertisement

M cebee wrote: »
    come out of the closet paddy:D

you're a rep

Im not a rep at all,and dont have anything to do with lighting or bulbs for a living,Im actually in the IT/construction sector.

I just decided to buy 2 of these bulbs and see what they are like.

I mean,thats how you see what works and what doesnt.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the question is, why WOULDN'T you if it's going to save you money in the long run when it's using one 13th of the power of a 40 watt bulb?

I'm with airtricity (whom afaik are pretty cheap compared to ESB) so, based on my last bill of €143.38 for the month for using 853kWh of electricity, the approx. cost of a 40w bulb used for 24 hours would be:

40W = 0.04kW, so 0.04kW * 24 hours = 0.96kWhrs,

so cost is €0.16/kWhr * 0.96kWhrs = €0.15

= 15c cent per 24 hours to run (roughly).

i'm not the best with maths, so I might have gotten that wrong. :o

if anyone wants to do it themselves to double check me, feel free, i won't be upset, i promise. :)

by comparison, the 3w bulb is going to cost less than 2c per day to run and last 6-12 times longer than your regular 40w bulb, so at €10 for a bulb it's a very good investment*, even if you were getting your 40w bulbs for free (which you probably aren't).

unless of course my maths turns out to be shite! :D

Im going to go back to the wholesalers and get more of these,for the front porch,2 for the upstairs landing and some for the bedrooms too.

I put a small lamp shade over the LED bulb on the landing area,and it actually gives a nice light tone.Not too bright,but not too dark or dull,just nice.

Its also not warm white,but its not white either,its somewhere in between.Buts its nice enough and its easy to live with.

And at only 3W,its good enough for me too.:)

These combined with the Philips Master GU10 LED lights,will mean that every light in my house will now be LED,apart from the 2 dimmable CFL light bulbs in my floor lamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

I'd go led when the prices come down to something reasonable - currently using cfls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Why not if curious about them.

• Advertisement

I'd go led when the prices come down to something reasonable - currently using cfls

While leccy bills are currently on the way up and will go even higher as the year progresses.

Also having a young family that likes to put lights on alot and leave them on alot is another things I considered,with regards my bills and changing to LED bulbs.Also the issue of severe heat build up from older bulbs,there is virtually none with LED bulbs.

So,its short term pain,for long term gain.;)

vibe666 wrote: »
    the question is, why WOULDN'T you if it's going to save you money in the long run when it's using one 13th of the power of a 40 watt bulb?

I'm with airtricity (whom afaik are pretty cheap compared to ESB) so, based on my last bill of €143.38 for the month for using 853kWh of electricity, the approx. cost of a 40w bulb used for 24 hours would be:

40W = 0.04kW, so 0.04kW * 24 hours = 0.96kWhrs,

so cost is €0.16/kWhr * 0.96kWhrs = €0.15

= 15c cent per 24 hours to run (roughly).

i'm not the best with maths, so I might have gotten that wrong. :o

if anyone wants to do it themselves to double check me, feel free, i won't be upset, i promise. :)

by comparison, the 3w bulb is going to cost less than 2c per day to run and last 6-12 times longer than your regular 40w bulb, so at €10 for a bulb it's a very good investment*, even if you were getting your 40w bulbs for free (which you probably aren't).

unless of course my maths turns out to be shite! :D

No it looks ok your calculation there, for the led one paddy has up it would be about 1.1 cent for the 24 hours

robbie7730 wrote: »
    No it looks ok your calculation there, for the led one paddy has up it would be about 1.1 cent for the 24 hours

Thats just far too much,I cant afford that.:D

paddy147 wrote: »
    Thats just far too much,I cant afford that.:D

Not now after buying the lamps anyway:D

Not now after buying the lamps anyway:D

PMSL.:D

Sod it though,its the only way things progress in this world and how you know what works and what doesnt.

I took a chance on the Sparsam dimmable CFL bulbs,for the 2 floor/upstand lamps.

I didnt believe that they would really be "dimmable" and be CFL too,but true to their word,they are both and look very nice indeed,nice warm white.:)

So I,ll see how things go with these 3W LED bayonete bulbs too.But so far so good.

Pic of the Sparsam CFL dimmable bulbs in action.
    Floor lamp on the left is on full whack,lamp on the right is dimmed by 50%.

paddy147 wrote: »
    PMSL.:D

Sod it though,its the only way things progress in this world and how you know what works and what doesnt.

I took a chance on the Sparsam dimmable CFL bulbs,for the 2 floor/upstand lamps.

I didnt believe that they would really be "dimmable" and be CFL too,but true to their word,they are both and look very nice indeed,nice warm white.:)

So I,ll see how things go with these 3W LED bayonete bulbs too,

Pic of the CFO dimmable bulbs in action.
    Floor lamp on the left is on full whack,lamp on the right is dimmed by 50%.

No your right, i would get one if i see them anywhere near to try them out as well. Very handy if you wanted to leave a light on all night as well.

No your right, i would get one if i see them anywhere near to try them out as well. Very handy if you wanted to leave a light on all night as well.

I got Greenlamp LED bulbs in N&D Wholesalers in Wicklow.

Do N&D have a place in Nutgrove too??

I also have some adjustable dush till dawn CFL bulbs too,you can adjust them so that they come on when a certain level of darkness falls,and they will stay on till dawn and when a certain level of daylight hits them,they switch off.

They are a 15W CFL bulb,14-15 euro per bulb,but a good handy bulb to have and also with regards security too.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

so, if the bulbs lasted for 10 years at 6 hours use per day, that's 6 x 365 x 10 = 21,900 hours (912.5 days) at 1.1c per day = €10.03 to run over the course of the 10 years life, rather than the €136.88 it would cost to run a regular 40w bulb for the same amount of time.

I have a total of 22 bulbs in my house (currently all CFL), so i could still save money by investing in LED bulbs, but if (as an example) i replaced 22 regular 40w bulbs with 3w LED bulbs it should look something like this:

we'd have to assume i used *some* of the bulbs at various times, but its impossible to be completely accurate, so if we say on average i have the equiv. of 3x 40w bulbs on for 24 hours a day.

3x 40w x 24 hours = €0.45 x 365 days = €164.25 x 10 years = €1642.50

3x 3w x 24 hours = €0.033 x 365 days = €12.05 x 10 years = €120.45

total LED bulb cost = €220

even at relatively low usage there's a chunk of cash to be saved long term and the bulbs will have paid for themselves within a couple of years*.

* again, assuming my maths isn't screwy. :D

I got a bunch of CFL bulbs in IKEA about 4 years ago to replace my 22 regular bulbs and so far (touch wood) only one of them has blown.

very cheap and does the job too, even managed to get some CFL spots to go in the kitchen and replace the regular spotlights which were blowing every 3 months or so and not had a single problem with the IKEA ones yet at all.

something like these ones:

resize?sq=80&uid=2363323488

they take about 45 seconds to get up to full brightness, but they've been great and lasted ages so far. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Are they dimmable? They'd be good for locations like hallways and landings where they'd have a long duty cycle - provided you had a good lamp shade!

I'd be interested to see how will they look after a year or so i.e. will there be any drop in performance. I remember seeing led spotlights in a hotel corridor last year, where they would be switched on 24x7 and my feeling was that they were a couple of years old but they were down to an absolute glimmer compared to new ones. So while they were still working, they weren't really very useable for their full stated lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Princess Lou

LED bulbs are becoming more efficient now and are better built then before but it depends what provider you go with and will usually have to pay more money for a LED bulb with a good quality LED chip in it. Lots of the bulbs out there are rubbish in my opinion. drBill some LED bulbs are dimmable but you can get AC Dimmable bulbs and also DC Dimmable bulbs so just make sure which one you want if you are purchasing them. Most LEDs if they have a good chip in them should retain their brightness for the full lifetime

• Advertisement
Advertisement