Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Funding for self employed

Options
  • 10-02-2011 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

HI

I am curently self employed but at the way things are going probably not for much longer. I am currently doing a FETAC in digital photography in LCFE night time, and if i am successful they run a two year full time course in Photography which i might consider. However as i have been self employed for the last ten years with a wife and two young kids i find the whole prospect of going back into education financially frightening. My wife only works part time and cannot extend her hours. I am very afraid if i return to education it will leave us on the bread ine for two years. What would my options be, or has anyone out there been where i am now? Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 emart100

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    HI

I am curently self employed but at the way things are going probably not for much longer. I am currently doing a FETAC in digital photography in LCFE night time, and if i am successful they run a two year full time course in Photography which i might consider. However as i have been self employed for the last ten years with a wife and two young kids i find the whole prospect of going back into education financially frightening. My wife only works part time and cannot extend her hours. I am very afraid if i return to education it will leave us on the bread ine for two years. What would my options be, or has anyone out there been where i am now? Any advice appreciated

Hi Tommy,

If you can make a case for with your city enterprise board there may be some funding available to you. This would involve outlining the cost and duration of the course and stating your prospects of employment or starting a new business upon it's completion. The amount of money allocated for these programmes is limited but it may be a help.

It is also worth speaking to a DSFA jobs facilitator. You will probably have to go on a waiting list for an appointment but if you go armed with as much info as you can, he may be able to offer you some assistance. Ironically if you become unemployed on a full time basis this probably opens up your options much more, whereby you might be entitled to receive payments while attending a full time course of your choice.

You are probably aware of the obstacles thrown into your path as a self employed person, so just make sure you have all the facts before making any decision. Many of the entitlements freely on offer to the general population are not offered to the self employed, or even those who used to be!!! Another source of advice may be a local area partnerhip group. Tough times but keep knocking on doors and best of luck with it.

Eamonn

Advertisement