Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

On JSA and child reaches 18 years, help!

• 10-02-2011 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5 Plainandpurl

I have received a letter from child benefit today stating that as my son turns 18 this month, I will no longer receive child benefit for him. Am furious as thought he would receive this until he finished school in the summer. As I am on JSA have also had the cuts there as well. Was wondering will I lose the dependent child amount I receive in that as well, or as he is now 18 and not a minor should I receive the adult dependent amount. Am worried sick as still have to pay for leaving cert exams etc., any info would be appreciated.

Comments

If he is still in full time edu can't he get that child benefit form up to 19 or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Child Benefit stops once your child reaches 18, whether in school or not.
    If you are on JSA, and your child is in school, just provide a letter to your local office from the school stating this, and your child dependent increase will continue until 3 months after the child finishes school.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Plainandpurl

Thanks cee jay, was just worried that I was going to lose his allowance on top of child benefit and cuts etc., should be no prob getting letter from school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

and as far as i know, because you are on a social welfare payment, doesn't the government pay the fee for your son to sit his lc exams? they did in my day. (i did my lc in early 2000s). i never paid anything. don't know if things have changed or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

hdowney wrote: »
    and as far as i know, because you are on a social welfare payment, doesn't the government pay the fee for your son to sit his lc exams? they did in my day. (i did my lc in early 2000s). i never paid anything. don't know if things have changed or not

That help is still there - it goes with the Medical Card.

You MAY also be entitled to the following additional benefits if you have a Medical Card:

No need to pay the health portion of your social insurance (PRSI)
    Free transport to school for children who live 3 miles or more from the nearest school
    Exemption from state examination fees in public second-level schools
    Financial help with buying school books. The benefits above are available from the relevant government department

• Advertisement
Advertisement