Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

remi 700sps?

Options
  • 10-02-2011 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

hi all im thinking of getting a remington 700sps in .243 what do ya's reckon on this model? pro's and cons please. i can just about afford a new one of these.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Typical Remington fare, good action...OOOKK trigger and ****e stock!!
    My .223 started life as a SPS, now all is left of the original rifle is the action and even that has had work done.:rolleyes:

unless you intend on pimping / customising it over time, i would consider a second hand Tika T3 of some description

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Typical Remington fare, good action...OOOKK trigger and ****e stock!!
    My .223 started life as a SPS, now all is left of the original rifle is the action and even that has had work done.:rolleyes:

unless you intend on pimping / customising it over time, i would consider a second hand Tika T3 of some description

Get a laminate stock on the Tikka cos their polymer ones whatever it is are crap too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Vegeta wrote: »
    Get a laminate stock on the Tikka cos their polymer ones whatever it is are crap too.

i resemble that remark:D

i love my plastic or whatever it is stock on my tikka:p

the sps is what it is. an affordable rifle. you can of course over time add a trigger or change a stock to make it better so for that it is a good rifle to learn on and as your abilities improve you can pimp the rifle to keep up with your new skill.

i am a tikka fan so i would recommend one as they are a straight shooter out of the box even second hand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

what belowaverageiq said, I bought a remington sps in .223 3or4 years ago and I wish I could go back and tell myself to buy a tikka instead or even a bog standard cz would shoot better than the sps. It'd cost you more in the long run on aftermaket parts to get the sps shooting as well as a tikka than just buying a tikka in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Bought a stainless sps sporter 2 years ago.
    The trigger is not great, the stock was horrible.
    but hey it was quite accurate from the start.
    Tricked it up a bit in the meantime and really enjoying the rifle.

So,
    Bad points, stock, trigger, drop plate mag system (doesn't feed well)
    Good points: very light action, plenty bits available to replace as time goes on, most remmy barrels shoot well.

Howa would be another alternative. I think the design of the Howa
    action which is almost an exact copy of an old sako would be way ahead
    of tikka, remmy or newer sakos for that matter. A bit heavier than remmy
    though. Trigger can be adjusted very well.

All rifles have good and bad points.

...I'd buy a remmy again.

edi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    i resemble that remark:D

i love my plastic or whatever it is stock on my tikka:p

Only part of the rifle I don't like is the stock. I have the varmint which is non adjustable. Cheek piece/butt feels cheap, thin and flimsy while the fore end flexes very very easily.

It's a personal preference things really, I would prefer a stock more rigid in the fore end with more substance (not weight mind) in the butt

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

a tika t3 light can be got in islandsports mayo for 750 any cal, well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jay.b

a tika t3 light can be got in islandsports mayo for 750 any cal, well worth it

sold out im afraid :(
    anyone know of any second hand models going? ive been shopping around and used 243's are thin on the ground at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ROSSKI

sold out im afraid
    anyone know of any second hand models going? ive been shopping around and used 243's are thin on the ground at the mo.

Just seen a nice second hand tikka t3 tactical in .243 in Norman Harpurs (Think it is 600 pounds) - Would be definitely worth a look;)

ROSSKI wrote: »
    sold out im afraid

Just seen a nice second hand tikka t3 tactical in .243 in Norman Harpurs (Think it is 600 pounds) - Would be definitely worth a look;)

Tactical doesn't come in .243. Only .223, .308 & .300 win mag.
    If it is a 243 chances are it's a super varmint. And at that price is very good.
    Does it have a picatiny rail and adjustable cheek piece. And was it in mat black or stainless steel

• Advertisement

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    Tactical doesn't come in .243. Only .223, .308 & .300 win mag.
    If it is a 243 chances are it's a super varmint. And at that price is very good.
    Does it have a picatiny rail and adjustable cheek piece. And was it in mat black or stainless steel

here it is http://www.normanharpur.com/component/page,shop.product_details/category_id,4/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,250/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,26/

check out the deal on the remi 770 for 480 quid. anyone had any expieriance with the 770?

jay.b wrote: »
    here it is http://www.normanharpur.com/component/page,shop.product_details/category_id,4/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,250/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,26/

check out the deal on the remi 770 for 480 quid. anyone had any expieriance with the 770?

Ya that is a tikka t3 super varmint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

ya thats a super varmint,

how much are you willing to spend?

if you want a gun that you can take out of the box slap a scope on it and go shooting and never do anything to it ever again buy a cz american or tikka t3 lite or hunter, they are both basic, no frills guns that are accurate, on the other hand if you want something that will get you by until you can add some bits and pieces to over a space of time until the gun is perfect for you, buy a remington sps
    or if you find a nice second remmy cdl or bdl for nice money it would be a good buy

lads what do ya's reckon on the howa 1500??? located a used one, might go take a look at it after the weekend :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

lads what do ya's reckon on the howa 1500??? located a used one, might go take a look at it after the weekend :confused:

Good strong well built rifle.

Edi loves his anyway

I've only handled a few of them though....

Wild-Dog-Howa-Thumbhole-Tactical-260Rem.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I know a guy who got one in 243. He said it is very accurate.

Advertisement