Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neg head pump, where to buy?

• 10-02-2011 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi, Just wondering where to buy a negative head/universal twin 1.5 bar pump. Chadwicks want 610 euro for a Stuart Turner. getting it from the UK works out about 500 but need to worry about uk versus Irish fittings and voiding the warranty.
    Thinking B&Q but would prefer a no-trouble solution and although I might save a few bob in the short term I might pay for it when it acts up.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Neg Head Pump in Heatmerchants is €650 including VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

try hevac, defo cheaper than heatmerchants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Go to NG Power in Ballymount. They don't sell anything else only pumps and are extremely helpful. Also if you are buying it for a shower I think you would be better with a 3 bar pump. 1.5 bar was great 20 years ago. But people now want more powerful showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

thanks for the responses, great to get help from those in the know. Just wondering what to expect from 1.5 bar when the water arrives to the mixer - what pressure would I need to get close to a power shower? Not sure how neg head compares to positive head, but it seems neg head pumps are a good deal dearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

For my money i would buy a monsoon 1,5 bat neg head from DPL. Make sure it was sourced through modern plant who are the irish agents....

That way you will get a good back up service...

If you dont do it this way by the cheapest possible because you are fooked for service either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

Thanks Joey, but what do you think of Grundfos 1.5 neg head which DPL have for 500 inc vat? Am I right in thinking I need a Neg head pump when the water tank is about a metre above the shower head in the loft. The hot cylinder is under the stairs on the ground floor. Does a neg head pump just work harder than a pos head one or is there more to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Monsoon pumps are the best on the market at the moment. 1.5bar is plenty on a negative head pump ,no comparison with a standard pump.

seosamh wrote: »
    Thanks Joey, but what do you think of Grundfos 1.5 neg head which DPL have for 500 inc vat? Am I right in thinking I need a Neg head pump when the water tank is about a metre above the shower head in the loft. The hot cylinder is under the stairs on the ground floor. Does a neg head pump just work harder than a pos head one or is there more to it?

Nothing wrong with Grundfos. DPL is selling them because Modern plant(monsoon agents in ireland) are most likely proving difficult to deal with. The best thing to do is look up on the internet why you need a negative head. In a standard arrangement you should not need negative. Its generally only needed when tanks are dropped in the attic or you live in apartments. You cannot use a positive head where a negative is required its essentially a pressurised pump.
    yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Monsoon pumps are the best on the market at the moment. 1.5bar is plenty on a negative head pump ,no comparison with a standard pump.

Where are you buying them. I hear DPL have stopped them and heatmerchants are buying grundfos and no names.

Where are you buying them. I hear DPL have stopped them and heatmerchants are buying grundfos and no names.

Got one a few weeks ago in H&V

sky6 wrote: »
    Go to NG Power in Ballymount. They don't sell anything else only pumps and are extremely helpful. Also if you are buying it for a shower I think you would be better with a 3 bar pump. 1.5 bar was great 20 years ago. But people now want more powerful showers.

Thats NJ Power. Your right they are brilliant. With due respect though. Times dont dictate the pump your system dictates the pump. Most systems only have the tank capacity and the shower capacity to require a 1.5 bar neg head pump. You cannot just decide to fit a 3 bar. It can give you capacity problems....Put quite simply...putting a 3 bar pump on a system only designed to take 1 bar is like useing a Jet engine to drive to the corner shop...It can be done...But extremely uneconomical and over spec'd
    yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Got one a few weeks ago in H&V

Cool. Never though of them.

• Advertisement

It can give you capacity problems...

Bigger the pump the more noise aswell

Advertisement