Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Chemists that deliver to Ireland

Options
  • 10-02-2011 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got an updated list of UK chemists that deliver to Ireland.

chemistdirect.co.uk is quoting €15 del for a few packs of baby tablets/gels etc.

Only over the counter stuff, like Bonjella, teetha and bottle teats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 citroman

I've bought stuff of these recently, good service and delivery.

http://www.mistrys.co.uk/

Citroman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

www.pharmacyathand.co.uk are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,160 ✭✭✭✭muffler

www.pharmacyfirst.co.uk

Just placed my first order with them last week so I have no idea how efficient they are. Delivery charge was £2.95 which is a hell of a lot better that the £8+ that others are charging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭gavney1

have used biovea.net

good range, good prices. not sure what delivery charge was, but they deliver to ireland within a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭golfbgud

What items are worth buying online?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Bonjella, paracetamol, ibrophen, teeth, nipple cream, Calpol(own brand) saline drops, vit D drops and gripe water.

Just about every thing. I got a friend to get me 5 items in Wales last month and I saved about 15euro.

muffler wrote: »
    www.pharmacyfirst.co.uk

Just placed my first order with them last week so I have no idea how efficient they are. Delivery charge was £2.95 which is a hell of a lot better that the £8+ that others are charging

Just ordered 7 items and postage is 2.95.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Just ordered 7 items and postage is 2.95.
    Just got my order delivered today. I was looking back through the emails and the order was placed on Feb. 3 so not the fastest or the slowest either.

The £2.95 shipping is a big factor especially if your order is small in value. It gives a bit more incentive to order.

They also appear to be very reasonable with their prices compared to other pharmacies who deliver here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Ordered from www.pharmacyfirst.co.uk a few days ago after reading your post muffler:) Good to know how long they may take. Prices are great. Made an order of about £37 and shipping was free for me, hoping they'll honour that as it says its only UK addresses are free above the £35. £2.95 is a great price for p&p anyway if they do get back to me. Was your package delivered by normal post or courier, Muffler? Always find I get things faster by post!

lindtee wrote: »
    Was your package delivered by normal post or courier, Muffler? Always find I get things faster by post!
    Ordinary post. The front door flew open this morning and the postie just drops a large(ish) envelope/package inside the door and he's off again :) Thats the way he does it - if its any bigger than a standard envelope he just opens the door and throws it in but its a lot handier for both of us. Sorry, off topic a bit :)

Back on topic the prices do seem good and with the small (or free in your case) amount for P & P make it even more attractive. Im sure I'll be back shopping there again.

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    www.pharmacyfirst.co.uk

Just got my delivery today; delighted,though delivery was quite slow. I ordered on the 16th of Feb.. so 2 weeks.

For €15 Delivered I got Generic

Ibprofen 48 tabs
    Asperin 32 tabs
    Calpol 200 ml
    Hydrocortisone Crm 15g
    Bonjella 15g
    Haytek Hayfever tabs 14 tabs
    Alertek Hayfever 7 tabs
    Pantaloc 12 tabs
    Zivorax 2g
    PAracetamol 64 tabs

I asked for most of these in the local chemist and they said they can't stock them as they don't have a PA licence.

The Irish medicines Board have a lot to answer for.

though delivery was quite slow. I ordered on the 16th of Feb.. so 2 weeks.
    12 days which was exactly the same delivery time as my order.

You got a lot of stuff there for a very, very reasonable price :)

My next order will include 8 Gillette mach 3 blades which they are selling at £8.74. Cant find a better price than that.

Haven't received my parcel yet, but got a letter from customs today stating that they seized part of my order:(:(

Items seized - (as per letter) 48 tabs Ibuprofen, 64 tabs paracetamol, 60 tabs Loratadine, 1 ibuprofen gel, 2 hydrocortisone, 1 daktarin. Total value of those items was £7.14, but at a rough estimate I would reckon would pay at least 3 times that here. Grrrrrrr.

I expect the rest of my order to be here tomorrow, but really pissed off with it. They were just medicine cabinet supplies and would have lasted me a couple of years. Had forgotten to order calpol etc but maybe just as well as they probably would have seized that aswell. There are other items that I ordered that I would have thought similar to the ones seized, ie - only available behind the chemist counter but they weren't mentioned on the letter.

Would it be worth contacting pharmacyfirst for a refund of the items seized or do I just take the hit?:o Will the items be returned to them or destroyed?

Update - Got a phonecall from my dad (I get some things delivered there) to say there was a letter from the Irish medicine board which I told him to open :( He didn't have his glasses on so couldn't read some bits:pac: But the gist is that I have to tell them where I ordered the medication from and where I heard of it, there was also some of the other items that weren't on the custom letter. FFS, try and save a few bob and this happens........just to add that my luck has been very,very bad the past 3 weeks so maybe I was just unlucky to get caught but just be aware if you are thinking of ordering, they seem to be clamping down! Will update with what exactly the letter said later

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Bonjella, paracetamol, ibrophen, teeth, nipple cream, Calpol(own brand) saline drops, vit D drops and gripe water.

Just about every thing. I got a friend to get me 5 items in Wales last month and I saved about 15euro.

:eek:

Sorry teetha.

Can't believe your package was confiscated, love to know what's in the letter.

How can they justify not licencing generic versions of paracetamol / aspirin etc?

I could be the limit on multiply paracetamol purchases, if so I'll change the 5 orders I have done for my friends to their house!

From Irish Health.ie 2001

Regulations which restrict the sale of paracetamol come into effect today.

The new regulations, made last April by the Department of Health, will impose a number of restrictions on the sale of any medicinal products containing paracetamol. These include:

The sale of multiple packs of paracetamol in a single transaction is now prohibited.
    Cautionary and warning statements must appear on the outer packaging of all packs, as well as on the inner leaflet.
    The sale of paracetamol products, which include a second analgesic (painkiller), is prohibited in non-pharmacy outlets.
    The sale of paracetamol products in automatic vending machines is prohibited.
    When taken in large amounts, paracetamol can cause liver damage, coma and death. The drug was implicated in nearly 1,500 overdose cases in Ireland in 1999.

The Department of Health is calling on all retailers, importers and other persons marketing medicinal products containing paracetamol, to ensure that they abide by the new regulations from today.

A separate challenge to the regulations by a pharmaceutical firm is before the High Court.

Re: Importation of a medicinal Product
    Dear Lindtee
    Its has come to the attention of the Irish Medicines Board that you imported the following medicinal products into Ireland from United Kingdom
    Ibuprofen
    Loratadine
    Hydrocortisone
    Miconazole
    Paracetamol
    Aspirin
    The IMB holds the view that the prodcuts listed are medicinal products Article 1 of European Council Directive 2001/83/EC, as amended by Directive 2004/27/EC defines a medicinal product as follows:
    Any substance or combination of substances presented as having properties for treating or preventing disease in human beings;or
    Any substance or combination of substances which may be used in or administered to human beings either with a view to restoring, correcting or modifying physiological functions by exerting a pharmacological, immunological or metabolic action, or to making a medical diagnosis
    The listed products above are prescription only/pharmacy confined medicinal products pursuant to the terms of the Medicinal Producrs regulations 2003 to 2008. The products may only be supplied in a pharmacy outlet on the production of a prescription issued by a registered medical practitioner or registered dentist
    These products contain the prescription only/pharmacy confined medicinal products
    Ibuprofen
    Loratidine
    Hydrocortisone
    Miconazole
    paracetamol
    Acetylsalic acid
    The products are deemed to be medicinal products pursuant to the terms of the Medicinal products. They may therefore, only be imported, placed on the market or otherwise sold, subject to specific exemptions, in this country providing they have been granted a Product Authorisation granted by the Irish Medicine board or a Marketing Authorisation centrally authorised by the European Commission and comply with the relevant provisions of the Medical Preparations regulations 1993 to 1999. No such authorisation has been granted for these products
    The Irish Medicines Board cannot guarantee the Safety, Efficacy or Quality of any medicinal product that is not authorized by the IMB or by the European Commission
    You are requested within two weeks of the date of this letter to
    1. State the specific sales outlet from which you ordered and purchased these products
    2.How you became aware of the supply outlet
    On the receipt of your response the Irish Medicines board will reassess your case. We look forward to your cooperation in this matter

Still haven't got the remainder of my order which included deodorant, wipes and sweets:mad::mad: Makes me so angry. Someone on another board got homeopathic remedies confiscated, so it looks like nothing is safe. I used to get vitamins, fish oil tablets in particular, from iherb but am afraid to do so now in case I'm on a watch list...sure I'll just have to pay thrice the price here for them:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

I've been using http://www.assetchemist.co.uk/ for over a year now without any problems.

Site has had bad reports here and elsewere but i've never had a problem and savings is worth the risk. Found them a bit slow to reply to emails however. No problems with customs so far but probably luck of the draw

Thanks for the letter, just forwarding this to my TD, some of the generic drugs i got were made in ireland, so quality wasn't an issue.

I'm going to compare the price and ask them to explain it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

hi,has anybody used these sites lately,did your goods get through customs?wmpdd3 did you forward your letter to your td,was there anything he could do to help you?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

I wanted to import a generic version of 'Zirtek' (cetirizine) as generics of this over the counter product are not available in Ireland.

I emailed the IMB and asked them was it OK to import this product and they proceeded to give me the 'it is illegal to import prescription medicines' line and failed to answer my question about OTC drugs.

I refuse to pay extortionate amounts of money for a brand name medicine that can be multiple times cheaper in generic form.
    7 days worth of branded Zirtek is €6 or so in Chemists here, while I can get 30 days of the generic version from chemistdirect for €1.50

The IMB seem to be protecting pharma companies by keeping generics out and the prices high. Total scam.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Shulgin wrote: »
    I wanted to import a generic version of 'Zirtek' (cetirizine) as generics of this over the counter product are not available in Ireland.
    I emailed the IMB and asked them was it OK to import this product and they proceeded to give me the 'it is illegal to import prescription medicines' line and failed to answer my question about OTC drugs.
    I refuse to pay extortionate amounts of money for a brand name medicine that can be multiple times cheaper in generic form.
    7 days worth of branded Zirtek is €6 or so in Chemists here, while I can get 30 days of the generic version from chemistdirect for €1.50
    The IMB seem to be protecting pharma companies by keeping generics out and the prices high. Total scam.

I thought you could import prescription drugs as long as you had a prescription?
    I'm sure there is scope here somewhere to make a complaint to the EU Commission on competition grounds and liberalisation of the common market, in particular in relation to generic OTC drugs.

None of the products I ordered were prescription only. All are available OTC here, yet in any correspondence the IMB referred to them as "Prescription only" When I got around to replying to their letter, I wrote that none of the items were prescription only, but the reply stated they were and in accordance to some law or other, they were to be destroyed. Ridiculous, nothing was "mood altering" or "prescription" and were destroyed.

Furthermore, the remainder of my order which wasn't (according to them) prescription only was due to be forwarded to Customs to be sent back to me and I still haven't received them (Its about 2 weeks since I got a letter stating this) Very pissed off with the whole situation, and afraid to order such things online again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

snubbleste wrote: »
    I thought you could import prescription drugs as long as you had a prescription?
    I'm sure there is scope here somewhere to make a complaint to the EU Commission on competition grounds and liberalisation of the common market, in particular in relation to generic OTC drugs.

It is illegal to receive prescription drugs via post or mail order. You could legally bring an irish prescription to the UK for example and have it filled no problem as long as you carried the drugs home yourself or have someone bring them for you. It's just illegal that you receive them by post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It is illegal to receive prescription drugs via post or mail order. You could legally bring an irish prescription to the UK for example and have it filled no problem as long as you carried the drugs home yourself or have someone bring them for you. It's just illegal that you receive them by post.

Did not know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

When I have gone up to the north, I would stock up on all the generic OTC drugs and supplements, they're so much cheaper its unbelievable the prices being charged here.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

So the question is, is or isn't it illegal to order OTC medicines online from the UK or elsewhere for that matter? If so it is an absolute disgrace. I have been buying OTC stuff from chemistdirect for years now and have had no trouble with customs.

From the letter you got back Lindtee, it seems they think anything exclusively sold in a pharmacy is illegal to buy online.

First I have heard of this.
    Re: Importation of a medicinal Product
    Dear Lindtee
    Its has come to the attention of the Irish Medicines Board that you imported the following medicinal products into Ireland from United Kingdom
    Ibuprofen
    Loratadine
    Hydrocortisone
    Miconazole
    Paracetamol
    Aspirin
    The IMB holds the view that the prodcuts listed are medicinal products Article 1 of European Council Directive 2001/83/EC, as amended by Directive 2004/27/EC defines a medicinal product as follows:
    Any substance or combination of substances presented as having properties for treating or preventing disease in human beings;or
    Any substance or combination of substances which may be used in or administered to human beings either with a view to restoring, correcting or modifying physiological functions by exerting a pharmacological, immunological or metabolic action, or to making a medical diagnosis
    The listed products above are prescription only/pharmacy confined medicinal products pursuant to the terms of the Medicinal Producrs regulations 2003 to 2008. The products may only be supplied in a pharmacy outlet on the production of a prescription issued by a registered medical practitioner or registered dentist
    These products contain the prescription only/pharmacy confined medicinal products
    Ibuprofen
    Loratidine
    Hydrocortisone
    Miconazole
    paracetamol
    Acetylsalic acid
    The products are deemed to be medicinal products pursuant to the terms of the Medicinal products. They may therefore, only be imported, placed on the market or otherwise sold, subject to specific exemptions, in this country providing they have been granted a Product Authorisation granted by the Irish Medicine board or a Marketing Authorisation centrally authorised by the European Commission and comply with the relevant provisions of the Medical Preparations regulations 1993 to 1999. No such authorisation has been granted for these products
    The Irish Medicines Board cannot guarantee the Safety, Efficacy or Quality of any medicinal product that is not authorized by the IMB or by the European Commission
    You are requested within two weeks of the date of this letter to
    1. State the specific sales outlet from which you ordered and purchased these products
    2.How you became aware of the supply outlet
    On the receipt of your response the Irish Medicines board will reassess your case. We look forward to your cooperation in this matter

Its flipping crazy, is what it is:mad: I could go in to any chemist and buy what they confiscated and destroyed, over the counter and a few of the items I could have bought in the supermarket....at about 10 times the price that is:mad::mad::mad:

The remainder of the order did actually turn up at my dad's house yesterday, the package looked like something that had been fished out of the bin and taped up, and there were a further 2 items missing. (eye makeup remover pads and a second packet of Iron tablets)

They actually don't seem to know what they are saying in the letters. The first bit you highlighted is immediatley followed by "The products may only be supplied in a pharmacy outlet on the production of a prescription issued by a registered medical practitioner or registered dentist" Bullsh!t, agree with you that it is the IMB protecting the pharma companies, plain and simple.

I have the letter ready, but I didn't get around to sending it to my TD, ( must find out who it is, it wasn't the bloke I voted for!)

It is an absolute disgrace. I got another pack from pharmacy direct in the mean time with just generic calpol, 3 x 200ml bottles.

I think the issue is with PL / PA numbers, these seem to be licences awarded to products for sale in ireland.

All the stuff I ordered has a PL number printed on it. The same pack in Ireland has a PA number.

It is against the law to sell these PL products in ROI. That much I know from work.

The ironic thing is most of the stuff I ordered was made in Clonmel, Co Tipp.!!

In the meantime I have given a friend to pick up £3 worth of stuff in a chemist in the UK, it would be €11 in the supermarket!

Right tomorrow, 1st thing I'll send this to anyone who'll listen.

Even more ironic as you can order slimming tablets that def contain illegal substances and they got through last week!!

I didn't order them... I just want the cheap calpol!

• Advertisement

The latest pack arrived today no probs. Must put in another order.

It has saved up a mint:

picture.php?albumid=1625&pictureid=9301

Advertisement