Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Chemists that deliver to Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Shulgin wrote: »
    I wanted to import a generic version of 'Zirtek' (cetirizine) as generics of this over the counter product are not available in Ireland.

I emailed the IMB and asked them was it OK to import this product and they proceeded to give me the 'it is illegal to import prescription medicines' line and failed to answer my question about OTC drugs.

I refuse to pay extortionate amounts of money for a brand name medicine that can be multiple times cheaper in generic form.
    7 days worth of branded Zirtek is €6 or so in Chemists here, while I can get 30 days of the generic version from chemistdirect for €1.50

The IMB seem to be protecting pharma companies by keeping generics out and the prices high. Total scam.
    zirtek isnt a prescription drug though, available over the counter, im sorry if im dragging up old threads,but i find this very interesting as i used to get my inhalers in spain, ALOT cheaper than here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

To clarify the rules

You can bring on your person prescription drugs issued in the normal way in another eu country.

When importing via a third party delivery service the rules change and you must comply with all Irish legislation. For things like hayfever remedies which don't have purchase limits and are otc, there's no problem. Paracetemol and other pain relief can only be those with authorization here and only in the quantities you can buy here.

Unfortunately there were many that abused these things and the rules were made tk protect them from themselves. Unfair imo, but that's life sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

maxer68 wrote: »
    To clarify the rules

You can bring on your person prescription drugs issued in the normal way in another eu country.

When importing via a third party delivery service the rules change and you must comply with all Irish legislation. For things like hayfever remedies which don't have purchase limits and are otc, there's no problem. Paracetemol and other pain relief can only be those with authorization here and only in the quantities you can buy here.

Unfortunately there were many that abused these things and the rules were made tk protect them from themselves. Unfair imo, but that's life sometimes
    I wasnt looking for pain relief though, i was looking for asthmatic inhalers, which as far as im aware there were no deaths due to mis use of same,

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

To clarify the rules ...

Paracetemol and other pain relief can only be those with authorization here and only in the quantities you can buy here.
    Maxer, thanks for this info and i don't doubt you for a minute but do you know where I can find written info about this? (the info specifically about those medicines with authorization and the quantities you can buy here)

bdo wrote: »
    Maxer, thanks for this info and i don't doubt you for a minute but do you know where I can find written info about this? (the info specifically about those medicines with authorization and the quantities you can buy here)

Irish Medicines Board will give you the info. - Send them an email to get any confirmation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

Irish Medicines Board will give you the info. - Send them an email to get any confirmation.

No the Irish medicines Board won't give me the info; that is the reason I'm asking. I've asked; and all I got was a stock email back about not importing prescriptions.

I'm trying to find the law (is it a law?) which prohibits importing over-the-counter medicine in an amount more than can be given over the counter here. Because with shipping costs etc, it is hardly worth ordering medicines online in packs of 24 then.

I would use the assumption that if you are importing and havign it delivered by a third party (post / courier etc) then you would need to apply local rules and regulations.

If bringing on your person from another country, it could also be applied but impossible to do so practically.

I had stuff sent and it has alway got through (tylenol, and the like in 500 tab bottles), but I know they can be confiscated.

Advertisement