Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia to dump Symbian for Windows?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

IDK I love Zune. I would love to be able to not to be dependant on on any software to sync music and video but meh. What can you do.

Zune in general has great UI and usability. Most people love it. Add HTC provided SRS WOW and it works great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

That blog is laughable! :D It's just a rant, he'll get over it.
    Winner's google and Apple! what planet do you have to live on to think they're winners. Google are almost crying that they didn't get Nokia and Apple are hardly going to be jumping around for joy with this news, it only makes Windows Phone 7 stronger.

The only reason you could possible say Samsung has anything to celebrate about is the fact that if Nokia had joined google they would have become the major player in the Android market.

Nokia will keep selling Symbian mobile phones, its going to be a few years yet before any of the developing markets are all walking around with iphone. Samsung have a lot of catching up to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Eoin_Sheehy

Let's face it Symbian is a sinking ship I was severely worried Nokia would be dragged down with it, also hopefully Nokia will have the sheer market share to get WP7 properly off the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭ofcork

I have always liked nokia,bought the n8 most recently agree it is lagging behind android and iphone but not a fan of bing,never seems to bring up results like google so will have to wait and see how it pans out on the phone.On another note i wonder what kind of timeframe are we looking at for the first nokia wm7 phone to launch?

ofcork wrote: »
    I have always liked nokia,bought the n8 most recently agree it is lagging behind android and iphone but not a fan of bing,never seems to bring up results like google so will have to wait and see how it pans out on the phone.On another note i wonder what kind of timeframe are we looking at for the first nokia wm7 phone to launch?

Expect something to be announced over the next week but the first Nokia Windows Phones should be on sale in the 4th quater of this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Expect something to be announced over the next week but the first Nokia Windows Phones should be on sale in the 4th quater of this year.

That's a damm long time to be out of the smartphone market as the majority of this years Dual Core Androids and the iPhone 5 will be out be start of 3rd quarter at the latest I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I for one think this is a great development. Nokia has always excelled in hardware (particulary imaging and handset design) and they have a great selection of services including maps. And a brand to kill for. Meanwhie, you cannot deny that WP7 is a fresh and impressive platform with an exceptional version 1.0 release. It has incredibly strong developer support (8000 apps and counting, and a huge community of developers, all since October). It's a modern, simple and standardised platform. Has nobody else noticed that Android has become a giant mess, causing major pains for anyone wanting to develop for the platform?

Combine WP7 and Nokia together and I think you will get something very impressive.

Of course it's a bummer for those with time and money invested in Meego, Symbian, Qt etc. But we've seen companies make these breaks before when they've had to (original Palm OS for example). Nokia are too big a company, with too much market share to lose, to continue with technologies that cannot cut it. Microsoft had to hit the reset button with WM6.5, whereas Nokia have left it too late to do the same. So why not let them work together and see what happens!

Venom wrote: »
    That's a damm long time to be out of the smartphone market as the majority of this years Dual Core Androids and the iPhone 5 will be out be start of 3rd quarter at the latest I reckon.

Yes, but by the 4th quarter they'll be old news. You'll have to wait and see what Nokia come up with before you can compare the hardware of those phones. Again this time next year + 1 week there’ll be more phones revealed that will be even more advanced than any of those..

You'd be crazy to think Nokia aren't going to push hard on this, they want success and that isn't going to happen by releasing second rate hardware. They know this better than anyone else.

If it were a popularity contest they would have picked Android. Android is clearly the big mobile OS success at the moment but that means nothing. Only a couple of years ago people would have been laughing if anyone suggested that Android phone would out sell iPhones. Who knows what will happen in the next few years but both Microsoft and Nokia have to money to pump into this.

Also Nokia will most likely be releasing their phones running on Windows Phone 8 not 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I agree with the commentator who said two turkeys don't make an eagle. These two former giants are on the way out now, hand in hand. In ten years time they will be bit players.

Samsung have made a very clever move with Bada, something Nokia should have done. Bada is scaleable from basic phones to smartphones so they will soon have just two OSs, the second being Android. Their vertical integration from basic components to the OS means they will be unstoppable barring acts of stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

cnocbui wrote: »
    Samsung have made a very clever move with Bada, something Nokia should have done. Bada is scaleable from basic phones to smartphones so they will soon have just two OSs, the second being Android. Their vertical integration from basic components to the OS means they will be unstoppable barring acts of stupidity.

Bada is not going anywhere. There have been loads of operating systems for PC's and nothing will ever supplant windows and Linux. Bada won't achieve the mainstream developer support that IOS / Android / WP7 will achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Well all I can say is that this is an unmitigated disaster and WTF ! Well done Elop, you've come from Microsoft and now effectively finished off Nokia. Why would I now buy an E7, an N8 or any other Symbian device when they've just been rendered obsolete ? And why would I wait more months to buy a Nokia Windows phone when I could buy a WM7 device right now from any other vendor ?

Because Nokia still make fantastic phones.
    Because not everyone wants a smartphone - my OH spends all her spare time on facebook yet she won't accept a phone with a facebook widget, it hase to be a traditional T9 phone. Nokia are king with that still and she's not the only one.
    How many years and hundreds of millions of manhours and euros in development have Nokia wasted in platform changes and churn - hopping from Symbian to Maemo, then Meego and Symbian and umpteen variants in between. I thought they finally had it sussed, Symbian on the low end and Meego high, and now they've thrown it all away yet again to start from scratch with WM7.

And now they finally have got it right. The N900 story just showed up what they have been saying recently - it's the ecosystem baby. Symbian had its day and Meego was just a jumped up idea from Intel trying to sell processors not phone OS/s.

Cutting edge handsets needed to be out there yesterday, now it looks like there's going to be another big wait, and for what, a locked-down, dumbed-down WM platform where the UI can't be customized and there's no real room for Nokia to distinguish themselves from any other h/w maker ?

In comparison to Android, IOS looks dumbed down. Apple fan boys will argue otherwise but as I watched the free tv on magnetwebtv on my HTC desire, I realised how much that Apple are dumbing down in disguise.

It's also worth mentioning that Nokia are a huge brand in themselves.
    I really can't see how this benefits Nokia much at all, even Android would have been much better given that they'd have had the freedom to distinguish themselves, and with Meego they could have run their own custom Java machine within to run Android apps. So I think this is the worst of all possible decisions.

With Android Nokia would have been just another manufacturer like HTC and Samsung. But Microsoft is foremost a marketing company. They need Nokia to push WM7 and Nokia make the best phones. Nokia need could never catch up with IOS / Android. Given that they are efficient at cost effective manufacturing of mobile hardware, it's actually a huge cost saving from them using a ready made OS that they have to put little to add value.
    But, most of all, as a fan of opensource and freedom I'm absolutely sickened at what this is going to do to, especially to Meego. IMO this has been the most visionary and potentially powerful and important O/S of them all, a free and open platform that can run on anything.

But that only appeals to nerds. If opensource was so good then we'd all be using Linux instead of Windows.
    Microsoft have done it again - embrace, extend and extinguish. A free O/S with apps readily running interchangeably on everything from laptops to phones to car-entertainment systems when they've got nothing equivalent most have been scaring the hell out of them. They must be laughing their heads off in Redmond now because they've knocked down one of their biggest potential competitors before it ever really got going.

I don't understand what you are saying? Meego was nowhere - sales of the N900 demonstrated that Maemo / Meego was only for nerds no matter what qualities it had. Had Android not arrived on the scene then it would have been in its place instead.
    I can only hope that some of those pissed off developers whom Nokia have just stabbed in the back for what must be the last time break out and start up their own company. Nokia kickstarted Meego, so hopefully Intel or some of the others who came on board will come out and surprise me, but somehow I doubt it. This is a bad Friday for me.

Meego will become another backwater product. What developer is going to do anything with it when you can achieve much more using Android?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

Symbian is really off putting.

I love Nokia, I have always bought Nokia phones, and I now have a 5800, great phone but there like no apps at all.

If I could have the 5800 with Android it would be great, but it means the next phone I buy won't be a nokia, it'll have to be a andriod.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Bada is not going anywhere. There have been loads of operating systems for PC's and nothing will ever supplant windows and Linux. Bada won't achieve the mainstream developer support that IOS / Android / WP7 will achieve.

Bada is Linux based.

I agree it won't be going anywhere but Samsung, just like Apples iOS is staying in-house. But if you mean it wont succeed, I think you are mistaken. Samsung will pass Nokia and become the worlds largest manufacturer of phones. Bada will be on all of them except some with Android, and even that might be given the flick when Bada becomes a bit more mature. For a first iteration OS it is very impressive.

As for developer support, are you sure about that?
    Is it time for bada?

Samsung has been shipping more Wave phones in the past few months since its launch in June than any other smartphone manufacturer, except for Apple with the iPhone, and expects to sell around 5 million bada-powered handsets by the end of 2010. But does that mean developers should now be paying attention to bada?

... For bada 2.0 Samsung is promising additional smartphone-like features, including a better user interface, Near Field Communication (NFC), a smarter homescreen, SDK support for Linux and Mac and SNS integration. In view of this update mobile analysts are beginning to concede that bada is a true smartphone OS, whereas before they've been cautious to do so....

The advice seems to be that if the bada 2.0 SDK makes it easy enough to port apps from other smartphone platforms over to bada, then developers may as well do so. But if the SDK requires building apps from the ground up, then it might not be worthwhile.

http://www.i-programmer.info/news/83-mobliephone/1744-is-it-time-for-bada.html

Bada 2.0 is due to be previewed at the MWC in Barcelona which starts Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Will it come out on the n8 or am i stuck with Simbian and no updates when they release this?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Sitec wrote: »
    Will it come out on the n8 or am i stuck with Simbian and no updates when they release this?:confused:

The N8 and the rest of the newer Symbian^3 phones are pretty much dead in the water update wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

no symbian platform will be support up until the transition takes place of nokia switching over. I pressume it willl keep releasing fixes and a few improvements. But the N8 is a dead phone right now. Just the same way i got the HD2 and then it was announced no official WP7 and it was a dead phone too (except for all the unofficial development going on in XDA) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

N8 doesn't meet the Windows Phone hardware requirements (it has only one physical button on the front panel for a start), so no.

Regarding updates, Symbian will be updated - On Saturday, following the announcment on Friday, Elop and Jo Harlow (now VP of Smartphones at Nokia) stated that there will be a major investment in Symbian in the short term, and that the benefits of this will be passed on to existing users.

Symbian handsets with 1GHz+ CPUs are being launched this year, and there will be a series of UI improvements to keep the platform competitive, and guide existing users into the WP7 look and feel.

She also, in a round-about way, said their first WP7 handset will be launched in late 2011 to early 2012.

[Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlO1a22UC7U&feature=player_embedded ]

Advertisement