Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Aren't Getting Back Together, But...

Options
  • 10-02-2011 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

So, Axl tweets
    Contrary to anyone’s claims there are no concrete plans, nor were there ever for a [reunion] tour, and certainly not to replace anyone in the [current incarnation of the] band, beyond a collection of random ideas thrown out by various individuals without any real foundation

Although former lead guitarist of the band, Slash, has been confirmed to state to the LA Daily News he would seriously consider a reunion of the band if the lead singer, Axl Rose, ever were to call him up to make amends with the situation.

For those who don't remember, Duff McKagan publicly complimented Axl Rose in May 2009 for making Chinese Democracy and also made comments including
    So yeah, as part of a perfect world we could all go out to dinner without our wives or anything and say, "Congratulations. We're all alive, and people still freak out over what we did." Will that happen? I don't know. It's probably utopian.

Axl invited him onstage with the "new band" in October 2010

Even Matt Sorum is complimenting him
    Sorum told ABC News Radio that Rose was a "great frontman. Probably one of the greatest ever." The VELVET REVOLVER drummer, who played in GnR from 1990 to 1997, says that Rose's passion and the intensity of his vocals are what made him one of the best

So, as unlikely as it is that Velvet Revolver will hire Axl Rose as their new singer (and then ask Dave Kushner to take a hike in favour of Izzy Stradlin) there is a serious possibility that GNR might consider a reunion in the next 5 years. Given the amount of capital that will be thrown at it (and the assurance of a complete sell out for every show) this could happen.

Duff has a new CD out on April 19th, Slash is supporting Ozzy in the US and Adler is doing his thing in Europe (but then, he probably wouldn't be invited) but, bottom line, I'm thinking we will see a GNR reunion of some type in the next few years....I believe that more then I believed Chinese Democracy would ever be released.

Will Guns N' Roses reform in some form of original line up? 33 votes

Yes, I think it will happen
    0% 0 votes
    No, never, absolutely not
    30% 10 votes
    Maybe
    69% 23 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

They had their fifteen minutes, now why won't they just f*ck off! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

as seen at superbowl, he'd jam with just about anyone.

but G n' R?! :eek: i take it back, he'd jam with absolutely anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

So, Axl tweets

Although former lead guitarist of the band, Slash, has been confirmed to state to the LA Daily News he would seriously consider a reunion of the band if the lead singer, Axl Rose, ever were to call him up to make amends with the situation.

For those who don't remember, Duff McKagan publicly complimented Axl Rose in May 2009 for making Chinese Democracy and also made comments including

Axl invited him onstage with the "new band" in October 2010

Even Matt Sorum is complimenting him

So, as unlikely as it is that Velvet Revolver will hire Axl Rose as their new singer (and then ask Dave Kushner to take a hike in favour of Izzy Stradlin) there is a serious possibility that GNR might consider a reunion in the next 5 years. Given the amount of capital that will be thrown at it (and the assurance of a complete sell out for every show) this could happen.

Duff has a new CD out on April 19th, Slash is supporting Ozzy in the US and Adler is doing his thing in Europe (but then, he probably wouldn't be invited) but, bottom line, I'm thinking we will see a GNR reunion of some type in the next few years....I believe that more then I believed Chinese Democracy would ever be released.

Not holding my breath for this one..........! They should just leave it in the past - they were ****ing brilliant in the late 80s/early 90s, but now they just look like a hackneyed tribute act.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Not holding my breath for this one..........! They should just leave it in the past - they were ****ing brilliant in the late 80s/early 90s, but now they just look like a hackneyed tribute act.

I just wondered, who looks like a tribute act? Axl and his band?

I mean the original band members have never got together to play live, not once, since coming off the road in 1993 so I'm just wondering what you mean when you say they look like a tribute act?

Or do you mean the music of GNR is too stale for most people to still care as passionately about?

I just wondered, who looks like a tribute act? Axl and his band?

I mean the original band members have never got together to play live, not once, since coming off the road in 1993 so I'm just wondering what you mean when you say they look like a tribute act?

Or do you mean the music of GNR is too stale for most people to still care as passionately about?

The new line-up looks like a tribute act to me. Axl should have released "Chinese Democracy" as solo artist, and not as GnR. I know he legally owns the name, but to me, it's not GnR without Slash etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

A few years ago I never would have thought this would happen, under any circumstances. Then again, I never thought Roger Waters would share a stage with the other Pink Floyd members until it happened. It's still unlikely, but I can see some form of G'n'R original line-up reformation, even if its just one tour or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

At the end of the day, this all just comes down to whether Axl wants to do it or not and given that he is wildly stubborn I can't see it happening. Jumping out of Slash's car while he was driving on a highway beacuse Slash wanted him to aplogise to his Grandmother being just one example of how bad he can get. There is no way that Axl is going to turn around say all is forgiven and then actually play with the rest of the original line-up, or with Matt instead of Steve.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them play again. Every member of the band has said just that as well (bar Axl). I still think that their music is still relevent today as it was 20 years ago, but Axl is one man that is not just gonna up and forget about what happened 15 odd years ago.

The new line-up looks like a tribute act to me. Axl should have released "Chinese Democracy" as solo artist, and not as GnR. I know he legally owns the name, but to me, it's not GnR without Slash etc.

Granted, but I'm not talking about the current GNR line up, I'm talking about the old GNR line up

When you say that it's just a glorified tribute act now, then that's your opinion, but I'm asking whether you feel a relevance in Slash and Duff and Izzy (and possibly Steven) returning to the band for some kind of reunion tour. How the new act performs, acts or feels is not the issue right now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Never gonna happen imo. Whilst Slash,Duff and the lads seem quite happy to play music anywhere,with anyone,there's too much water under the bridge for this to happen. I honestly think Slash says stuff like "you never know" or "it could happen" just to keep the peace and avoid sounding like he has it for Axl.

If Axl gave the ok for a re-union it would have to be a grandiose affair. I've seen the various ex-GN'R guys in small venues like Vicar st. and the Academy and they genuinely look like they enjoy playing small venues where it's all about the music and the vibe,not the big rock show experience. Given Axls penchant for elaborate shows and his control over it i'd see the the rest of the band quickly feel like it's the UYI tour all over again. And whilst back then they had bottles of JD and 'substances' to turn to to kill the time waiting for Axl to turn up,they're all sober and clean now and would imo find it quite monotonous.

Rambling aside,i love GN'R,the original band and i'd rather keep the great memories i have of them from the late 80's and early 90's alive in my head and not see them reform. I don't believe there's a will to do it from most of them and ultimately it'd end up being all about money.

Granted, but I'm not talking about the current GNR line up, I'm talking about the old GNR line up

When you say that it's just a glorified tribute act now, then that's your opinion, but I'm asking whether you feel a relevance in Slash and Duff and Izzy (and possibly Steven) returning to the band for some kind of reunion tour. How the new act performs, acts or feels is not the issue right now

It won't happen - unless they are offered humungous amounts of money. And even if they are, I seriously doubt them being able to appear on the same stage together.

A couple of years ago, to celebrate the 21st Anniversary of AFD, the original members(bar Axl obviously) did get back on-stage together at some dingy little club in the US. There are a couple of Youtube vids doing the rounds. That, in my opinion, is the closest that you're gonna get to an original line-up reformation.

• Advertisement

I guess those of us too young will just have to forget about it, or indeed have a lot of Patience

That doesn't stop the Media from pedalling **** though (my girlfriend taught I'd be genuinely excited to see this story, she was convinced it meant they're coming back)

http://www.gigwise.com/news/61309/Guns-N-Roses-Original-Line-Up-To-Reunite-For-Super-Bowl
    Guns N' Roses could be set to reunite in their original full line-up to play the Super Bowl, it has been reported.

Despite frontman Axl Rose recently dismissing claims that the band will reform with former bandmates website Kentsterling.com claims that talks are 'on going'.

''Preliminary talks have already taken place to reconvene the most popular line up of for the event next year,'' a source told the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Twat

Sky Sports were saying today that they want the Original Lineup to play the next Superbowl...cant really see it happening, although money talks...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Twat wrote: »
    Sky Sports were saying today that they want the Original Lineup to play the next Superbowl...cant really see it happening, although money talks...

Yeah, I can just see Axl being able to actually be on time for something that involves spot on timing like the half time performance at the Superbowl.

he only reason that the original line up or as close as possible to it would get back together is money. It sure as hell won't be for the music or the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

I'd say if Floyd managed to get back together for a once - off, after all the harsh words, particularly from Waters, then there might be a slim chance GnR could do the same. Won't hold my breath though.

A couple of years ago, to celebrate the 21st Anniversary of AFD, the original members(bar Axl obviously) did get back on-stage together at some dingy little club in the US. There are a couple of Youtube vids doing the rounds. That, in my opinion, is the closest that you're gonna get to an original line-up reformation.

No, afraid not, Slash was in the audience but wouldn't join them at an Adler's Appetite gig (Duff and Izzy had been invited to play with Steven on a song that night)...he later said the reason he didn't join them was because he didn't want to perpetuate a reunion rumour. Izzy and Duff also chose to go up and play different songs in the set separate to each other.

They were filmed altogether offstage though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Axl's tweet has nothing to do with this latest reunion rumour. It is actually in response to a poster over at mygnrforum called MSL who claims to have obtained thousands of emails from the GNR camp after someone hacked their email.

Unfortunately some idiot blogger picked up on the tweet and a recent unrelated one from Slash and spun this whole reunion Superbowl crap.

RonMexico wrote: »
    Axl's tweet has nothing to do with this latest reunion rumour. It is actually in response to a poster over at mygnrforum called MSL who claims to have obtained thousands of emails from the GNR camp after someone hacked their email.

Is this the same Canadian Wrestler who claimed to have leaked all those songs a few years ago and was involved in secret phone calls and all this other so called stuff to get studio tracks from the new album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

They are eligible for the rock and roll hall of fame next year. If it doesnt happen then, then i cant see it. It doesnt matter how much is being offered. They know full well they could make hundreds of millions if they toured together and i personally would pay an extortionate amount to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Is this the same Canadian Wrestler who claimed to have leaked all those songs a few years ago and was involved in secret phone calls and all this other so called stuff to get studio tracks from the new album

Yes and he DID get those leaks. The stuff he has now is pretty explosive. He said that the emails reveal that Axl was unhappy about Bumblefoot being jealous of DJ Ashba and the whole "tour is off" tweet a few months back was genuine.

Also Tommy Stinson has a booze problem and Axl has been considering the merits of firing Stinson and having Duff back in the band.

Also Doc McGhee has been fired as manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    A few years ago I never would have thought this would happen, under any circumstances. Then again, I never thought Roger Waters would share a stage with the other Pink Floyd members until it happened. It's still unlikely, but I can see some form of G'n'R original line-up reformation, even if its just one tour or something.
    Is that not what Velvet Revolver were? Izzy joined them on stage a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'd love the original Guns N' Roses line-up to get back together but it just doesn't seem likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Takemyscars72

Yes and he DID get those leaks. The stuff he has now is pretty explosive. He said that the emails reveal that Axl was unhappy about Bumblefoot being jealous of DJ Ashba and the whole "tour is off" tweet a few months back was genuine.

Also Tommy Stinson has a booze problem and Axl has been considering the merits of firing Stinson and having Duff back in the band.

Whoah man.can you show me a link to where you got this?,not doubting you or calling you a liar in anyway or anything like that,I just want to see this.

Whoah man.can you show me a link to where you got this?,not doubting you or calling you a liar in anyway or anything like that,I just want to see this.

MSL hasn't released the majority of this information. I've spoken to him and he only confirmed he had 110 confidential GNR documents. The majority from what I can gather are emails. But MSL is a showboater who just wants to make money from his cyber hacking and reckons he can sell them to the highest bidder. So far I think he has had no interest.

He was also waiting for the timetable in the bands schedule - which he claimed to have - to link up with the information he has here. So far any "planned" GNR events have been put on hold, either because MSL is a liar or because he's a jackass and Axl has scrapped all plans due to his theft

He was fired as manager years ago. They've had a couple of different managers since then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Dotsey wrote: »
    Is that not what Velvet Revolver were? Izzy joined them on stage a lot

:confused: Well, I meant some sort of reformation involving Axl, Slash, Izzy and Duff.

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    :confused: Well, I meant some sort of reformation involving Axl, Slash, Izzy and Duff.

Won't happen. Too much s**t happened between Axl & Slash for them to ever appear onstage together again.

He was fired as manager years ago. They've had a couple of different managers since then.....

Not according to Axl Rose, Rose announced his departure via Twitter on Feb 5th and since Paul Stanley of KISS gave an interview in March 2010 to say McGhee didn't manage Rose only for video footage to then turn up proving Stanley was a liar and McGhee was managing Rose it would seem McGhee managed Rose until very recently.

Rose gave an interview in 1991 in which he said that he disliked Gene Simmons, and the pair didn't get along, so this could explain the bad blood from Stanley's comment. Having said that, McGhee invited Rose to a KISS concert in June 2010 and there were photos taken of the pair together proving further their manager relationship.
    Won't happen. Too much s**t happened between Axl & Slash for them to ever appear onstage together again.

A quote from Slash
    All things considered, that would be a call I would be surprised to get. If that really happened, I would have to clean out my junk drawer, too, but I don’t see it happening. But if it did happen, I would do whatever it takes to at least have a conversation about it

So there is a possibility open for a reunion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭MickClince12118

By the time the big ass ROSE EGO deflates Axl will be about 70 so no theres no chance. Axl can't even sing anymore anyway, not that he was ever a great singer, he was always more reliant on his entertaining skills and effort on stage.

Some people claim that Axl sings better than ever now, but in reality he just has a lot of powerful effects on his mic. Their is a newish private acoustic gig on youtube where he cant have all those effects on the mic and his voice is even more heady(Squeeky) than ever before, it's got no power backing it up at all.

I would hate to see a once great band fronted by a singer who has lost his voice due to the constant strain he used to put on it.

Slash and Myles Kennedy are going to do a full album together next year anyway which would make it: One of the best modern day (and in my opinion of all time) singers at his peak vs. a has been old fart who lets out a whimper any time he opens his mouth in comparison to past greater days.

Velvet Revolver are sure to have Corey Taylor as their new singer aswell, who is actually quite a good singer when not shouting. So then you have Slash having the choice of two far more relevant modern day acts over GNR. Unfortunately for Mr Rose, today most of us rock fans require talent aswell as effort, the former of which people really need to see he no longer has.

Velvet Revolver are sure to have Corey Taylor as their new singer aswell, who is actually quite a good singer when not shouting. So then you have Slash having the choice of two far more relevant modern day acts over GNR.

Corey Taylor is a good singer, period, and I like a bit of shouting in my Metal
    Unfortunately for Mr Rose, today most of us rock fans require talent aswell as effort, the former of which people really need to see he no longer has.

I think he still has talent - I'll tell you one thing - for my money there was no better performer during those first 5 songs in Dublin last September. Forget when he came back out, we all know he didn't want to be there, but those first couple of songs he was on fire and everyone knew it.

GNR fans, real fans of the band mind and of Axl as opposed to people who feel maybe that since Axl isn't GNR they should remind people every chance they get, have had it tough the last couple of years. No other band has put their fans through what Axl has done but despite his aggressive and childish and downright stupid behaviour it is Axl Rose who still has the talent, energy and passion for the music he sings.

Whether people like it or not, Axl Rose is still a force to be reckoned with, and still a head turner - it's just a shame he hasn't given the majority of non GNR fans the chance to see past his behaviour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Axl can't even sing anymore anyway, not that he was ever a great singer
    One of the most recognisable voices in music and you dismiss him as "not a great singer".His current singing voice may have deteriorated but you can't possibly believe he wasn't a great singer on his day. How many rock vocalists have a three octave range? How many vocalists could belt out songs without missing a note the way he does while running around the stage?

Advertisement