Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is held on PULSE ?

• 10-02-2011 11:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I was talking recently to a retired Garda who's a friend of my parents and he was telling me about the massive amounts of information being kept on people by the Gardai.

He told me he could see every time I (or anyone for that matter) left the country, he could access my wherabouts from traffic camera's and even down to when I had my car serviced? and go through my bank records etc.

So what exactly the hell is stored about people by the Gardai and are they developing into a stasi like secret police ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Stinicker wrote: »
    I was talking recently to a retired Garda who's a friend of my parents and he was telling me about the massive amounts of information being kept on people by the Gardai.

He told me he could see every time I (or anyone for that matter) left the country, he could access my wherabouts from traffic camera's and even down to when I had my car serviced? and go through my bank records etc.

So what exactly the hell is stored about people by the Gardai and are they developing into a stasi like secret police ?

Nobody will tell you that sort of information in here. Gardai are legally bound to keep that sort of information confidential.

You wouldn't be too chuffed if the taxman threw your income details in the public domain either.

If you really want to know what's on record in relation to your own self a freedom of information request is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭CaseyRyback

Ya know, some people even think "they" read this forum :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

It also stores your thoughts.
    Every time you masturbate, PULSE knows.
    And do you really go outdoors looking like that every day? That makes PULSE sad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

facepalm.gif
    It also stores your thoughts.
    Every time you masturbate, PULSE knows.
    And do you really go outdoors looking like that every day? That makes PULSE sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

We have a similar type of system in work for dealing with clients and trust me the amount of data pertaining to individual service users is massive but doesn't really amount to anything. In my case its a service providing company so it might say such and such person replaced their service with another, upgraded their home package, forgot to pay their bill, then rang up to query this, etc.

Garda records, I can only imagine, are of a similarly benign nature. I highly doubt they go to the trouble of documenting what you eat for breakfast each morning - unless you're planning to blow up the cornflakes factory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭emptyshed

Theres a dedicated sub aqua unit going through each sewer in the country, they document what you had for breakfast :p.

It's true that Gardai actually subsidise alcohal so people will drink more and talk more freely in bars, all of which are electronically monitored.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

No point leaving this open for the reason stated below.

Thread closed.
    Nobody will tell you that sort of information in here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement