Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem Renting... why ?

Options
  • 10-02-2011 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

hi guys,

Recently i have been looking to move, im looking to move into a house with a garden.

i went for a few viewings recently and was willing to take them , this is where the problem is, the estate agents dont get back to me or even return my calls & the rentlas are still on daft.

what am i doing wrong? i have a perfect 4 year rental histoy, i never had one complaint against me..

i would be renting with my partner & our 2 children (3yrs & 3 months)

we both work full time and have work & landlord refs.

why dont letting agents not want to rent to familes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

A lot of them are just plain unprofessional idiots.

I recently traveled across the opposite side of the city to a viewing as arranged.
    I waited half an hour.
    The guy won't answer the phone or texts.
    The ad is still up.
    Thanks to the good folks at...

http://www.arkcon.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

is there any other website besides daft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

And then there will be threads about people saying we have an obsession about home ownership and wonder why people are OBSESSED with buying a home etc
    And that doesn't include a lot of other restrictions either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

why dont letting agents not want to rent to familes?

It has nothing to do with not wanting to rent to families. It's just me and my wife and last time we moved (just around 2 years ago now), we had the exact same experiences as you... Agents can't be ars*d to get back to you 90% of the time. Like Zamboni said, a lot of them are unprofessional idiots. There are exceptions of course, but unfortunately they are quite the minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 FutureMom2Two

nevaeh-2die-4

You can try Rent.ie or http://www.myhome2let.ie/lettings
    But there all pretty much the same stuff.
    I sympathize with your situation.

mines a little different (we've two on the way) but can't find anywhere to live searching the past 3 months and our new arrivals are fast approaching but no where to be found in the right price range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Cool another thread bashing letting agents.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

What area at you looking to rent in? I.e Dublin etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Dymo wrote: »
    Cool another thread bashing letting agents.

not bashing just stating experiences that ppl have had with agents maybe if agents where professional than a "thread bashing letting agents" wont be necessary :p

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

Totally agree that if estate agents were professional then we wouldn't need another thread in this manner.

In the past week I have phoned or emailed 10 estate agents about properties available on Daft. How many called me back? One.

In my town I have popped into all 4 estate agents and left my details for them to call me to discuss various properties (because the appropriate person is never there when you pop in apparently). How many called? None.

Far better results when speaking to the actual landlords that have decided not to go with estate agents.

I'm starting to think it may be an anti-foreigner thing. Do the Irish hate Canadians or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I'm starting to think it may be an anti-foreigner thing. Do the Irish hate Canadians or something?

Nah, I am fairly certain EA's do not discriminate in their unprofessional behaviour :)

In response to Dymo, to be fair there are good EA's out there. I dealt with two excellent examples last week but they do seem to be in the minority and people always remember the negative experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's bizarre the Way estate agents operate, one would think they would be very happy with fee income from rentals, heaven knows there not doing much else at the moment, particular in the house sale end of things. A few years back i had similar experiences but i went a step ahead, I had a house in mind and decided to call to the address, there was no one in so i dropped in a note F.A.O the landlord, hey presto a few days later she called me, we met, i explained the situation re estate agents, a month later, deposit paid etc and i moved in. Had a happy two years at that house.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

We can concur with Estate Agents not getting back to you on rentals.

We seen a house in a good area for a reasonable rent. We rang the agent dealing with it - he told us that it would not be available for a few weeks. We said that was fine, and could we arrange a viewing in the meantime - we were told no not for a few weeks, the tenants are still in the house and we agreed that we would hope to view it the weekend before the tenants moved out. So my partner rang the agents last week to arrange a viewing as was told, Oh well there has already been a viewing and they might be interested! My partner said you told us you weren't taking viewings yet and would contact us when you were! So they anyway agreed between them that we could view it on Saturday. We waited 3 quarters of an hour for the guy on Saturday and he never showed, didn't reply to phone calls or messages. The property was taken off daft on Monday but was on it on Friday and Saturday.

Fair enough if the other people took the property but ring us and tell us, not have us waste an hour of our time sitting in the car trying to entertain a child!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BBJB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

I spoke to an EA last week about prospective tenants not showing up for appointments. Policy:- Half an hour before the viewing, ring the prospective tenant. If no answer do not show up for viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

Kosseegan wrote: »
    I spoke to an EA last week about prospective tenants not showing up for appointments. Policy:- Half an hour before the viewing, ring the prospective tenant. If no answer do not show up for viewing.

I should have done that with an agent yesterday. There I was stood outside the house, a good 1 hour drive from where I live, waiting for our 1 pm appointment. I'd even taken the day off work as this house seemed very promising. Call him at 1:15 as he hasn't shown up....tells me he had no record of our appointment, so I told him he should check the text message he sent me the day before confirming our appointment. Without an apology he says 'now that you're standing outside the house what did I think'. I said 'I think you're incompetent and are wasting my time' and hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thankfully when we moved last year, after many such bad encounters, we found a good EA. It makes such a great difference.

I have heard so many horror stories like this.

Good luck with your search!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Glad to see I'm not the only one having bother with letting agents. We've only been looking for a couple of weeks now, and so far we've been stood up 3 times, after taking time off work etc. The only person so far that we didn't have any problems with was a guy who owned the apartment.

Advertisement