Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ignored posters being quoted

Options
  • 10-02-2011 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭

I've noticed that when a poster quotes someone on my ignore list i can then see the ignored posters post in the quote box in the other posters post.

Is there any way to make the quoted part vanish? Like maybe have a blank quote box or something similiar.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

No unfortunately, and I always find it too much hassle to ignore people, threads end up missing chunks and making no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    No unfortunately, and I always find it too much hassle to ignore people, threads end up missing chunks and making no sense.

I agree which is why i'm usually reluctant to put people on ignore. (Although you at least have the option to view a post from an ignored poster if you really want to read it)

But the ones i do put on ignore are usually WUMs or just post crap all the time and it's annoying when i can see their post when quoted. It'd be nice if something could be implemented to fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What does WUM mean?

Wind Up Merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I've read that there's a Firefox extension that allows you to completely ignore people, quoted posts and all. I've never used it but a quick Google gives me this:

http://www.adminaddict.net/forum/general-community-discussion/ignore-users-firefox-extension-6694/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Never quite understood the ignore feature.. i see the perceived merits of it, but i tend to read all posts, if the person is a gob****e i tend to tell them that to their face by staring their avatar in the eyes and shouting obscenities at the screen and then move on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's not really an ignore feature anyway. It's more akin to sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting lalalalala. How can you ignore something without first acknowledging it to be there?

It's a pointless feature on a site like this, imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

It's handy you can roll your eyes seeing there is a post by that pleb/tard/tosser who you cant' stand atm and not read it as you scan down the page. It's awesome like a mute button for idiots.

It's not really an ignore feature anyway. It's more akin to sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting lalalalala. How can you ignore something without first acknowledging it to be there?

It's a pointless feature on a site like this, imo

Well luckily it's optional so you don't have use it if you don't want to, but there are some posters on boards that deserve to be put on an ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Well luckily it's optional so you don't have use it if you don't want to, but there are some posters on boards that deserve to be put on an ignore list.

Fair enough, but I disagree about hiding quotes from people not on your ignore list. Sure it's optional, but so is simply disregarding what people write.

It's a forum for discussion at the end of the day. I just don't see why it's any easier to have something hidden away from view rather than simply ignoring it on an ad hoc basis.. broken clocks and all that. And besides, the people replying to the hidden quotes will still be replying to those posts, whether or not it's visible to you, so why bother?.. why not just block all replies made to people on your ignore list.. or block the entire thread in question?

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but I disagree about hiding quotes from people not on your ignore list. Sure it's optional, but so is simply disregarding what people write.

It's a forum for discussion at the end of the day. I just don't see why it's any easier to have something hidden away from view rather than simply ignoring it on an ad hoc basis.. broken clocks and all that. And besides, the people replying to the hidden quotes will still be replying to those posts, whether or not it's visible to you, so why bother?.. why not just block all replies made to people on your ignore list.. or block the entire thread in question?

Well it's still possible to view an ignored posters posts individually. Theres a "view post" button that reveals a blocked post. So if i theres a post from an ignored poster that i do have to view than i can view it but at my own discretion. I prefer this to having to see all their posts in a thread especially if they mostly post crap anyway.

Advertisement