Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sealing aroung chimney flue.

• 10-02-2011 11:44pm
    Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have a chimney leak and am guessing it is coming through the mortar which filled in the cap. And maybe between the flue and mortar. Any way of sealing these completely? When the mortar was filled in it was never hardened as in steel trowelled after an hour or so as I had to rush off to work. There is a good gradient but might this be permeable to water still?
    The chimney blocks in the attic are saturated with sooty water so its coming out there, and now also the brest is stained.
    Flashing seams fine also the chimney blocks directly under roof are relatively dry an no sign of any water ingress.

Tyhanks a lot,

John

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭johneym

Come on lads, ye must know what I am on about.

I wonder if anyone knows or ever used a waterproofer in the mortar mix for the cap filling, or if that was my mistake?

Any feedback welcome,

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Did you examine it for cracks? There are various waterproof concrete sealers available from local hardwares. Also, if there is a visible crack or gap around the flue pipe you could try Tec 7. I used it around the flashing of a stainless steel flue in my roof as recommended by my hardware. Its very strong stuff and will last a lifetime. Soot is very messy.

Advertisement