Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forward bend

• 10-02-2011 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Hello there,

I've been doing astanga for about 15 months now but still have trouble getting my palms to the floor during a forward bend. I thought it was just years of not sitting right and that yoga would help but i dont seem to be making much progress.

I went to a physio to see if they could shed some light andthey told me that i'm not using my hamstrings during forward bend, this was causing the tighness in my lower back. They gave me a few exercises to try and get them more active which i did. There was a little improvement but still no palms to the floor.

Has anyone any tips how to getting into the pose further.

Oh yeah...i'm male...is it a lil more difficult for men?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 chevalfou

Yes, it is more difficult for male to do forward bends.
    Also, one of the problem with ashtanga is that postures are not held long enough. Unless you practice primary up to Navasana more or less every day, your forward bends are not going to improve very much. You could try holding all forward bends (including adho Muhka Svanasana) for a longer time, 25 breaths is a good start, in whatever daily practice you are currently doing. Result will come quickly if you practice like this.
    Shanti,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭burrenyoga

One of the reasons why it is more difficult for men to do forward bends, is that we have stronger muscles, and through many sports these muscles can become stronger.... and usually tighter and shorter.

Tight (and shortened) hamstrings with men is a common occurrence.

You need to be careful with your back doing forward bends if you have tight hamstrings.

If your hamstrings are tight, they prevent the pelvis from bending forwards, and then in order to bend forward this places additional strain on your spine, because the only way to go forward is then to bend your spine.

What you really need to try to do, is to tilt your pelvis forward while you are practicing your forward bend.

So when your physio said you are 'not working your hamstrings', they probably meant that you were not putting the effort into tilting your pelvis forward (i hope you know what i mean by this as it is key ?), but instead were bending your back forwards.

There are other postures which are better (and safer) for lengthening the hamstrings such as standing about 1 metre away from the wall, with both hands on the wall about shoulder height (or slightly lower) with hands at shoulder width apart, and then lean into the wall, so that one knee is bend
    and the straight leg.... you put all the stretch into the hamstring on the straight leg.

Another thing to remember that in order to work the hamstring, you need to keep that knee straight. Work one straight leg for a while, and then switch over.

Another thing work remembering is that we humans are not all the same. We have many differences both physically, mentally, emotionally and different life experiences.

So what one person's body will do, may be very different to someone else's.

And many people will never place their hands flat on the floor in a forward bend. I can't see you doing it, so i can't say whether it will be likely for you to do that in this lifetime.

There is an excellent video which explains why some people will never be able to do certain things in yoga postures because of their body makeup.... for example not being able to bring their heels to the mat during downward dog..... and explains that for some people this is not tight hamstrings, or tight calf muscles, but it is the way their bones are made up.

http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Yoga-Paul-Grilley/dp/B000A1GEUE

My advice would be to go to a good experienced yoga teacher and ask them to assess you doing various postures, in order to see which postures would be best for you to help stretch your hamstrings.

And my advice is to look for postures outside the 'normal classical postures', such as the one pressing against the wall.

I wish you well with your practice.

Best Wishes,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Thanks Dave and Chev,

I have asked my instructor and she has said not to worry about it. She does get hands on adjust and give guidance when doing the postures...as she said it does take time and home practice to get into some of the postures.

I don't practice everyday as i play soccer a few nights a week but i try to do something the nights i'm not playing ball.

I've seen huge improvments in my flexibility and general well being since i took up the yoga, i was just curious about the forward bends.

Advertisement