Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 10 Worst-Selling Handhelds of All Time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    They really are lovely. A standard one shouldn't cost too much. The flash cards are a bit harder to hunt down though.

How much am I talking for one? Boxed if possible?

I'm drifting slightly away from flash cards as of late. They'll always have their uses for obscure & epensive games & consoles, but it's so much fun buying a real game, I'd forgotten that over the years. A burst of buying NES titles over xmas restored my faith in the trusty cart :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

EnterNow wrote: »
    I want a Gameboy Micro :(

Everyone should own a micro they rule......... not as much as dinosaurs though:D
    Ah, you see flash memory is measured in bits, not bytes.

So that's 256Mb(bits) not 256MB(bytes)...the difference being one has a small b and the other a large B.

8 bits in a byte. So to find out how much space is really on it (!) devide by 8.

So it's a 32MB flash cart. 5gba games sounds about right.

Well I just checked my flash card and it says 265M on in so they're being underhand about it right from the start:rolleyes: doesn't matter though cos it works and is a great little addition to my collection

I'm drifting slightly away from flash cards as of late. They'll always have their uses for obscure & epensive games & consoles, but it's so much fun buying a real game, I'd forgotten that over the years. A burst of buying NES titles over xmas restored my faith in the trusty cart :)

Well my one was supposedly over €100 new, don't know where to gwet them now because my mate gave me this one:D try gbatemp.net for real info

• Registered Users Posts: 34,919 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you want one boxed I think you're probably going to have to pay a good bit more. It seems like one of those things people really wouldn't keep a box for! The console on it's own should be possible for under 30 I'd say.

That's mad about games by the way, I thought you'd been converted to the darkside for good. Sure you'll be back buying CPS2 boards before you know it :D

If you want one boxed I think you're probably going to have to pay a good bit more. It seems like one of those things people really wouldn't keep a box for! The console on it's own should be possible for under 30 I'd say.

That's mad about games by the way, I thought you'd been converted to the darkside for good. Sure you'll be back buying CPS2 boards before you know it :D

Lol, nah the wonders of Mame @15Khz were beyond what I could have imagined, so I've left the arcade collecting world for good. I'd love more cabs though!

But stuff like Snes & MD, the games are so cheap so why not buy em? Granted for fan translations and things, & games that are stupidly expensive, flashcards are always gonna have their place. Like before buying Darxide, I'd load it up via flash first to save myself the hassle see what it's like.

And it's not innaccuracy with them, they're identical to the real cart game, & I mean identical. It's the low cost of the real carts, that come with printed labels, maybe a box & a manual that tells you the story of the game etc etc. You can't get that with a flash card :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Spot on man, when you can have them cheap (and the full gaming experience that comes with them), why not? Get them while the going is good!

Having spent about 10 year watching the prices of games rise on ebay, I'm pretty confident this whole hobby is really going to kick off in the future collectability/price wise. Relatively speaking, gaming hasn't been super mainstream for that long. Might as well get stuff while it's going cheap.

The only real problem at the moment is space...I'm sure when that gamesroom in the sky is finished it's not something you're going to have an issue with ;)

The only real problem at the moment is space...I'm sure when that gamesroom in the sky is finished it's not something you're going to have an issue with ;)

2 seater Daytona cab would eat up that space in seconds;)

pdbhp wrote: »
    2 seater Daytona cab would eat up that space in seconds;)

Lol, ffs it nearly killed me getting a tv into it, imagine trying to squeeze a cab into it :p No no, the outdoor shed houses the arcade magic. Still leaves the problem of getting sit-down cabs through the house. I'd have to dismantle it at the front door, bring it through the house, & rebuild it in the shed :(

Lol, ffs it nearly killed me getting a tv into it, imagine trying to squeeze a cab into it :p No no, the outdoor shed houses the arcade magic. Still leaves the problem of getting sit-down cabs through the house. I'd have to dismantle it at the front door, bring it through the house, & rebuild it in the shed :(

Mechano = build a crane and lift it over your house:pac:

Mechano = build a crane and lift it over your house:pac:

Mechano? Nah, LEGO man, always use LEGO.

• Advertisement

Actually do you know what I should build...a LEGO arcade cab :cool: I could just buy a few job lots of bags of bricks online, collect enough so that I'd enough to build one. It'd have to be an lcd screen though, couldn't see LEGO supports being happy with a big crt.

I know James May built a house form LEGO, hmmm, sit down driving LEGO cab?

Master of the Universe

Now there's an idea. I wonder how many bricks you'd need approx?

It would look amazing if you could pick some good side art and build it into the side of the cabinet in blocks too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Is that not expensive for one, even excluding postage? If I hadn't have bought an Amiga I'd be looking closely at it, but GBM will have to wait :)

€50 is far too much you should be able to pick up a mint one for under €30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

If I hadn't have bought an Amiga I'd be looking closely at it, but GBM will have to wait :)
    If its the A600 on adverts,it has different chipset than the A1200 so you wont be able to play some of the A1200 games,if your installing whdload you need more than stock 1mb thats on the A600 so prepare to pay small bit,tbh 90s amigas where shoite compare to 386/486 pcs with their sound/graphics cards in the early 90s.

If its the A600 on adverts,it has different chipset than the A1200 so you wont be able to play some of the A1200 games,if your installing whdload you need more than stock 1mb thats on the A600 so prepare to pay small bit,tbh 90s amigas where shoite compare to 386/486 pcs with their sound/graphics cards in the early 90s.

For 25 quid, I couldn't care if it has the insides of a C64 :D I'll work on it over time at some stage, just couldn't let it pass for that amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

And yes,dont forget the cap changes too...

And yes,dont forget the cap changes too...

Lol, I won't. I won't bother until I've everything here done & dusted. Working through the pile currently, that i until I bbq'd my thumb off the soldering iron!
    Sizzle...wtf is that noise....arrrrghgh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

€50 is far too much you should be able to pick up a mint one for under €30

+1

Picked up a mint boxed one with 5 games for 35e over a year ago on adverts. Always worth keeping an eye out for them there!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hmmm, smell of roast pork from Enternow's house!
    Now, where's the hot sauce??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Actually do you know what I should build...a LEGO arcade cab :cool: I could just buy a few job lots of bags of bricks online, collect enough so that I'd enough to build one.
    Here you go, a (big) Pac Man bartop cab made of Lego ;)

ambro25 wrote: »
    Here you go, a (big) Pac Man bartop cab made of Lego ;)

Looks sweet :cool: But it was painful to read LEGO being called LEGO's :(

Master of the Universe

Looks sweet :cool: But it was painful to read LEGO being called LEGO's :(

Ah! I hate that! It's as bad as people saying 'Euros'.

That Lego cab is tres cool, but are the bricks glued together?
    Are do you trust your children aren't going to raid your cab to build their own latest contraption?
    I would need glue!
    Probably be cheaper to build it traditionally though, those bricks ain't cheap!

That Lego cab is tres cool, but are the bricks glued together?
    Are do you trust your children aren't going to raid your cab to build their own latest contraption?
    I would need glue!
    Probably be cheaper to build it traditionally though, those bricks ain't cheap!

Yeah it would have to be glued, wouldn't fancy trying to power slide around a corner in Ridge Racer & half the cab come apart in my lap :D

Ah it's just a pipe dream for now, maybe when I get the backlog of stuff to do cleared I'll consider it.

I suppose you could take the simple route, save time and use Duplo! ;)

Imagine getting some Technics sets together and integrating the pneumatic stuff!

Lego Mind Melt!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

But it was painful to read LEGO being called LEGO's :(

That reminds me. I must get around to adding that to the Lego forum charter as a bannable offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

6. NEC Turbo Express (1.5 million sold)
    The Turbo Express was the first ever handheld to play actual home console games some five years before the Sega Nomad could do the same for Sega Genesis games. It was a commensurate Turbo Grafx-16 if you will. While the most technologically advanced portable of its time, the Turbo Express was plagued with problems since first launching in 1990. The system was originally priced at an unheard of $349, could drain six AA batteries in less than 20 minutes, and a large number of units were shipped missing display pixels. Factor in NEC's disastrous marketing, and the oft labeled Rolls Royce of handhelds was quietly discontinued around the same time as NEC's Turbo Duo.

What do ya reckon ... seen one of these for £125 ... too pricey?

• Advertisement

I suppose you could take the simple route, save time and use Duplo! ;)

Imagine getting some Technics sets together and integrating the pneumatic stuff!

Lego Mind Melt!!!

Hmm, then this comes outta mouth:

"Hey, did you see the Duplo Arcade Cab I built?"

As opposed to

"Hey, check out the Lego Arcade Cab i built :cool::D"

Nah! :P
    Ron DMC wrote: »
    That reminds me. I must get around to adding that to the Lego forum charter as a bannable offence.

Boards.ie has a Lego forum??? :eek::eek: See ya'll later :D

Advertisement