Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 10 Worst-Selling Handhelds of All Time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Hygro wrote: »
    What do ya reckon ... seen one of these for £125 ... too pricey?
    Yes.
    And, actually...
    6. NEC Turbo Express (1.5 million sold)
    (...)and the oft labeled Rolls Royce of handhelds was quietly discontinued around the same time as NEC's Turbo Duo.
    The "oft-labelled Rolls Royce of handhelds" is NEC's LT model ('laptop' PC Engine), not the GT Express model. Yours these days still for late 3 figures/early 4 figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,097 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I had a PC Engine LT in my ebay watch list for well over a year just to see if anyone was mad enough to pay the 2 grand it was listed for. Nobody did!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭an_turtar

In Japan the PC Engine LT goes for about 400 euro at today's rate. I bought a GT from the UK and luckily there was a dirt cheap power pack on sale just down the road. It can be charged using the power supply for the standard non-CD PC Engines. What's interesting is that a normal PC Engine can run from the power pack as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

o1s1n wrote: »
    I had a PC Engine LT in my ebay watch list for well over a year just to see if anyone was mad enough to pay the 2 grand it was listed for. Nobody did!
    Currently, there's one listed with a B-I-N of £1099 or thereabouts. Has been on for the past few weeks (might have been on even longer than that).

LTs were already around that price point when I was collecting back in '03.

£2k is mad money alright. Unless we're talking a brand-new-never-unpacked-still-sealed-110%-virgin-unit-with-110%-minty-fresh-box-and-bits. Maybe.

And, not to belabour the point to the questioner, but...£125 for a GT Express, even a minty-fresh-boxed-&-everything-Jap-model, is way too much. Probably £70-£80, at a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭an_turtar

Just checked my records, my GT was £60, got it a few months ago. So that's what you're looking at as a guide price. No box or manual though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

I knew the 3Ds was gonna be Nintendo's folly ... had to re-open this thread since there was some debate about it in it.

Nintendo reports huge financial losses as software sales drop
    Published Thursday, Oct 27 2011, 09:53 BST | By Matthew Reynolds | 7 comments

Nintendo has posted huge losses from its second financial quarter.

The Japanese gaming giant saw an operating loss of 19.6 billion yen ($258m / £161m) for the period between July to September, according to Reuters.

In comparison, Nintendo saw a profit of 30.9 billion yen ($407m / £254m) in the same period last year.

The worse than expected losses has meant that the company has shrunk its expected profit forecast for the 2011-2012 financial year from 35 billion yen to 1 billion yen.

While Nintendo 3DS software forecasts were lowered from 70m units to 50m, hardware predictions will remain the same at 16m units for the financial year.

The weak yen, poor software sales and ongoing competition from phone and handheld manufacturers such as Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Google have been to blame for the recent losses.

Nintendo's stock dropped by 12% when it announced the 3DS price cut earlier this year.

Nintendo forecasts first annual loss in 30 years
    Published Thursday, Oct 27 2011, 16:09 BST | By Andrew Laughlin | Add comment

© PA Images
    Nintendo has forecast the first annual loss in its near 30-year history, after the yen powered to a post-war high and sales of the 3DS handheld proved lower than expected.

The video games giant said in a statement that its net loss could be as much as 20 billion yen ($264 million) for the financial year ending in March, compared with a previous projected profit of the same amount. The loss also compared negatively with the 12.2 billion yen profit estimated by 22 analysts contacted by Bloomberg.

As Nintendo draws 80% of its revenue from America and Europe, the firm has suffered after the yen made strong gains against the dollar and the euro, cutting the value of overseas sales.

Slow sales of the new 3DS handheld also prompted Nintendo president Satoru Iwata to slash the price by 40% in August, in an attempt to attract gamers away from the devices offered by Apple and Sony.

The console maker hasn't reported a full-year net loss since 1981, when it started releasing reports on its consolidated earnings.

"Sales of Nintendo DS hardware and Nintendo 3DS software were weaker than expected," Nintendo said in the statement. "In addition, the yen appreciation was beyond expectation."

Nintendo's full-year forecast was reduced to 790 billion yen from an earlier forecast for 900bn yen, according to today's statement. Operating profit in the 12 months ending March 31 could be just 1 billion yen, considerably lower than the 35bn yen estimated earlier.

Ogawa said at a press conference in Osaka, Japan, that the company is "cutting costs steadily and plan to release major titles seamlessly".

Speaking to Bloomberg News, Koichi Ogawa, chief portfolio manager at Toyke-based Daiwa SB Investments, said: "Nintendo faces a very harsh time now.

"Competition in the video-game industry is getting severe, and Nintendo must fight for customers who are using smartphones and tablets."

Shares in Nintendo fell 0.6% to 11,110 yen at the close of trading in Osaka today, while they have fallen 53% overall in the year-to-date.

Nintendo could be boosted next year with the launch of Wii U console, the successor to the bestselling Wii featuring a touchscreen controller that wirelessly connects with the TV, enabling users to shift between the large and small screens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh dear.
    I can see Pokemon 3DS being fast tracked now, to try to grab back some market share and profits.
    I assume that Monster Hunter will bring in a lot of punters, but only until the PSVita comes along with a superior iteration and steals the gold from under Nintys nose.

Master of the Universe

Not shocking really. Software sales can only drop when there isn't any software to actually buy.

If the WiiU doesn't really take off in a big way, they're ****ed.

I never thought I'd see Nintendo go the way of Sega. Who knows though. Maybe their future is in software development only.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think we heard plenty of pessimism back when the GC failed to ignite world interest, but they dragged their @rse out of the fire with the Wii.
    Even if the WiiU is a misfire I reckon they have what it takes to rebuild.

The 3DS is more worrying for me as it's a sector that Nintendo have owned up to now.
    But the 3DS just doesn't seem to have the nuts to measure up to the biggest opponent of them all, the darned iPhone!
    Even though the game experience on the 3DS is potentially far deeper than Apples wunderkind Ninty have sold into the mini/micro game, probably inventing the modern template with Wario Inc, and are in direct competition for the hearts, minds and wallet contents of people who crave gaming content spread over 3 minutes or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    But the 3DS just doesn't seem to have the nuts to measure up to the biggest opponent of them all, the darned iPhone!

Its easy to say that, but the software market for the iPhone is in a different league to the 3DS. All things being equal, the 3DS would be sailing along happily now. Perhaps not directly competing, but certainly not sinking to the bottom.

I't still baffles me why Nintendo seem baffled....there's a p1ss poor selection of games Nintendo. Simples. A Red case, white case, or green case won't make the slightest bit of difference either...people need a solid, good, & wide selection of game genres to choose from for it to appeal. Sadly, the 3DS doesn't have that yet. And with all the faffing around, it's name seems tarnished already...so even if there is a boom of software titles, it's gonna take a while to clear its name.

Oh & Zelda and Mario on the same day? Feast or a famine. Nintendo need a serious shake up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Isn't Galaga out on the 3DS? I still say Taito should make a 3D Darius game. Or imagine a 3D Axelay or Metal Slug! :)

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Isn't Galaga out on the 3DS? I still say Taito should make a 3D Darius game. Or imagine a 3D Axelay or Metal Slug! :)

I'll take Postman Pat at this stage

EnterNow wrote: »
    Its easy to say that, but the software market for the iPhone is in a different league to the 3DS. All things being equal, the 3DS would be sailing along happily now. Perhaps not directly competing, but certainly not sinking to the bottom.

I't still baffles me why Nintendo seem baffled....there's a p1ss poor selection of games Nintendo. Simples. A Red case, white case, or green case won't make the slightest bit of difference either...people need a solid, good, & wide selection of game genres to choose from for it to appeal. Sadly, the 3DS doesn't have that yet. And with all the faffing around, it's name seems tarnished already...so even if there is a boom of software titles, it's gonna take a while to clear its name.

Oh & Zelda and Mario on the same day? Feast or a famine. Nintendo need a serious shake up.

Easier again to type it!
    But they do compete, not on a level you or I would recognise because we have a deeper understanding of videogames, nothing too beardy but simply we know what an RPG is, what makes a good shooter, how great Halo is etc.

Many people who bought into the DS and the Wii were more interested in a quick blast of darts or draughts, maybe a game of one of the countless "match three tile" games that proliferated out there. Not a massive leap from that type of game to precisely the kind of experience provided by the iphone.
    Now, I know you can say, No No, they are so different, people would have to be stupid to see the two devices and equivalent at all, but then, people are stupid, or at least ignorant.
    These are the super-casual gamers, people for whom their first gaming experience was probably Snake on their old Nokia handsets, followed by the only game they ever owned on the Wii, the one that came with it, Wii Sports.
    Similarly on the DS they had one of the Classic Game collections and some Brain Training, and these are exactly the punters that itunes and the android market are aiming at.

Yes, sure you can get more sophisticated games on the DS/3DS, heck you can do better on the smart phones too, but what wins out? Angry feckin' Birds, not so much a game as a toy, much the same as most of the big big successes on the smart phones, digital toys and tower defence games, or versions of board games.
    I play feck all games on my HTC Desire, I have a handful tried on the iphone and ipad and none of them can hold a candle to the DS/3DS or even the damn PSP!

And you're dead right, the 3DS name is probably next to irredeemable now, not one of the new colours is going to make an iota of difference, although Sera will probably want the green one!
    Better than they get the 3DS-lite or whatever it'll be called out there quick, with the extra circle pad and lets see them try to reignite the market, before the Vita trots off with the prize.

Unless of course the Vita walks smack bang into the same mass indifference the 3DS has found.
    I mean, internationally, outside of Sony Fanboys and early adopters, who the flip is talking about the machine?
    Not a bloody soul, no one at all....
    In fact there is probably more folk getting wood thinking of the iPhone 4S and next years inevitable iPhone 5 than anything from Ninty and Sony, worrying that....

The current 3DS controller add on is the equivalent of my oft-used favourite pic:

homericcraftsmanship.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Weird to see Nintendo actually making a loss. They must be selling the 3DS as a loss leader. I'd actually like to see if it's a real loss though. I remember Capcom a few years ago reported a massive operational loss and it ended up being that they got their assests revlaued which was what lead to the loss, not any lack of sales. Of course the videogame news sites didn't do any research and reported it sensationally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

They have been selling at a loss since the price slash. Very weird for the once ultra-conservative Nintendo to be baiting the habits of the Microsofts and Sonys. I guess with the transition from a family business to the more modern-minded Satoru Iwata, they'd eventually be following the pack, but it still feels weird. Kind of a bit like if Microsoft/Xbox were to offer something non-derivative for once in its existence (trollbait/) :pac:

Everything is derivative.
    Space Marines?
    Orcs?
    Angry Birds?
    Tower Defence?
    RTS?

What most people seem to think of as "non-derivative", in reality, turns out to really mean "original take".
    So when someone wants a platformer they want the likes of Super Mario Galaxy, a derivative of the genre but an original take, once you haven't played Super Mario 64!

No More Heroes and Killer 7 could both be considered some of the more original games out there, certainly the latter more than the former, but Killer 7 was sometimes too different for it's own sake and lost a lot of players along the way that just didn't get it.

What we need are polished, entertaining and, where desirable, deep experiences from games, it surely doesn't have to be the newest arthouse game to be the most fun.
    Just look at the PS2 and 360 back catalogue for an example of a console that wound up both popular and home to some of the best games ever made.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The current 3DS controller add on is the equivalent of my oft-used favourite pic:

Isn't there a steering wheel add-on coming for the new Mario Kart game? Thought I saw a pic of it recently, sits underneath the 3DS - I presume you'd have to turn off the 3D effect while using it.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Isn't there a steering wheel add-on coming for the new Mario Kart game? Thought I saw a pic of it recently, sits underneath the 3DS - I presume you'd have to turn off the 3D effect while using it.

Sounds about right from Nintendo anyway. They really are making some questionable decisions/choices & direction lately...

To me when I hear Nintendo I think of the Nes, but mostly the Snes...it was the PS2 of the 16-bit gen. Wtf are they at lately

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Sounds about right from Nintendo anyway. They really are making some questionable decisions/choices & direction lately...

To me when I hear Nintendo I think of the Nes, but mostly the Snes...it was the PS2 of the 16-bit gen. Wtf are they at lately

Here's a link for it: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-25-official-3ds-steering-wheel-for-mario-kart-7, made by Hori.
    Gamers press their 3DS into the centre of the attachment to add a pair of racing-wheel handles either side of the machine. The peripheral is shaped similar to the Wii Wheel add-on for Mario Kart Wii.

Maybe I'm reading that incorrectly but it sounds like the 3DS just sits into the wheel rather than plugged in? So you're paying to hold the sides of a wheel rather than the unit itself? :confused:

• Advertisement

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Here's a link for it: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-25-official-3ds-steering-wheel-for-mario-kart-7, made by Hori.

Maybe I'm reading that incorrectly but it sounds like the 3DS just sits into the wheel rather than plugged in? So you're paying to hold the sides of a wheel rather than the unit itself? :confused:

Yeah I see what you mean, I'd imagine the 3D would be switched off in that case as the sweet spot is quite sensitive. Unless the gyro's in the 3DS keep the image straight & only steer the cart, but it's still be a blurred mess from arm movement etc.

I'm sure its good fun...but it's a 3DS, you don't buy it to turn the 3D off generally.

Hopefully the next revision of the 3DS will have a 3D effect you can see at all angles. I hope Nintendo pull themselves together soon, I'd hate to see them go the way of Sega (hardware wise).

Hopefully the next revision of the 3DS will have a 3D effect you can see at all angles. I hope Nintendo pull themselves together soon, I'd hate to see them go the way of Sega (hardware wise).

That type of screen tech would push the cost up very high though, & even at that, I'm still not sure it'd compensate for the movement generated by playing games.

We need Nintendo, imagine a games world dominated by Sony & MS...eugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Nice to see people are copping on to nintendos gimmicky bullsh1t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hygro

what the hell, a steering wheel for a handheld game?? hilarious, I can imagine using it is as painful as watching this video ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJhSCx02BBc

Master of the Universe

We need Nintendo, imagine a games world dominated by Sony & MS...eugh.

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.
    Nice to see people are copping on to nintendos gimmicky bullsh1t

It's not gimmicky bull**** though. Nintendo are the current innovators out of the big three. Without that innovation, Microsoft and Sony would probably gladly have you stuck in a world full of muddy brown FPS games. Forever.

Unfortunately, in a lot of cases, those who take the chance and innovate end up losing out. Only to have their ideas become the norm 10 years down the line. (Again, I'm looking at you, Sega)

But we need someone driving that thinking forward. Otherwise it'll just stay stagnant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Watara Supervision

The Watara Supervision was released in 1992 in an attempt to compete with the Nintendo Gameboy. The first model was designed very much like a Gameboy, but it was grey in color and had a slightly larger screen. The second model was made with a hinge across the center and could be bent slightly to provide greater comfort for the user. While the system did enjoy a modest degree of success, it never impacted the sales of Nintendo or Sega. The Supervision was redesigned a final time as "The Magnum". Released in limited quantities it was roughly equivalent to the Gameboy Pocket. It was available in three colors: yellow, green and grey. Watara designed many of the games themselves, but did receive some third party support, most notably from Sachen.

A t.v. adapter was available in both PAL and NTSC formats that could transfer the Supervision's b&w pallet to color, similar in some regards to the super gameboy from nintendo.
    Got one when they were released here back in day, still have it :pac:

spvi12.jpg

Ah, the Supervison, that was one nasty little piece of crap, such a GB cash-in too.
    Imagine the poor wretch, ripping the wrapping open on the handheld console he has been dropping hints about all year, perhaps he should have been more specific..
    "Yeah, a handheld"
    "It's got a mono screen"
    "It takes little cartridges"

If only he had said "Nintendo" at some point,
    if only he had had the nerve to utter "Gameboy", but he didn't, and now he must pay the price....

As will his parents, as he, at 18 with a broken psyche due to the christmas pressie trauma, climbs the neighbours tree with a highpowered rifle....

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭da gamer

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Got one when they were released here back in day, still have it :pac:

spvi12.jpg

this brings back memories. anyone remember the name of cops and robbers style game on the supervision?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭Steve X2

da gamer wrote: »
    this brings back memories. anyone remember the name of cops and robbers style game on the supervision?

Police Bash or Police Bust?

Advertisement