Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different search engine results with different browsers

Options
  • 11-02-2011 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone had any insight into some strange search results I'm getting.

I've made a few improvements on result rankings using SEO but I've noticed that ranking is different depending on the browser.

Using Firefox or Chrome and a search would show the website in question on page 4 whilst searching using the same terms on IE would appear on page 8.

The same also occurs with different searches. I don't use Mozilla and do the chrome searches incognito mode so there aren't cookies there that would distort the results.I can't think of any reasons why this is happening, so does anyone know why it is and whether there are any SEO techniques to sort this issue?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Yugioh wrote: »
    I was just wondering if anyone had any insight into some strange search results I'm getting.

I've made a few improvements on result rankings using SEO but I've noticed that ranking is different depending on the browser.

Using Firefox or Chrome and a search would show the website in question on page 4 whilst searching using the same terms on IE would appear on page 8.

The same also occurs with different searches. I don't use Mozilla and do the chrome searches incognito mode so there aren't cookies there that would distort the results.I can't think of any reasons why this is happening, so does anyone know why it is and whether there are any SEO techniques to sort this issue?

Thanks!

Strange. Are you searching from the same domain (ie. Google.ie) on all browsers?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

Yugioh wrote: »
    I don't use Mozilla and do the chrome searches incognito mode so there aren't cookies there that would distort the results.I can't think of any reasons why this is happening, so does anyone know why it is and whether there are any SEO techniques to sort this issue?
    Search personalisation is the obvious factor that might be coming into play here (assuming that you are searching using the same domain and same settings on each browser).

You're using incognito mode in Chrome, are you using private browsing in ff? or inPrivate on IE?

If you don't use FF for your day to day browsing, are you sure you're fully removing any history that might be coming into play?

You can see the official google advice for removing search history here, but it's quite poor to be honest. You could set up a separate FF profile (or have your default profile set to this) that removes personalisation as a default. RedFlyMarketing have a great little add on for firefox that helps automate some of the steps, google global, that's well worth a look. If it's not that common a task, there's also the "&pws=0" that can be tagged onto the end of a standard search query to remove some personalisation.

Even with all of the above, you can still find quirks. If there's a change in the datacenter used (or an algorithm change), it can have obvious impacts, but these shouldn't be too common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Clear your cache in every browser and make sure you are not logged in to any search engine in ever case. If you are, say, signed up to Google, under Firefox you'll get varying results to when you're not using chrome for example.

Advertisement