Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Price increases - anternative DSL provider? Drogheda?

Options
  • 11-02-2011 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

eircom are increasing prices again, http://www.thejournal.ie/eircom-anno...-hike-2011-02/

is anyone aware of any alternative DSL provider in Drogheda apart from eircom?

I have a backup DSL line that i now wish to move to another provider, but the state of the infrastructure in this country leave little choice.

ie eircom/vodafone /magnet (not LLU) / digiweb (expensive).

so i wish to move this line to some other provider, any suggestions?
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Net1???They have an office in Tullyallen.Its wirefree,you put a small dish on youre house to receive broadband.Forgive me if I'm not talking about what you what,Im not a techie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

I 2nd Net1!
    They have masts at Mt Oriel in Collon & Donore & possiby the Lourdes (not sure)
    You need to have a direct line of vision to these masts from your roof.
    anyway, very repliable service. Good speeds and nothin gets throttled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

i have big trees on my land blocking signal, and i dont want to chop them down, so thats why i was looking for DSL...

thanks for the suggestions...

Verite wrote: »
    Hi all,
    There are a few more articles here:
    Article in Independant: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/eircom-prices-hiked-by-up-to-60pc-2535793.html

List of links to newspaper articles on eircoms site: http://pressroom.eircom.net/in_the_news/

Article in the Times: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0211/1224289523671.html

I am an Indepandant Associate with Imagine - Imagine provide DSL broadband all over the country. Imagine did not increase the prices last time eircom did and have not this time either.

The reason that eircom can increase the prices so much is because they know that most people will not switch provider when they do. Guess its just apathy really.

If you can get DSL broadband through eircom you can get it through any other telecoms company. There is plenty of choice out there. If you'd like to look Imagine just send me a pm with your email address and I can send on info to you.

no thanks very much. I do not like the way imagine do business, and also any company that forces you to pay by direct debit. ;)

as far as i can see, vodafone and eircom are the only ones that do no force customers to pay by DD.

and the word is independent.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

ingen wrote: »
    no thanks very much. I do not like the way imagine do business, and also any company that forces you to pay by direct debit. ;)

as far as i can see, vodafone and eircom are the only ones that do no force customers to pay by DD.

DD keeps admin costs down and therefore prices down. Resellers of Eircom work off very tight margins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

vodafone do require dd on new connections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Smart available to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

How reliable is the Vodafone Broadband service around the Drogheda area? Looking to change supplier from Eircom and it looks like Vodafone may be the only other viable option. I need a fairly resilient connection for work so have stuck with Eircom due to them owning the underlying infrastructure.

Dingatron wrote: »
    How reliable is the Vodafone Broadband service around the Drogheda area? Looking to change supplier from Eircom and it looks like Vodafone may be the only other viable option. I need a fairly resilient connection for work so have stuck with Eircom due to them owning the underlying infrastructure.

you are better staying with eircom so, if an issue occurs, it will be fixed faster, over on the vodafone forum i have read threads where issues take ages to resolve, as vodafone have to ring eircom to have issues resolved.

you are probably better staying with eircom, also you get through to support much quicker with eircom.. however eircom is most likely more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Thanks ingen I was afraid this would be the case as it was when I last looked into changing two years ago. It's unlikely to change anytime soon either by the looks of it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

amacachi wrote: »
    Smart available to you?

looking at smart 10mb DSL myself....€39 seems decent...Any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

you are better staying with eircom so, if an issue occurs, it will be fixed faster, over on the vodafone forum i have read threads where issues take ages to resolve, as vodafone have to ring eircom to have issues resolved.

you are probably better staying with eircom, also you get through to support much quicker with eircom.. however eircom is most likely more expensive.
    Mate had that experience.
    neacy69 wrote: »
    looking at smart 10mb DSL myself....€39 seems decent...Any good?
    Ordered it a couple of weeks ago and no sign of it yet, will let you know when I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

have it in Dundalk.... the most i get each night is approx 2MB... :(

ok line over on vodafone now, getting 5mb must be directly connected to the BT/Vodafone equipment in the exchange as the connection is showing up as ADSL2+ on the router.

broadband seems ok, €48 per month incl line rental 120gb transfer allowance.

Advertisement