Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virus installed itself into computer. Clueless.

• 11-02-2011 1:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

I hope this is in the right forum.

I was just on my laptop and I clicked into a harmless link about a LAMPSHADE of all things when my Firefox window dropped and a 'Spyware' window popped up. It's shield is very similar to the windows fire wall shield, same colours and shape.

It's raped my laptop. I can't get into ANYTHING. Open my own firewalls.

It's not in my programs so I can't delete it.

I can't find the program anywhere in my laptop.

I use this laptop for work and all my files are on it.

If you need pictures of the windows I'm getting up to help me try and figure out what it is and how to get rid of it, please let me know.

This is really urgent, I would really appreciate the help! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

If you can get online try this http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/
    that should pick up the virus/worm and delete it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,360 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Load on 2 programs, rkill.exe and malware bytes, if u cant use the internet put then on a pen drive or cd, run rkill then malware bytes.
    If that wont fix it postback. Did it change your desktop background?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

GHOST MGG2 wrote: »
    If you can get online try this http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/
    that should pick up the virus/worm and delete it.

It won't allow me access to anything. iTunes won't even open.
    Task manager won't open. It keeps denying them access.

I'm currently on a desktop :(

This is a picture of what I'm getting..

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6596035&l=fb5b930168&id=576810043

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=6596031&l=72eb142e2b&id=576810043

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,360 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Restart in safe mode and download the programs above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

you need to restart the comp in safe mode. basically, shut down the comp and then restart it while tapping the F8 key. choose safe mode with networking, once it starts try downloading malwarebytes and update it ,then do a full scan (can take a while) then, "view results", then "remove selected" and reboot. that will usually remove those types of infections...

• Advertisement

Restart in safe mode and download the programs above

I know this will sound hilarious but how do you access safe mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

It looks like you have a bad case of Security Central:mad:

See http://www.malwarehelp.org/security-central-removal-2010.html for information.

Security Central Removal (How to remove Security Central)

MalwareBytes’s Anti-Malware (mbam-setup.exe) was able to remove this infection.

Boot in to Windows Safe Mode with networking
    1. Download MalwareBytes’s Anti-Malware (mbam-setup.exe) or from a clean computer download and copy to a USB flash drive.
    2. Double-click mbam-setup.exe to start the installation. Proceed with installation following the prompts. Make sure that the following options are checked when you finish the installation:
    3. Update Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
    4. Launch Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
    5. Once the update is completed, select Perform full scan in the Scanner tab. When the scan is completed, click “Show results“, confirm that all instances of the rogue security software are check-marked and then click “Remove Selected” to delete them. If prompted restart immediately to complete the removal process.
    6. Turn System Restore off and on.
    You should now be clean of this rogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

Lornen wrote: »
    I know this will sound hilarious but how do you access safe mode.

Restart your computer, when your computer (what make is it by the way?) shows a logo like Dell or similar, hold down the F8 Key and a menu option should appear where you can use the cursor keys and select Safe Mode (there's another Safe mode but with networking - I strongly advise not to use this option)

Also It blocks the execution of Firefox and Chrome browsers, It does not block Internet Explorer

It looks like you have a bad case of Security Central:mad:

See http://www.malwarehelp.org/security-central-removal-2010.html for information.

Security Central Removal (How to remove Security Central)

MalwareBytes’s Anti-Malware (mbam-setup.exe) was able to remove this infection.

Boot in to Windows Safe Mode with networking
    1. Download MalwareBytes’s Anti-Malware (mbam-setup.exe) or from a clean computer download and copy to a USB flash drive.
    2. Double-click mbam-setup.exe to start the installation. Proceed with installation following the prompts. Make sure that the following options are checked when you finish the installation:
    3. Update Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
    4. Launch Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
    5. Once the update is completed, select Perform full scan in the Scanner tab. When the scan is completed, click “Show results“, confirm that all instances of the rogue security software are check-marked and then click “Remove Selected” to delete them. If prompted restart immediately to complete the removal process.
    6. Turn System Restore off and on.
    You should now be clean of this rogue.

To clarify - if you want to update Malware AntiBytes .... you're not going to be able to update the definitions file if you're in Safe Mode without Networking support - might be best to download the definitions manually and save it, and tell Malware AntiBytes to pick up the definitions from the USB pendrive instead... no networking should be done at this stage as the malware could still make an attempt to get out on the internet...

• Advertisement

Just found a memory stick, currently DLing malwarebytes

Will let you all know how it turns out.

I am seriously seriously grateful for all of your help.
    I hope this works!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

OP you will be able to run any currently installed AV scanner from Safe Mode.
    From another computer you can download manual updates for those scanners or download new standalone scanners or something like combofix

t0mm13b wrote: »
    Restart your computer, when your computer (what make is it by the way?) shows a logo like Dell or similar, hold down the F8 Key and a menu option should appear where you can use the cursor keys and select Safe Mode (there's another Safe mode but with networking - I strongly advise not to use this option)

It's a Compaq.

My laptop is upstairs so sorry for the delay in replies, I can't unplug it due to a shoddy battery.
    Thank christ I'll be getting a new laptop by the summer.

t0mm13b wrote: »
    To clarify - if you want to update Malware AntiBytes .... you're not going to be able to update the definitions file if you're in Safe Mode without Networking support - might be best to download the definitions manually and save it, and tell Malware AntiBytes to pick up the definitions from the USB pendrive instead... no networking should be done at this stage as the malware could still make an attempt to get out on the internet...

Currently doing this, just started the scan. 2 minutes in and already 28 items infected..
    Christ.
    Thank you for the step by step explanation.
    You're a total life saver, the amount of files I have to do with work on this laptop momumental and if I lost access to that would have been catastrophic.

Getting the boss to whip out the wallet tomorrow for some decent firewall!

Any company you would recommend yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Lornen wrote: »
    Currently doing this, just started the scan. 2 minutes in and already 28 items infected..
    Christ.
    Thank you for the step by step explanation.
    You're a total life saver, the amount of files I have to do with work on this laptop momumental and if I lost access to that would have been catastrophic.

Getting the boss to whip out the wallet tomorrow for some decent firewall!

Any company you would recommend yourself?

Since your boss is paying :D go for quality
    Eset Smart Security 4. Top notch product.

http://www.eset.com/home/smart-security

If the laptop is old then steer clear of McAfee and Norton.

I use Kaspersky myself, but it is a personal choice.

AVG is lite on resources and might suit an older machine.

I hear good things about a combination of Zone Alarm and AVG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

and of course you have a backup.....

BostonB wrote: »
    and of course you have a backup.....

As in the computer backed up?

Actually no, but I really should.. I'll get on that tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Lets hope you don't backup any nasties at the same time.

This suggests that your work doesn't have a backup either. Or that they've ever tested they can restore from a backup, say from last year.

MSE is lighter on old machines than AVG. I've had to uninstall AVG on old machines for that reason.

If the laptop is old then steer clear of McAfee and Norton.

I use Kaspersky myself, but it is a personal choice.

AVG is lite on resources and might suit an older machine.

I hear good things about a combination of Zone Alarm and AVG

Might be better to get an integrated solution that consolidates firewall, spyware, antivirus in one solution instead of going for a separate firewall, malware... not worth it....

I use Bitdefender which is good on all aspects, BitDefender Internet Security is what I use, for 35 euro for a 2 year licence for one computer...

Disable the Windows Firewall, and let Bitdefender do the rest....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

sounds like u got the AV8 virus

boot into safe mode without network

search for a file called "av8.exe" and delete it

disable system restore on all drives

reboot in normal mode

update malwarebytes and run it to remove the remaining bits of it.

once your system is clean and running properly re-enable system restore and reboot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i always find it funny that everybody recommends people to use Mbytes but they never recommend them to buy it when they are looking for an anti-virus :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Skerries wrote: »
    i always find it funny that everybody recommends people to use Mbytes but they never recommend them to buy it when they are looking for an anti-virus :D

But it's not an anti-virus

Advertisement