Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia 2247NWG Router - CCTV

Options
  • 11-02-2011 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi guys, there must be 100,000 of these routers in the country courtesy of Eircom broadband so someone out there has already done what I am trying to achieve! I have a CCTV DVR connected directly to the router and using dyndns.com to sync a domain name to the dynamic ip every 60secs. I configured the router using Hyperterminal and entered the dyndns details.

The Dvr is set on a static ip within the range of the router. I understand NAT in theory, so whatever traffic uses the domain name will go via the dynamic ip and get forwarded to the internal ip (in this case 192.168.1.14) for the DVR. The router is 192.168.1.254 the default. We can browse to the DVR internally no prob but no access from outside the network. Also when I ping the domain name I am not sure dyndns is always keeping up with the changing ip's as sometimes there is no response.

I set Static NAT on the router and the DVR ip was in the list and I chose that.

What else do we have to do???? also how can I remote in to the router so I can maintain it remotely?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What port is used on the DVR to view it internally? If itis port 80 (default web port) then best is to use another port for external access and map that to port 80 on x.x.x.14 (please tell me x.x.x.14 is outside the DHCP pool?)

You can get the external access to work on port 80 but its not worth the hastle

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Bishop22

Hi Munster,

The DVR is set to have a static IP of 192.168.1.14
    Yes we are using the default port 80.
    I'll check his router again and see if its set to be the DHCP server and what range its distributing. You might be onto something here. Let you know.

Any ideas how to remote manage the 2247NWG router? Save me visiting his house multiple times.

(I have first hand experience that using port 80 does work ok, as its works on my home CCTV setup. However I have a different service provider, different router and different CCTV DVR than my buddy who I am currently trying to configure for him). Dont know am I helping him at this stage or harrasing him icon7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What I would suggest for the remote management is Logmein.com installed on his computer and then you can remote to his PC and then login to the router from his PC. No need for firewall config either using that.

dyndns.org is installed using telnet in the modem?

Feel free to PM me if you want help

Yes I config'd the router using Hyperterminal.

Its a domestic environment, they dont really have a desktop permanently attached, just a laptop and iPhone, that kinda usage so I dont think logmein is reliable/option. However I can see your point, its an easy way to get ot the router on the internal ip.

Thanks,

Bishop22

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Last

I think you also have to set the firewall to low

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 agcomms

you can logon to the router locally and remotely. if its a netopia (load a ***) then you prob have an eircom dsl.
    to log on, open internet explorer and in the web address field type in
    192 .168.1.254. this will bring you to the log in screen. the default user name is admin and the default password should be broadband1.
    once you have logged in select the expert mode option on the left hand menu and take the option to change the router password. especiall if you arfe going to login remotely. once you have done this then select the option to connect remotely. if you have a static ip on the dsl you should be able to connect to the router from any location, if not you wll have to use a dyn dns service.
    as mentioned with your dvr you should have it set to a static address out side the dhcp pool. to do this you need to select the lan options on the netopia menu. the default dchp range will be set to 192.168.1.1 to .254
    you need to nodify 192.168.1.254 to 192.1681.100 for eg.
    The router will need to restart.
    in the network setting of you dvr set the ip address 192.168,1,101.
    in the dvr setting you will have the webserver option checked and the port address as por 80, the dvr also uses a default second port for comms
    which varies beetween manufactures. make a note of what yours is set at.

the next option on the dvr is the ddns settings, if you do not have a static ip address provided by your dsl provider then you are on a dynamic address and this prone to change on occassion, therefore you need to enable ddns serivce on the dvr and leave the server address at default.
    the next xhange os the dvr name, this needs to be uniwue and should be set so.
    the dvr should now be on the network and its id sent to the dns server.
    Now you have to set prot forwarding on your Netopia.
    this will be under the LAN|NAT option
    you will need to set both ports
    eg service ID cctv
    IP Address 192.168.1.101
    start port 7000
    end port 7000
    external ip ANY

Service ID cctv2
    Ipadress 192.168.1101
    start port 80
    end port 80
    external ip any.

once this is done you should be able to connect to the dvr from any where.

Aw wel as change the default password on the netopia, you should change the default password on the dvr.

Again super advise agcomms, you went to a lot of effort and detail to describe this for me. Thank you for that. I'll test this out and report back.

Regards,

Bishop

Advertisement