Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gurren Lagann

Options
  • 11-02-2011 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭

So, I wanna hear people's opinions on this anime (and please use spoiler tags if necessary!). I watched the first 2 episodes at Eirtakon this year and tbh, I wasn't captivated. Heck, I wasn't even interested. I was bored and haven't wanted to watch any more of the series since.

Thing is though, I keep meeting people who say it's actually an awesome anime. I dunno whether it's my tastes that aren't suited to it or maybe it gets much better after the first 2 episodes but what do you lot think? Should I give it another chance or was I right about it in the first place? :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

It's Gainax.

Gainax is like marmite, you either love it or you hate it!

That said, it's a mecha where **** gets out of hand. I enjoyed it because it was fun

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Best series of the decade.

Episode 4 is crap (terrible art), but episode 8 kicks things into overdrive.

Then episode 15 defines "epic".

Then episode 24 redefines "epic".

Then so do 25, 26, and ESPECIALLY 27.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Yeah, I've heard around episode 7-8 it really picks up. I never got that far with it though but now I'm curious, for a show that could barely hold my interest and that a ton of people clearly love, what is at episode 8 and onward that makes it so awesome? (rhetorical question.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

luigi-gurren-lagann-11-parody.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Konata wrote: »
    So, I wanna hear people's opinions on this anime (and please use spoiler tags if necessary!). I watched the first 2 episodes at Eirtakon this year and tbh, I wasn't captivated. Heck, I wasn't even interested. I was bored and haven't wanted to watch any more of the series since.

Thing is though, I keep meeting people who say it's actually an awesome anime. I dunno whether it's my tastes that aren't suited to it or maybe it gets much better after the first 2 episodes but what do you lot think? Should I give it another chance or was I right about it in the first place? :P

It could be that you just don't like it. I've met about three people who just flat out didn't like it. Though I'd definitely watch episode 3 before deciding.

Gainax stuff is often either love it or hate it. Some people rave about Neon Genesis Evangelion like it's the single greatest work every produced. I thought it was absolute tripe from start to finish.

Gurren Lagann, however, is in my opinion, one of the best anime I've ever seen. I watched the first three episodes to see what the fuss was about once, and ended up marathoning the entire series overnight.

The progression and the development is fantastic. Great characters, mostly great animation, great story, great writing. It's all great. It gets proper epic in the second half.

The only thing about Gurren Lagann I didn't like was the movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Gainax stuff is often either love it or hate it. Some people rave about Neon Genesis Evangelion like it's the single greatest work every produced. I thought it was absolute tripe from start to finish.

Gurren Lagann, however, is in my opinion, one of the best anime I've ever seen. I watched the first three episodes to see what the fuss was about once, and ended up marathoning the entire series overnight.

I've watched it and liked it not saying it the greatest anime ever but it was very good, what put me off at the start were those English ads about "simon the digger" and how he's dirty, they didn't give a good impression of it at all about what it was about.

Never liked Evangelion but Gurren Lagann is good/great even if i don't think it's the best there is.

luigi-gurren-lagann-11-parody.jpg

Thx for spoiling it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I spoiled nothing. That can only ruin the story if you know the story....

Well the story revolves around a pair of siblings, and the second panel says "Big Bro is dead!". I didn't know he died before I read that, but huh, sure enough he dies in ep. 8. So yes, you did spoil it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You had 3 years in which to watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?

Ahem.... Yes it's excellent, well worth a look. Not particularly deep but entertaining to the very end.

Advertisement