Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart economy

• 11-02-2011 1:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Mac puppy

All the parties are saying they are going to get the 450k people on the dole back to work with the "smart economy" what the hell is this "smart economy" ? And why should it take off here and not in india? Are our unemployed smart enough for this smart economy thats coming?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's like a phone but in an economy instead.

I think you can get Wi-fi on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

It's an empty buzzword.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Poor Craythur

"Going forward to the smart economy" etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

If you dont know, no point explaining it to you, you wont understand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Watch out when turning corners. You may walk into it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's like when people have broadband and can work from home
    so not so applicable here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I know what a smart economy is.

It's one where you don't put all your eggs into one basket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

It means basing an economy on research.

While they were saying this on the news, those mischievous jokers pretty much stopped any funding for research in the country. Funds which were not pre-allocated were reduced by over 95% that same year for one body. I understand this was typical across the board. I'm in the fourth year of a PhD in an Enterprise Research Centre. Because of lack of funding, only one person has started since I began (many have left - I might be the last one there if I dont hurry up!)

tl;dr: It's lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

They're going to send 450k people to work in another country......now that IS smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

old_aussie wrote: »
    They're going to send 450k people to work in another country......now that IS smart.
    Yeah! Australia!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

I find the "smart economy" a load of nonsense....

how is this going to work...by thinking smart, not necessarily anything to do with technology...

in the lines of Clinton "its the economy smart stupid"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Its the only last grasp for jobs they can come up with, its so broad that they can fob anything off as it.
    We cant manufacture anything as we aren't competitive.
    We cant use any of our limited natural resources because that would require huge capital investment.
    We cant offer large scale services as again we wont be competitive.
    So we are being told that jobs will come because we have a well educated young population. If they looked at tourism or agriculture inside of BS'ing us, we might have a future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Every EU country goes on about this smart economy.
    We should start producing more foods.

I'm typing this on a stena ship heading back to Dublin from London. And I am afraid that is where all the smart people, anywhere bar Ireland, and this will include myself when I graduate this year.

It''s just another buzz word to mask the sh!t thats going on, another one is "Centers of excellence".

You have to hand it to them, they ain't bad at the marketing, just sh!te at selling it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

the all new shiney spick and span dapper dan man, twice as slick and just as quick, with a new an improved formula thats bound to take the bitterness from that bite, you'd wonder why yer belts were held so... tight...

bring forth to you good sirs and wimmins...

welcome hither...

the smart economy?

Good luck to them having a smart economy with our slipping education standards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

As far as I can tell, "smart economy" means to the outgoing administration "anything which isn't farming or construction, and involves physical contact with electronics".

This includes employing people for minimum wage in a call centre, because that involves touching a telephone, and paying people minimum wage to pack PCs into cardboard boxes, because that involves touching computers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭macraignil

I spent five years in full time education to be qualified to work as a school teacher to be told that most of us qualifying would need to go abroad to find work.
    Sent email to FAS almost two weeks ago asking about running a course in Cork in horticulture since it would be valuable experience for me and might even help people here find work in one of the only areas of the economy where there might be growth in employment.
    I received a reply stating the only existing course in Horticulture in Dublin was for people with disabilities (which I knew already because it was clearly stated on their website) and to contact my local FAS office to find out about training opportunities they could provide me. I replied again repeating I was interested in organising a course and was told my email was to be passed on to management. I’m still waiting for a response to my question. If we are employing civil servants who cannot even read an email maybe I could be smart enough for this smart economy.
    On a more serious note if we want a smart economy like the politicians are talking about what do they hope to do with the people who are not that smart? Why have they decided to abolish practical training for the unemployed when we have record levels of unemployment? Is it because it’s cheaper to encourage people to leave the country? Got laid off from a care worker position recently where I was helping a family with a mentally handicapped son in his twenty’s being told initially it was just a break of four weeks because of the budget cuts. Is being smart in this economy also supposed to cover knowing when overpaid management are blatantly lying to the lower paid staff who do the work outside of pushing paper around an office?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The Knowledge economy/society repackaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

Smart Economy

Definition: One GOVERNED by smart people.

Unfortunately this is not, and never will be possible in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

for a good stable economy you need to have dumb jobs as well as smart jobs...

not everyone can afford college so they need the dumb jobs.... sadly our government doesnt realise this and so gave away all our dumb jobs to india, china, and the philipines.

Advertisement