Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you love about GALWAY????

Options
  • 11-02-2011 2:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Well????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Laid back attitude
    Sure if it's not there today it'll be there tomorrow

I've lived in Galway, Belfast, Dublin and Cork. Realy Cork and Galway have equally bad traffic.
    But the Galwegians don't get stressed over it, just accepted a way of life. Even if takes 30 minutes to get from Taylor's Hill to GMIT by taxi. My ex girlfriend lived out there and it was often my commute. Hell, I'd cycle it faster then that but nobody got stressed, we'll be there when we are there....

Ah the Galway taxi drivers. Irish tricolours on their signs but you say Glásan or Cúirt na Rasaí to them and they look at you with two heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Laid back attitude
    Sure if it's not there today it'll be there tomorrow

I've lived in Galway, Belfast, Dublin and Cork. Realy Cork and Galway have equally bad traffic.
    But the Galwegians don't get stressed over it, just accepted a way of life. Even if takes 30 minutes to get from Taylor's Hill to GMIT by taxi. My ex girlfriend lived out there and it was often my commute. Hell, I'd cycle it faster then that but nobody got stressed, we'll be there when we are there....

Ah the Galway taxi drivers. Irish tricolours on their signs but you say Glásan or Cúirt na Rasaí to them and they look at you with two heads. The Africans drivers had more Irish then the locals over the Irish named estates
    Yeah! That made me laugh! Legends they are, eh!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Tuam85

Growing up would have being going out to salthill to the amusements.... And as I'm still growing up I still love going to the amusements!

Not a great fan of Galway however I never lived in the city and anyone who has loves it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Sugarfree

Its so close to Mayo, and I can still have the same opportunities as I could possibly get in other Irish Cities Like Cork and Dublin. I have also lived in Cork and Dublin and the traffic is Galway city is terrible. Dublin comes second and Cork was fairly alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well????
    You first ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

We seem to have a good reputation through out the whole county, always get a positive reaction when I tell someone I'm from Galway.

We got some great places around to county to take off to like Connemara and Kinvara for a chill out.

A lively, viberant city center with plenty going in and loads of festivals during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭mrsweebri

i love that i am so close to both city, sea and beautiful countryside. i love that galway still feels has its own personality, not just any old city with the same shops and shopping centres. I love that I can take off to Mayo, Clare, Sligo, Westmeath etc for the DAY. I love that even after being here for just a short time I can't go into the city without bumping into a friend.

I lived in Galway for a year, March 09 to March 2010, great spot, very friendly folk, lovely laid back feel to the place, every pub in the city centre feels friendly and not pretentious. Part of me would have loved to stay there, Connemara only a short spin out the road and everything. And Jack Jordans chipper is savage :pac:

biko wrote: »
    You first ;)
    The really old tv ad where the guy is driving around in a brown/reddish box shaped nissan micra, buying a load of cd's for some reason! cant remem what the ad was for. remember it?:D
    Ah! i love everything about the place. Going a walk on the prom in salthill,(very testing to do in the winter months though, you'd want a good jacket to keep you warm, or you'll freeze to death).
    The people are just completely different altogether, a sound, relaxed, friendly bunch. Cant beat them.
    And of course, you cant ever get tired of the smell of the sea air, it'l rot your car to bits over time, but still!
    I LOVE GALWAY!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

The really old tv ad where the guy is driving around in a brown/reddish box shaped nissan micra, buying a load of cd's for some reason! cant remem what the ad was for. remember it?:D

Sam is born, West I Say, he says no way, I says way; G G G Galway....., Tuuuune!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Feck all <snip> in comparsion to limerick, Dublin, Cork, Tullamore, Silgo, Atlone, Ennis....i.e most of the cities in Ireland

Mr Keek wrote: »
    Sam is born, West I Say, he says no way, I says way; G G G Galway....., Tuuuune!

You sir, are a total legend! i spent ages looking for this today, and just couldnt remember enough about the ad, to find it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

And don't forget Cosa Beoga . . . for they will be representing Galway in the All-Ireland Talent Show on RTE1 soon. They represent everything that is good in the county as regards traditional dancing. They could change their outfits though!!

Advertisement