Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rat Control For Bird Feeders .....

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

johngalway wrote: »
    Rat traps which kill would include (among others):

Snap traps, fenn traps, kania traps, bodygrip traps, DOC traps, among others I forget (dabbler, not an expert by any means). The latter four would be placed into tunnels to prevent entry or injury to non target species.

Snap Trap
    Fenn Trap Mk4
    Kania Trap - DEAD GREY SQUIRREL IN PHOTO
    Bodygrip Trap
    DOC Trap

Just quoting this in case it's missed. JohnGalway has now edited his post to provide links to/ pictures of the various traps mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Let's not forget the prevention hhas to play a part here. Are we putting out too much food for birds? Or the wrong food? Do you put a tray under seed feeders to catch spills and prevent Rats?

Why are there Rats in the garden?

If it takes a halt in bird feeing to reduce the problem then we must consider that option.

That's exactly the way I would look at it, if we're talking about regular (ie non farm) gardens. What lure/ bait is best to use with such traps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

ppink wrote: »
    We used those jaws rat traps when I was young and it was fine until the cat got caught in it. It put me off using them as an adult.
    anyway the cat was still very much alive (I released him) so my question is are these supposed to dispatch the rat immediately and if they dont is that not as bad as drowning the rat?

Two points I'd make on the above.

Using a "kill" trap the onus is on the user as much as possible to exclude non target animals, such as cats. A simple wooden or metal tunnel, with 2"x 2" weldmesh covering the entrance would keep the cat out, set back into the tunnel enough, the cat wouldn't be able to paw the trap either. Also the way/direction in which the rat enters or approaches the trap can be crucial to ensuring an instant kill.

Second point is to use decent traps which have the design and power to kill the target animal. There's a lot of cheap crap out there being marketed as something it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

littlebug wrote: »
    That's exactly the way I would look at it, if we're talking about regular (ie non farm) gardens. What lure/ bait is best to use with such traps?

Peanut butter, nutella, buttered bread, cooked bacon... Lots of things work. When you remove the original food source, I'd try a little of that in the first instance.

Advertisement