Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cod!

Options
  • 11-02-2011 3:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

What is it with cod? How come it is the most popular and over fished fish? Although I have only recently got a taste for seafood, I am not a fish enthusiast so I wouldn't tell the difference between many white fish really.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Its not got a very fishy taste so many people can eat it, its not oily, its firm, its easy to cook, its not got many bones, it flakes nicely when its cooked, it tastes quite moist after cooking, and the fish itself (themselves?) were until recently incredibly plentiful and can grow to be pretty massive. So it all combines into one brilliant package that made it really popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Plus it was the quarterback in high school, and we all know how popular those kids are

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Cod is popular because its bland. Thats why people like it.
    It is still very plentiful, Faeroes and Iceland still land a lot of Cod, and Ireland has a big Cod quota in Norwegian waters.
    Cod isn't my favourite by any means, but if you make it into Bacalao and cook it Basque stylee count me in.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I have to admit with absolutely everyone on the "it's bland" one.

I am an avid fish loather and the only fish I can stomach is cod.

I used to go to the gym quite alot and every dinner consisted of a piece of cod with chilli powder and a wedge of lime with some pulses.

I can't stand salmon or anything really strong tasting.

Cod is perfect for us fish haters! :P

Try coley, it's part of the cod family and tastes almost the same. It's actually known as the codfish in some places, pollock in America, and doesn't have nearly the same pressure on it as cod.

When I was little I never like fish, my mum made me smoked cod for dinner one night and I liked it. After that, she always made me smoked coley, and I never knew the difference till a long time after that I saw the packet on the counter. The only reason coley isn't more popular is because people don't generally recognise the name, and don't realise it's a really good substitute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Try coley, it's part of the cod family and tastes almost the same. It's actually known as the codfish in some places, pollock in America, and doesn't have nearly the same pressure on it as cod.

When I was little I never like fish, my mum made me smoked cod for dinner one night and I liked it. After that, she always made me smoked coley, and I never knew the difference till a long time after that I saw the packet on the counter. The only reason coley isn't more popular is because people don't generally recognise the name, and don't realise it's a really good substitute.

I remember a few years back Birdseye started using Hoki fish as a substitute for Cod in their fish fingers. It was only temporary but I do recall it.
    It tasted slightly different but the texture was the same and it was nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Judging by recent fishing documentaries on channel four there's no point in getting coley instead of cod since they are both caught by the same fishing trawlers and both end up thrown overboard if they are surplus to the quota.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The only reason coley isn't more popular is because people don't generally recognise the name, and don't realise it's a really good substitute.
    Some might be eating it without knowing it, from chippers anyways.
    Ecological scientists in Ireland recently used DNA barcoding to identify species of fish labeled as either "cod" or "haddock" in fish and chip shops, fresh fish counters and supermarkets in 10 postal districts in Dublin. They found that 39 out of 156 (25%) randomly sampled "cod" and "haddock" were genetically entirely different species and, therefore, mislabeled under European Union (EU) regulations.

In addition, as Dana Miller and Stefano Mariani from University College Dublin report in today's Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment (e-View), 28 out of 34 (82.4%) smoked fish samples were incorrectly labeled, and 26 out of 28 (92.9%) samples labeled as "smoked cod" were completely different species.
    Posted a while back about it here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66068010

I do not like salmon, mackrel or tuna, or any "fishy fish", any white fish are fine by me -just like many beer drinkers like bland beers like bud or heineken etc.

Hmm, not so sure on that one. Coley is Black Pollack and is fairly distinctive flavour and colour wise Coley is short for Coalfish , a much closer alternative is White Pollack which is very close to Cod.
    The usual place you find Coley is those big dyed orange smoked fillets.
    I haven't seen it sold fresh very often if ever.
    Lots of fish places sell White Pollack fillets now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Whiting and seabass are also quite bland white fish, but without the chunkiness (which I find to be a bit dry and cloying) of cod. I'm not sure on their sustainability tough.

Not surprised on the mislabelling. They're probably aware that it's not cod or haddock, but fearful that customers won't order 'pollock and chips'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I wouldnt call Cod bland.
    Its gorgeous with a little butter and lemon and alow its light delicate flavour to come out.

Whiting and seabass are also quite bland white fish, but without the chunkiness (which I find to be a bit dry and cloying) of cod. I'm not sure on their sustainability tough.

Not surprised on the mislabelling. They're probably aware that it's not cod or haddock, but fearful that customers won't order 'pollock and chips'.
    All the bass you buy here is farmed which probably explains the bland flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,684 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Cod seems to be getting a bit of a battering here....:pac:

It's actually quite versatile & suits people who don't like/normally eat fish.

I reckon if people know a couple of good recipes for cod it's can be a good 'gateway' fish to get people into the joys of sea food

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

Do you have any nice recipes for Cod? I've always found it meh. Although in my house at home it's only ever served battered. I cannot stand batter. So I just pick out the fish...

It never seemed to taste like anything. I've never attempted to cook it since leaving home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,898 ✭✭✭billyhead

Slightly off topics but has anyone ever had cod liver in oil. I got a tin of this the other daya in a polish store and thought it was cod in a tin but when I done a translation check from Polish to english its cod liver in oil. Any recipes out thier as to the best way to eat it.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,887 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Anyone reccomend any non battered fish. I tried cod wasn't too fond of it. Also tried Basa fillets from Aldi's but didnt like it. I love Mackrel but only around in the summer.

You could try kippers. They're smoked herring I think. You can fry or grill them, but I've seen them done heated in water too. I'm mad for smoky stuff though, depends on your taste.

You could try kippers. They're smoked herring I think. You can fry or grill them, but I've seen them done heated in water too. I'm mad for smoky stuff though, depends on your taste.

Ye i tried smoked haddock, it wasn't bad. I like the battered cod, but im trying to eat healthy. So im going to start trying different types of fish i will try kippers, wont know until i try different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Ye i tried smoked haddock, it wasn't bad. I like the battered cod, but im trying to eat healthy. So im going to start trying different types of fish i will try kippers, wont know until i try different things.

What about smoked cod (without batter)?

What about smoked cod (without batter)?

I was actually looking at that today only 100 cals in a big bit. Looks nice but seems full of salt. Trying to eat healthier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭SmartFox

Fantastic Easy Cod Recipe I'm addicted to:

In a roasting tin add a couple of large cod loins (skinless and boneless), 500g of cherry tomatoes halved, 200g of nice olives halved (not the jar ones :rolleyes:), sprinkling of pine nuts, generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, plenty of freshly ground salt/pepper.

Bung in a preheated oven at 180 deg (fan) for 20mins, once it's out sprinkle on some freshly chopped basil, and it's ready to be served. Goes fantastic with tortellini (spinach and ricotta) mixed with Sacla red pesto.

Yum...firm favourite in our house. the kids love it too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gabria

I like cod and other fish including fishy fish But lately have been cooking less and less as I have three flatmates who are getting a little ticked off with the fishy stench I leave in my wake Any tips apart from open Windows and get febreze wrap the fish tightly in foil and take it right outside for dumping? All these measures don't work for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

I love cod but try not to eat it because of the depleted fish stocks. I noticed that Greenpeace are running an ad campaign to disuade people from eating tuna at the moment, so out of curiosity I googled the list.

These are the twenty two "red" species:

"Alaska Pollock
    Atlantic Cod or Scrod
    Atlantic Halibut (US and Canadian)
    Atlantic Salmon (wild and farmed)
    Atlantic Sea Scallop
    Bluefin tuna
    Big Eye Tuna
    Chilean Sea Bass (also sold as Patagonia Toothfish)
    Greenland Halibut (also sold as Black halibut, Atlantic turbot or Arrowhead flounder)
    Grouper (imported to the U.S.)
    Hoki (also known as Blue Grenadier)
    Monkfish
    Ocean Quahog
    Orange Roughy
    Red Snapper
    Redfish (also sold as Ocean Perch)
    Sharks
    Skates and Rays
    South Atlantic Albacore Tuna
    Swordfish
    Tropical Shrimp (wild and farmed)
    Yellowfin Tuna"

Sadly, poor Hoki is no longer the sustainable alternative to Cod. Which is a pity, because it was tasty (yet strangely translucent even when cooked.)

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/03/greenpeace-endangered-fish.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

More curious googling and apparently Pacific Cod is fine to eat. But I have no idea whether this would taste differently to Atlantic Cod?

Also on the second list I disocvered Yelelow Fin Tuna has well managed fish stocks so is ok to eat. :confused: I hate lists, they are quite confusing.

http://enature.com/articles/detail.asp?storyID=509

diddlybit wrote: »
    I love cod but try not to eat it because of the depleted fish stocks. I noticed that Greenpeace are running an ad campaign to disuade people from eating tuna at the moment, so out of curiosity I googled the list.
    Those lists are a bit of a gimmick. You aren't supposed to eat anything not certified by the Marine stewardship council. (MSC).
    Its all very pro big business and biased against small vessels.
    Greenpeace is a huge campany now and has to play ball with the big corporates and help them greenwash stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭wal100

I prefer Cod Roes :) then actual Cod ,they have more taste Imo.

Advertisement