Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Landscaping and litter on the Motorway Network

• 11-02-2011 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Evening all.

I'd urge you all to take a little look (not for long mind - eyes on the road!) at the verges and indeed medians of our Motorways and major routes particularly in the Dublin area.

Has anyone else noticed how landscaping just seems to be slapped together, construction detritus is never removed, and there is tonnes of litter?

There was a time when some pride seemed to be taken in how the road network looked. It was planted well and looked visually appealing. Now, things are sparser, which is fine, but no effort or care goes into the landscaping with bits of debris, old road works signs etc, all over the verges and medians of the newer or newly improved sections.

Next time you take the M50, have a look at the disgraceful condition of the southbound to N3, N4 or N7 junctions. Litter is strewn all over them, particularly by bridges - with no effort or clean up ever made.

Of course we also have the tyres and other debris left on roads for days on end, even on motorways that are tolled and privately operated where one would expect a decent maintenence regime.

Or, have a look along the N7 as you head out of Dublin - its appaling, Litter and crap everywhere and it obviously has never been touched since it was upgraded (Newlands X to Kill in particular).

Personally, I have never seen such dirt on the road network in any country I have ever been in with the singular exception of the Los Angeles Motorway network which is just as filthy.

Its hardly a good impression for the tourists or business people coming from the airport along the M50 and travelling to the various parts of the city and country.

While the litter isnt the fault of the NRA or local councils, is too much to expect that some cleansing is done on the roads?

Is it unreasonable to expect contractors to actually landscape and remove the **** and deris from all over the road??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Landscaping is a particular bugbear of mine. It's a result of the "ah sure twill do attitude", codified in the NRA's ridiculous new planting guidelines document.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

It's a disgrace Tremelo, but even more so the litter. I have never seen as bad as it as I said, except in LA.

Sparse landscaping I can half buy due to the costs of maintaining it, but allowing sparsity to become a dumping ground as well is appalling.

I e-mailed the M50 concessionaire twice now about the state of the M50. Still no reply. So nice that all the tolls I pay to use this road actually get something done... or even an answer!:rolleyes:

I know litter isnt their fault - but any heavily trafficked route will get dirty - and other countries seem to manage it. These are our major thoroughfares. It just seems like we dont give a **** in this country anymore.

I'd go so far as to volunteer myself for a clean up effort. A bit of effort from the councils and i'd imagine they would get plenty of willing people. I understand there are health and safety issues at play having people working along busy motorways, but something can quite clearly be done.

Road signs and verges need cleaning regularly - except here it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

THE DIRTY IRISH!!! Only interested in brown envelopes and what is in it for me!

I'm Irish and angry. I have just come back from South Africa. A so called second world country. Not a pick of litter and roads in an immaculate condition. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Should drive up the M2. I think that it's basically being used as a tip head at the meoment. I've even seen full bags of rubbish left on the side of the road under one of the flyovers. Who's responsible for keeping the banks tidy - NRA local council or who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Local council.

Concessionaire's are for the M50, M3, parts of the M1/4/7/8/N25/N18

In fairness to the M50 concessionaire I've seen them litter picking more than once.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Local council.

Concessionaire's are for the M50, M3, parts of the M1/4/7/8/N25/N18

In fairness to the M50 concessionaire I've seen them litter picking more than once.

Really MYOB? Whereabouts on the M50? I do notice that the sections on the southside are cleaner by and large, but then its a narrower section there and not nearly as busy as the Western and Northern Sections.

I have seen litter picking on the M50 before the upgrade, but not since unfortunately.

Ref the M2, I havent driven it in a while, but yes, I remember last time it wasnt too clean.

Seriously, how the hell can this be acceptable?

The problem is the NRA advise its the councils job to clean up - which may be true. But do the NRA not have some say in the maintenence of a road? And wouldnt maintenence include the general upkeep including asthaetics of a road?

Some councils seem to be better than others - parts of the M8 are very well kept. Fingal and South Dublin councils do not seem to give a damn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Generally along the Western bit. They even have M50 Concession branded bin bags...

SDCC has no motorways in its control at all that I'm aware of? The M50 is under M50 Concession Ltd.

MYOB wrote: »
    Generally along the Western bit. They even have M50 Concession branded bin bags...

SDCC has no motorways in its control at all that I'm aware of? The M50 is under M50 Concession Ltd.

I would include the N7 and N4 in that heading - I know not legally motorways, but still major routes.

Good to hear they do something on the western bit - but someone needs to tell them to look around the junctions too.. The N4 and N7 junctions are filthy.

Well, actually.. I did tell them. They just didnt seem to listen...;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I have to say i never noticed this on any of the roads mentioned. I probably dont drive them often enough and have too much to pay attention to such as correct lanes to get into approaching Newlands, M50 junctions etc but really, is it that bad? Id probably notice if i was a regular using them

Yes, its absolutely dire on some bits. Next time you can, if you exit the M50 southbound onto the naas road outbound, or indeed to the Lucan road outbound, take a look at the verges as you pass beneath the bridge structures.

Its like a rubbish dump. Thats just two examples. The whole Naas road from Newlands X out as far as Kill is just as bad.

Maybe my field of vision is wider than average, I dont know. ;-)

But it is just disgusting - hardly the image this country needs to project right now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement