Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mike Cubbard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    instead are busy polluting an otherwise decent discussion

I'll have to second this. Can you kindly keep it on topic (the quality/merit of Cubbard as a candidate vs other Galway West candidates), please.

And you're a mod too :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Lol the more you bitch the more it just looks like you really are jealous that Cubbard is running and you're not. the fathers rights party managed to field candidates in the last election even though on the ballot paper they were down as independents, you couldn't even managed that? sour grapes and a massive chip on your shoulder tbh.
    To be honest, I'd rather be all of the above (although I'm not, and I don't feel particulary inclined to explain why), than be speaking out in support of someone for no explicable reason, while there are plenty of reasons not to. Can we keep it on topic now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

To be honest, I'd rather be all of the above (although I'm not, and I don't feel particulary inclined to explain why), than be speaking out in support of someone for no explicable reason, while there are plenty of reasons not to. Can we keep it on topic now.

I haven't spoken in support of anyone. However you're the one complaining about me casting insinuations, while you said earlier in the thread that Cubbard is only out for himself and just wants a TD wage. That's major insinuations bordering on libel.

I haven't spoken in support of anyone. However you're the one complaining about me casting insinuations, while you said earlier in the thread that Cubbard is only out for himself and just wants a TD wage. That's major insinuations bordering on libel.
    What, no lol? Good, I hope he comes out to defend himself. I see no reason to imagine otherwise at this point, although I sincerely hope he proves me wrong.

One thing is for sure - you aren't helping his case.

Can we continue the discussion on topic please, you're continually dragging it into other areas.

What, no lol? Good, I hope he comes out to defend himself. I see no reason to imagine otherwise at this point, although I sincerely hope he proves me wrong.

One thing is for sure - you aren't helping his case.

Can we continue the discussion on topic please, you're continually dragging it into other areas.

Serious lolz, don't you want do discuss your assertion that he is only out for himself and for a TD wage? That was on topic when you said it, why not now?

• Advertisement

Serious lolz, don't you want do discuss your assertion that he is only out for himself and for a TD wage? That was on topic when you said it, why not now?
    I'm quite happy to do so. I don't think you're qualified to speak on it though, despite making assertions about a libel threat, which is enough to get you sitebanned.

You can't just shout questions into the wilderness and expect answers, then complain that he hasn't replied. Make him aware of your questions or put up with it.

someone has made him aware of this thread on his facebook page.

now can we just drop the petty squabbling, please? thanks :D

I'm quite happy to do so. I don't think you're qualified to speak on it though, despite making assertions about a libel threat, which is enough to get you sitebanned.

lol twisting words again. I didn't make any libel threat, I said what you said was bordering on libel. So why don't you tell us more about how he's only out for himself and a TD's wage?

lol twisting words again. I didn't make any libel threat, I said what you said was bordering on libel. So why don't you tell us more about how he's only out for himself and a TD's wage?
    I'm waiting for him to tell us. You might hide behind broad hints, but its fairly clear what you tried to imply. Post reported.

Broad hints about what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Too bad Cubbard didn't make it in before the lock.

Ok I've been asked to open this again and have reconsidered.
    I'll do so with the warning that any on-thread bickering or nonsense posting will lead to a ban until after election day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

PomBear wrote: »
    Derek Nolan added me

My fault, I used the 'suggest friend' function to suggest you as a friend for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭R28

biko wrote: »
    Ok I've been asked to open this again and have reconsidered.
    I'll do so with the warning that any on-thread bickering or nonsense posting will lead to a ban until after election day.

Will that include the Mod who appeared to be doing at least 50% of the on thread bickering? :D

I'd love to hear from Mike Cupboard on this thread to be honest. I think I'd like to vote for him but I haven't seen or heard anything related to his policies or views. As it stands I have him down midway through my list of preferences as part of the anyone but FF brigade (Hell, even knowing next to nothing about him he couldn't possibly be any worse then Ollie 'I'll do anything to get into power' Crowe) but I'd like to at least have the opportunity to see if I could give him a higher preference.

R28 wrote: »
    Will that include the Mod who appeared to be doing at least 50% of the on thread bickering? :D
    He's just another user in this section of boards. I wouldn't hesitate to infract or ban anyone if I deemed in necessary
    /powertrip
    Now that everyone has been warned I hope we can discuss Mr Cubbard's policies.

For me, tbh I don't see anything that sets Mr Cubbard apart from the others. His policies seems pretty straightforward. Perhaps being from the Westside means that he's truly one of the people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Stick it in the Pan

Strikes me as a nice lad but not the brightest. Maybe he can get on the council in a few decades if he improves but he shouldn't be let near a national parliament.

On the one hand, he's against any further cuts. On the other, (taken from his facebook page) he is proposing that we invest more in education and health..

Where does he propose we get the funds to do all this?

Either:
    a) He's living in lala land and completely out of his depth; or,
    b) He's like most other career politicians and making promises he'll have little hope of actually bringing to fruition.

Either way, that's not something I want to vote for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

biko wrote: »
    For me, tbh I don't see anything that sets Mr Cubbard apart from the others.
    He's not in FF, FG, GP, Labour or any other right wing political party.
    That has to be a good start.

Yes but, getting back to the point made by the OP, there are better Independent candidates out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i think Mike is getting a little too much flak on this thread.

Iv met him and he is a sound guy.
    He is passionate about politics and means well. Of all the candidates he is the most "normal" of the lot.Hes not a publican, a teacher, a barrister or a banker which is what all the rest are. A normal enough young dude with a young family.
    As regard his policies, ok maybe he is a little vague in want he wants but look at the rest!
    Connolly, build 4,000 more council houses, where is the money gonna come from that?
    Walsh, no more health cuts, again where is the money?
    Crowe who owns 4/5 houses which he rents to the corpo! we dont need his ilk!

In fact im going to start a thread on all the other candidates!!
    If Mike is gonna get thorn to shreds they all are!!

• Advertisement

Good point.

I know him too, and one thing he has, are good intentions.
    Too many upper class types run for parliament and they don't give two hells about the lower classes.

In relation to his policies, he's running as an independent, he doesn't have the luxury of a party war machine filling that in for him.

Sure are people forgetting the Lisbon Treaty ''Yes for more jobs'' posters, when it had nothing to do with jobs, but yet people let FF, FG and Labour fill them with that crap just so they'd be nice and vote how Europe wanted us too.
    The least of the concerns in the campaign are their promises, it's what they do when they have the power and the honesty they show that counts.

I wouldn't be overly concerned if he doesn't know the facts and figures for every Government department, who does?... and the Government pay plenty of experts in each field so i doubt even the cabinet are that in touch with the numbers.

At any rate speaking off ''throwing idle comments out there'' i passed a sign for Naughton today and it said something daft like ''Invest in: Tourism etc...'' considering she has a party feeding her campaign that seems fairly vague as well IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

skelliser wrote: »
    i think Mike is getting a little too much flak on this thread.

In fact im going to start a thread on all the other candidates!!
    If Mike is gonna get thorn to shreds they all are!!

I think the main point that future politicians need to take from this thread is that spelling is very important.
    Were it not for these mistakes I wonder if this thread would have been started and such an in-depth nitpicking of this candidate's policies (or lack of) have occurred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 My View

Mike Cubbard is not a true Independent, he was a member of Fianna Fáil for almost six years during the Celtic Tiger era from 2003 to 2009. He also canvassed for a Yes Vote during Lisbon Treaty saga of May 2008 alongside sitting F Fáil TD Frank Fahey in Galway. He a FF reject that simply became disgruntled when they said he'd never get on the ticket for the local elections in 2009 not alone even contemplating contesting a General election.

He lacks substance and simply the intellect to action change and deal with the major challenges facing this country now and for the next 15 years.

The amount of absolute empty rhetoric on his website is ridicolous, I would like to question Mr. Cubbard on his main political objectives if elected a member of Dáil Eireann;

1. How would you re-negotiate the IMF Deal? Please explain with figures,
    projections to support your views?

2. Job Creation, How? Please don't suggest anymore community
    employment schemes and local enterprise boards.

3. To Fight for Fairness and Inequality in Ireland? Please explain.

4. Reform of the political system? Substance please!!

Frankly this guy with no disrepect meant, would be ok as a local councillor if someone had a problem with noisy neighbours or the water system is not working, He would be fine to make a phone call but anything above this level I'm afraid he's simply out of his league in comparison to the other candidates CV's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

The email address on his webpage doesn't seem to work. When it's clicked it changes from .net to .com in the Outlook. I sent him an email and it was returned to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

@Myview
    Are for real with your information? Thanks for letting us know. I will never vote for anyone that is associated with FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 My View

100% Mr. Cubbard cannot deny his long term associations with Fianna Fáil, I like the way he uses the term "The Government" not Fianna Fáil - OK if it was a short term stint for 12 months helping out, learning how a political campaign works etc, but being an actual member of Fianna Fáil for over 5/6 years. Something to hide for sure.

He's a sheep that has always followed the flock and will continue to do so.

If anyone would like to challenge me on the above statement, please feel free to do so or even better question Mr. Cubbard himself.

My View wrote: »
    he was a member of Fianna Fáil for almost six years during the Celtic Tiger era from 2003 to 2009. He also canvassed for a Yes Vote during Lisbon Treaty saga of May 2008 alongside sitting F Fáil TD Frank Fahey in Galway.
    And this is why someone trying to come across as a plain honest man of the people should immediately set off big giant alarm bells in everyone's head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Canvasser

Cubbard is a good lad, met him a few times. Will be getting a high preference from myself. I've told the wife to give him a #4 preference too.

...says the FF canvasser.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

@My View
    Who's view exactly?
    Sorry, but you have registered solely to post on this so I'll have to completely disregard everything you say. That's just the way it is.
    Cubbard has explicitly denied ever being a member of FF. He said he campaigned for a Yes vote (which I do not support), but not for any party.
    If you have any evidence I guess now would be the time to show it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement