Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reduce image for emails

Options
  • 11-02-2011 7:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Computer is 4yrs old Windows XP media centre ed.

I want to reduce pictures to fit into emails (without cutting image size).
    Have tried using Paint programmes but only cuts down image using measurements or pixels which results in less image.

Any suggestions on how to cut down on quality to fit emails.

Thanks for reading.

Have attached shot of my programmes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Photobucket will sort that out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Photobucket changes the image quality to medium on upload. Just tested this and the pic went from 209kB to 110kB. Many pic hosters do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

thanks lads, lets give this a go...
    mnnn, its a bit small. started at 2mb went down to 6kb on upload to photobucket. Optimum would be just over 100kbs. I'll try again.
    Thanks again, I'm on the right track...

try again...nope not big enough...I'll get the hang of it yet !!!

here we go again.......ok, I'm not quite there yet...

I want to change a 2MBjpeg to about 110KBs for uploading to sites like this one. Can Photoshop do this for me?
    thanks for you help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

If you want to preserve the quality, you pretty much will have to preserve the filesize. You can cut the images into bits using WinRAR and send each smaller bit in its own separate email.

Get WinRAR and install.
    Right click the image file > Add to archive
    In the Split into volumes dropdown put something like 500000 which is about half a MegaByte
    OK
    Send each file in their own email and extract at other end with WinRAR

Thank you Tricky. Seems like a lot of work. I just have to remember to set camera on VGA then they are all normally fine. I reackon I can chop bits with my existing lexmark software. I just wanted clear shots of the two fans in computer.

I appreciate your time. thanks again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Just install a good basic free editor like Irfanview and use a combination of reduced resolution and compression.

Thank you all. Finally got it. Used Irfanview....Its the pixels isn't it:D.

Thanks every one , I'm sorted. Much appreciated.

Advertisement