Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamp Duty 2011

Options
  • 11-02-2011 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

As a matter of interest a friend of mine told me yesterday that he knows of a case of a fellow who put his foundations in and then paid 1% stamp duty (as it was classified as a residential property once the foundation was in) rather than the 6% he would have had to pay on just the site alone. Now he assured me this case was brought before relavent bodies and got cleared. Has anyone else heard of this scenario occuring as it could save me up to €4500??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be careful what you wish for as you may end up paying VAT on site+foundations.

I'm sure there will be a guide to stamp duty on www.revenue.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭doniepony

Could anyone tell me how is your site valued for the purpose of stamp Duty. Who values it and at what stage must the stamp duty be paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

doniepony wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me how is your site valued for the purpose of stamp Duty.
    Normally it is based on the transaction value. If the transaction value is materially different from the open market value, then the Revenue can insist on the the open market value being used.
    at what stage must the stamp duty be paid?
    Almost immediately at the contract signing stage.

Advertisement