Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It is hard to be a football fan.

• 11-02-2011 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭

And follow your favourites on the road when this happens:

uitvakpolen.jpg

uitvakpolen2.jpg

notecianka_pakosc.jpg

polen-uitkooi.jpg

uitvakpolen.jpg

All from Poland.

Anyone else has anything like this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

TBF they probably love the idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Lol at the "stewards" in balaclavas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I thought they were the match officials :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I cant see it taking off in the EPL really. :pac:

TBF it looks like amateur football anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Are they not armed police?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,397 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

A lot of Hamburg fans were herded like sheep into a box like that in Manchester after the Uefa Cup game 2 years ago.
    Then someone threw a PLASTIC beer cup from the back and hit one of the cops. Good times.

It's quite normal in Germany for away fans to be surrounded by barriers. Not jail bars like them but ones with spikes on the top so you can't get out.

6.Away%2BFans.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Longford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Longford.

Limerick these days too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It certainly is, especially when you're treated like a criminal for having the audacity to go and support your football team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Limerick these days too.

Theres one stand and everyone else stands beside the wall :confused:

Do they do something special for Shels fans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

dreamers75 wrote: »

Do they do something special for Shels fans?

They have us over the opposite side of the pitch to the stand, have it sectioned off with fences and stewards either side till after the match when they've cleared the local pieballs out of the stand who like to throw rocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

dreamers75 wrote: »

I assumed Gavin was refering to Limerick itself. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

It was in May 2002. UEFA Cup Final between Feyenoord Rotterdam and Borussia Dortmund...in Rotterdam:

I went down there by train, which was pelted with stones and bottles at every train station in the Netherlands.

On arrival in Rotterdam (train station behind the away section), the supporters from Dortmund were locked in a cage, pelted with missiles by Dutch 'supporters' again.

After the match, the Dortmund supporters were herded in the cage again, pelted again. The cops (looked more like soldiers from a Science Fiction movie) used telescopic batons against anyone they didn't like.

I guess, I was more than happy to be back on German soil...and heard the rumor, that Borussia lost the final on purpose in order to protect their supporters.

I didn't go to Seville last year though, but again Borussia Dortmund supporters were treated like animals...and like in Rotterdam, there were no Hooligans around, because at 'high risk matches' like these, they have to report to the local police station every 2 hours at the day and are not able to leave the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Lars1916 wrote: »
    It was in May 2002. UEFA Cup Final between Feyenoord Rotterdam and Borussia Dortmund...in Rotterdam.

I guess, I was more than happy to be back on German soil...and heard the rumor, that Borussia lost the final on purpose in order to protect their supporters.

Sure. And so did Freiburg, Rangers, PSV and Inter Milan.

The UEFA decided the final would be in Rotterdam when Feyenoord was still in the Champions League.
    Finals are organised by the UEFA, Feyenoord had nothing to do with how things went in and around the stadium.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

In Salzburg when Bohs played over there, even though it was a modern stadium, the Bohs fans were put into a kind of a cage with barriers separating the fans from the rest of the crowd, as seen here: http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/4176/fansduringthematch.jpg

Spot me for extra credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

inforfun wrote: »
    Sure. And so did Freiburg, Rangers, PSV and Inter Milan.

The UEFA decided the final would be in Rotterdam when Feyenoord was still in the Champions League.
    Finals are organised by the UEFA, Feyenoord had nothing to do with how things went in and around the stadium.

I am sure, the stewards in the stadium were recruited by Feyenoord, this is the practice in the European Cups. Stewards are provided by the host, but they have to apply to the rules, set out by UEFA.

And the cops outside the ground? They were dutch for sure...and we all know, that there is no friendship between the Dutch and the Germans.

Maybe not all the blame is on Feyenoord's side, but some is anyway :mad:

Advertisement