Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marriage breakup....what now?

• 11-02-2011 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭

Hope someone can help.

I have recently split up from my husband and until now he's been living in the home but this has become unworkable. I now have no option but to leave. I have two children and am on JSA, he works part time but the money he is making just barely covers our mortgage so I can't ask him for any more to pay for another place to stay.

What can I do???? Have heard that I won't qualify for rent allowance as I am leaving voluntarily

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

You should immediately ask your Local Authority to assess you for social housing. Outline, in detail, that it is an emergency situation. As soon as you have applied for that, (and get some confirmation from the LA that you have applied and the date), go to the Community Welfare Officer at your local HSE and apply for Rent Supplement. The CWO doesn't usually pay Rent Supplement before the Local Authority has assessed you as being eligible for social housing, but the RS Operational Guidelines states the following:

Rent Supplement is not payable while a housing needs assessment is being undertaken. Some limited exceptions may apply.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/pages/swa_rent.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

There are a number of issues about getting rent supplement in your position.

To be honest, you really need some one to one advice and support to get through all the issues around this. I would suggest that you contact OPEN (One Parent Exchange Network) who are national network of organisations, their number is 01-8148860

The other organisation you should consider contacting about the rent supplement is Threshold, which deal with housing rights and homelessness and are very good 01-678 6096

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

It is an awkward situation. I have examples of 2 close people who have gone through the same.

1 was 2 yrs ago, she left with child and arranged a house, she had the money for around 10 mths rent so decided to take the plunge and sort out the rent supplement then. It was an uphill struggle, after a few months of stress and worry she started to go see local councillors and would be crying in their offices trying to get it sorted. Her husband was not her childrens father so she wasnt really entitled to anything from him. Eventually she did get some allowance, around half of the rent because one child was over 18 and working it was expected he pay half the rent so she was only entitled to 50% supplement. It was pretty much thanks to the local td getting behind her and pushing for help for her.

2 only in the last few months. Husband had left but threatening behaviour and turning up letting himself in unannounced. Suddenly he decided he was moving back and made it unbearable. She had a friend in the system who sorted out getting her a deposit for rent, her first month rent in advance was paid for by her mother. She only just moved in and has found out that her rent payment is not actually guaranteed because she was not forced out of her home so it is a waiting game at the minute.

Your situation is a very stressful one, I would suggest calling the numbers given above and speaking to them, of the ladies I know of it has been a battle and will continue to be. Since my husband becoming unemployed we have had the help of rent supplement but it is a nightmare,constant forms to be filled and it is so awkward honestly, it isnt the ideal situation to be in.

I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you will find it about easier than the 2 examples above, all you can do is try.

Advertisement