Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railway line needed for a photoshoot

Options
  • 11-02-2011 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭

I am after a disused railway line so that it can be included as part of a photoshoot I am looking to do in the near future.

Does anyone know where there are any in or around the county that has access??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

Yea, the railway line that goes through Tuam is unused and can be accessed on the N17 or from the railway station beside the stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

I am after a disused railway line so that it can be included as part of a photoshoot I am looking to do in the near future.

Does anyone know where there are any in or around the county that has access??

Cheers

Hmmmm..A disused railway line in the West........?? Now theres a new concept.....))

I would think you would have very little hassels accessing many of the railway lines in the West, certainly there won't be too many trains knocking you over in Tuam any time soon anyway........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

The railway station from the movie "The Quiet Man" is Ballyglunin station which is on the same line between Tuam and Athenry.

I think that the station is now a private house so you would obviously need permission to do the photoshoot here.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's another crossing the road just before Gort. Never seen it used but could be wrong.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

biko wrote: »
    There's another crossing the road just before Gort. Never seen it used but could be wrong.
    That stretch was reopened last March. There should be 8 trains a day using that crossing.

OP, you want anything North of Athenry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Doing an Irish version?
    moviepic046.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Thanks for the comments guys.

It has to be a line that isnt in use for obvious reasons :D:p

Robbo wrote: »
    OP, you want anything North of Athenry.

I dont mind as long as we can all get access and use it safely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭hamlet1

tuam/athenry line not used and its accessible from a few places near cussaun cross, rabbits hill and carrarea

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

The whole railway line from Tuam to Athenry is accessible (including ballyglunin) without any problem. The only obstacle that you might meet is grazing horses along the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 ningnong

Railway line in Tuam is currently disused but the station was restored by locals in September. I've seen quite a few people use the platforms and line for photoshoots.

For interest, as part of the Tuam Mercy Transition Year Project, the girls have created a survey to get the Tuam Railway back on track. They will enter the results as part of their project for the national YOUNG SOCIAL INNOVATORS competition.

Here's a link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/Home_Landing.aspx?sm=PWhnvRCgzKGeShxW2y1SqUg4kHLjwuWrxb1oDodw6lU%3d

ningnong wrote: »
    Railway line in Tuam is currently disused but the station was restored by locals in September. I've seen quite a few people use the platforms and line for photoshoots.

Thanks for that.

Just out of interest, who can I speak to to get access to the train station??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Thanks for that.

Just out of interest, who can I speak to to get access to the train station??

Two different views of Tuam Station:

Before Clean-up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHFA4TT1Pgs&playnext=1&list=PLF7D70880359B5850

After Clean-Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqoO0ixVBgY

Contact Irish Rail I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ningnong

As regards access to the station itself, there's a restaurant located in part of the station called The Railway Kitchen and that is open every day except Sunday. A man called Jarlath Canney runs it so maybe contact him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

this route woudl make a great greenway like the Newport-Mulranny- Achill greenway - and it would be of real benefit to the entire community - forget about the railway its not happening even FG have given up on this one and Enda is a Mayo man - the FG manifesto says the rail line is going to be the subject of a cost benefit analysis by independent experts - doesn't sound too good an endorsement of a train anytime soon does it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Tuam rail track, I took this a good few months ago but presume it's in the same state. It's in Tuam town.

same picture as link above.

4338264013_8f7fe6bdc2_z.jpg?zz=1

Cheers,
    Pa.

Advertisement