Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heroin hell!

Options
  • 11-02-2011 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

I always knew by osmosis of media stories that Kilkenny is reputed to have a bad heroin problem but it's been brought home to me. I was speaking to someone today who was telling me about a family member being buried after a heroin overdose and a close friend of that family member, also an addict, committed suicide recently plus another guy also died. 8 year olds taking heroin in the town!! For my money dealing heroin should be punishable by a death sentence. Bastards.

http://www.advertiser.ie/kilkenny/article/28499
    Dawn swoops as gardai raid 40 premises in heroin crackdown
    KILKENNY ADVERTISER, JULY 09, 2010.
    By Naoise Coogan

Heroin dealers in the south-east region were targeted yesterday by 70 Gardai involved in a year-long surveillance operation organised to avert drug dealing in the region.

Some 14 people were arrested following the swoops on over 40 premises in the Carlow Town area and they were taken to Garda stations in Kilkenny, Carlow, Thomastown and Athy for questioning under Section 2 of the Drugs Trafficking Act.

It is understood that at least three of the arrested are female while the suspects range in ages from mid 20s to mid 60s.

The arrests followed months of surveillance and undercover Garda work which saw Gardai posing as drug addicts seeking heroin from the dealers.

Supt Gerry Redmond told the media yesterday afternoon that the operation was very successful and that those arrested would now appear before the courts for heroin-supplying offences.

Gardai from the South Eastern Regional Drugs Unit supported by the Garda National Drugs Unit were involved in the swoops and in the prior month’s operation targeting the sale and supply of heroin in the south-east region.

This is understood to be one of the single biggest Garda operations in the south-east of the country in years.

Speaking to the Kilkenny Advertiser yesterday afternoon following the morning’s dramatic events, Cllr Joe Malone who has a diploma in addiction studies and who works very closely with young people with drug problems in Kilkenny said that this is good news for the whole of the south east region.

“It can only be good if the dealers are caught. It means that they are off the streets. It doesn’t mean that they are gone forever and won’t be replaced but for now the streets are a safer place.”

However, he pointed out that there is no point taking dealers off the streets unless something is done to help those that are addicted to heroin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

please if you know heroin users make them aware of this.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/heroin_deaths_epidemic_in_kilkenny_and_carlow_leads_to_warning_1_2399686

Heroin deaths epidemic in Kilkenny and Carlow leads to warning
    Published on Thu Feb 10 22:24:42 GMT 2011

THREE Kilkenny men have died in the last six days from drug overdoses. Following the re-emergence of the killer drug heroin on the streets of the city, a community worker has called on addicts to stop injecting themselves.
    Pat Connaughton, a drugs out-reach worker with the South East Drugs Task Force and employed by St Vincent de Paul has said that if the addicts are going to use heroin, they should smoke it, a line at a time to gauge its strength. His warning comes after three separate deaths of Kilkenny men, two in the city and one in Dublin from a new batch of the drug that has come via Tallaght in Dublin. A fourth addict in the city committed suicide in the last month - unable to get his hands on heroin.
    The first of the victims, will be buried this morning (Friday). Another known addict died in Dublin on Wednesday from an overdose and a third young man was found dead in his bed on Thursday afternoon by his mother close to Kilkenny city centre.
    Pat Connaughton has said there has also been an overdose death in Carlow in the past week and that the problem is now an epidemic He explained the drug has been off the streets for the last number of months because of a supply problem but that a new batch of the drug, which is believed to have came from Afghanistan, is so pure that it is killing users. “They are not used to this strength and it is simply too much for their system,” Mr Connaughton said. He works two and a half days a week in Kilkenny city and the rest of the time in Carlow town.
    People can ring Pat Connaughton at 085-7888326

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I am shocked and saddened.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

Heart breaking for family members and it is a truly evil drug.Agree with 'up for anything' that people dealing this drug should be punishable by death.Unfortunately like everything else in this country,there are not enough resources to tackle this issue and it will get worse.Ordinary people will also feel the repercussions of this problem too,as easy money dries up in the country,crime will undoubtedly rise as they try to feed their habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

I went to school with one of them, he had always been in trouble during school years.

Met him on the bus to dublin a few months ago and he told me all his stories about being in and out of prison and the drug abuse, etc. Can't really remember much but I remember when he was finished he just said: "Well... Thats the road I took" almost like he regretted it.

The town needs help alright..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

It's a sad state of affairs.

It's tough times for a lot of families at the moment. The effects of heroin has been evident in Kilkenny for the past couple of years and it seems like there's been a huge surge in deaths in recent days. Apparently there's been a shortage since before Christmas and recently a bad batch got introduced to Kilkenny which has been causing havoc.

You'd really hope that current users would be scared clean from recent events.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Jesus that's terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

I remember an old friend of mine died from it a few years ago. You would think these users would learn. Obviously not.

I don't think its a matter of users learning. I'ts an addiction.

The majority of users I'm sure would rather had they never touched it in the first place.

I'm the Pat Connaughton from the article above and do/have worked with all these users.

I'm in a state of shock here around this, just cant believe it.

Can people who posted names of the deceased remove them though out of respect for the families? I know some of the families do not want their childrens deaths associated with drugs.

out of respect and dignity for the deceased I think it's only fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Maxiebaby

It's been a big problem in Kilkenny for years but it's got so out of control, most of the ppl I hung around with are now dealing or taking it, just back from one funeral... and hearing rumors 6 more have been taken into hospital and 2 dead.... :eek: unconfirmed but just wondering if anyone else has heard?.... a total lack of God is what I put it down to!... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    I went to school with one of them, he had always been in trouble during school years.

Same as myself so. If it is the same person, I remember him from primary school, but, I don't remember too much else.

I was away from Kilkenny for a number of years, maybe I was a bit naive, but I didn't think it had gotten this bad. Heroin is poison, pure and simple, can have you hooked on your first try, what puzzles me is why people try it to start with...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

yeah I never undrstood that either? I mean wih all the media coverage and popular movies showing how soul destroying and addictive it is-what makes people try it?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

laylah wrote: »
    yeah I never undrstood that either? I mean wih all the media coverage and popular movies showing how soul destroying and addictive it is-what makes people try it?:confused:

With all the media coverage and popular movies showing how soul destroying and addictive alcohol is, what makes people drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

My posts got deleted. Never mind. I heard a load of crap going around tonight, Two people on heroin took there lifes. I know the names but can't name them. Anyone hear know anything else? Im after getting a few texts and calls already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Maxiebaby wrote: »
    It's been a big problem in Kilkenny for years but it's got so out of control, most of the ppl I hung around with are now dealing or taking it, just back from one funeral... and hearing rumors 6 more have been taken into hospital and 2 dead.... :eek: unconfirmed but just wondering if anyone else has heard?.... a total lack of God is what I put it down to!... :(
    I don't believe in an almighty invisible man and yet I don't take drugs. Please don't argue that believing god stops people taking drugs.

Heroins been running rampant for ages. Comer has alot of people on it.

A young lad I used to hang around with is now dead. Also a certain someone in a wheelchair has been found dead too. I heard that from his neighbour. Anyone else hear anything weather its true or not? This is shocking, dropping like flys:eek:

Buried the father a few months back too.

Wakey Wakey scumbag dealers!

I'm confused. Have two people died from overdose in Kilkenny this week or are there more? Rereading the thread it sounds like meltdown out there.

catbear wrote: »
    I'm confused. Have two people died from overdose in Kilkenny this week or are there more? Rereading the thread it sounds like meltdown out there.

three confirmed catbear this week

no more confirmed deaths.

catbear wrote: »
    5 that i know of. One is suicide(heroin related).

Plug wrote: »
    5 that i know of. One is suicide(heroin related).
    This past week?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Todays exmainer says 3 in KK and one in Carlow, in the last 6 days.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Maxiebaby wrote: »

I believe in The Big Man above, but it's difficult to paint every circumstance with the same brush. There's plenty of people out there who believe, and still suffer from various addictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Any theism v narcotics debate is totally daft and impossible to reconcile through systematic logical debate. And it doesn't belong here. This is about Heroin Hell!

Anyway, hard to believe a place like Kilkenny has a heroin problem... Or HAD a heroin problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Any theism v narcotics debate is totally daft and impossible to reconcile through systematic logical debate. And it doesn't belong here. This is about Heroin Hell!.

Very fair point. I'd suggest the moderator removes all such theism debate from this thread, in order to keep future replies on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

While I am saddened to hear of this ammount of tragic deaths in such a short ammount of time, tbh Im not shocked or even surprised. Surely everyone realises heroin is being delt in most towns in the country? My fear is that this is going to get much worse with all the cutbacks, lack of resources and general misery in the country at the minute :(

I was told that this morning. His poor mam went through alot in recent years. Unfortunate.
    Its confirmed, he died in Prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Is this one of the recent stars of Google street maps that we're talking about? I'd heard something about that but there's an awful lot of erroneous rumours going around about people dying at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭benagain

wake up people its been killin dublin working class kids for the last 30years you only care because its on your doorstep you aint seen nothing yet , no one cared about the dublin kids and they wont care about yours , celtic tiger me bollix , its the same as it ever was fcuk you jack im alright .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Who died? Deals on Wheels himself?

• Advertisement

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Who died? Deals on Wheels himself?
    Yeap.

The suicide chap I was on about is actually out in hospital on a life support is the latest i heard:rolleyes:

Advertisement