Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heroin hell!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Please stop bringing any refrence of religion or gods into a discussion. You cannot have a logical discussion once they are brought into conversation.

Surely if a person feels that it is of relevance, regardless if others disagree, they are free to raise the topic in the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

DerryRed wrote: »
    Surely if a person feels that it is of relevance, regardless if others disagree, they are free to raise the topic in the discussion.
    It's an ignorant statement. you might as well say being rich stops you commiting crime.

It's an ignorant statement. you might as well say being rich stops you commiting crime.

Regardless of whether it's ignorant or not (which you're entitled to say), I don't feel you are entitled to request someone not to bring it into the discussion. Free speech and all that.

At the end of the day, telling people what to include and not include is the job of the moderator.

DerryRed wrote: »
    Regardless of whether it's ignorant or not (which you're entitled to say), I don't feel you are entitled to request someone not to bring it into the discussion. Free speech and all that.

At the end of the day, telling people what to include and not include is the job of the moderator.
    Consider it using my free speech and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

We really need to separate Church and state. I have no problem with people citing spirituality on a thread like this but with so many religious agendas in government I do see a need to state those opinions with greater clarity.

Does the person who cited lack of god as contributing to the drug problem care to elaborate. As far as I can see there was never a time free of some addiction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Maxiebaby wrote: »
    ah 'Deals on wheels' is NOT dead, he's sitting on the landing outside his cell watching the inmates go by! ;)
    Plug wrote: »
    Fairly sure he is. I heard it from a load of people now including some of his friends and a neighbour of his.

Don't know if he is, or isn't, but I know which one would be better for society.

catbear wrote: »
    We really need to separate Church and state. I have no problem with people citing spirituality on a thread like this but with so many religious agendas in government I do see a need to state those opinions with greater clarity.

Does the person who cited lack of god as contributing to the drug problem care to elaborate. As far as I can see there was never a time free of some addiction.
    As long as the blasphemy law is in existance and this is the start of the constitution "In the Name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all actions both of men and States must be referred,
    We, the people of Éire,
    Humbly acknowledging all our obligations to our Divine Lord, Jesus Christ, Who sustained our fathers through centuries of trial,"
    There will never be a seperation despite claims that their is.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I don't think the introduction of religion to the topic was either helpful or unhelpful, merely meh. In post-match-interview style, "it is what it is..."
    There has been a small amount of moderation in the thread with 'some' names removed (at the request of a person directly involved) and once the discussion trucks along with reasonable intelligence and civility it's all good.
    edit But if you want to argue church vs. state them I'm pretty sure you'll find a more appropriate home for that discussion elsewhere on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ChristIsMurph

Hebron Park is where they tend to gather but the majority are not from there!.... with the exception of a few houses up there the rest of the residents are lovely decent people.... the place is spray painted at the moment, they were caught on camera and NONE are from there!.... :confused:

100% agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It's bad here in Waterford too. They need to really take a hardline approach with these dealers and dedicate as much time as possible to surveillance on them. Get the bastards out of the communities. It wrecks lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭zzyxxx

down-with-this-sort-of-thing1.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Do go on.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I remember reading from time to time where the women/mothers on drug ridden estates in the UK would band together to get rid of the dealers and put a brake on scum activity. I wonder how that worked out for them. You would imagine that if the decent people in Newpark banded together than they could make things quite uncomfortable for the small percentage of bad eggs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think they tried that here also (in Dublin) but it was supposed to have been a ra thing trying to out their competition.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

To be fair, the decent people will always be at a disadvantage to the drug dealers

To be fair, the decent people will always be at a disadvantage to the drug dealers

Not always true. In a tight knit community where everybody knows just about everybody else it they would have the advantage.

Not always true. In a tight knit community where everybody knows just about everybody else it they would have the advantage.
    Ah, I forgot that drug dealers cared about the community and what others thought of their business.

The only way a dealer will move is if the police get involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

dlofnep wrote: »
    It's bad here in Waterford too. They need to really take a hardline approach with these dealers and dedicate as much time as possible to surveillance on them. Get the bastards out of the communities. It wrecks lives.

Thats genius! What a revelation. Its amazing no-one has tried that approach before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

*sarcasm detector explodes*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Knew one lad back when I was in 3rd year who suggested that he had been taking it, not sure if he was telling the truth but from what I hear is that he is on it now. He was pretty insane 24/7 anyways. I never understood why people would go that far and stick a syringe in their arm, its actually a scary thought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

CiaranC wrote: »
    Thats genius! What a revelation. Its amazing no-one has tried that approach before.

Bollocks. Everyone and their dog knows who's dealing it, but the Gardaí still haven't moved them out of it. They obviously aren't doing enough.

Ah, I forgot that drug dealers cared about the community and what others thought of their business.

The only way a dealer will move is if the police get involved.

Really, so if a group of ten angry women/men come out onto the street and surround a known dealer and a putative client, the dealer is just going to carry on with the deal. The people don't have say or do anything apart from just standing there. It might take a week of constant vigilance but I would think it has a good chance of working it just needs a community to come together. What's to stop them from phoning the guards anyhow. Silent hounding has a detrimental effect on anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

dlofnep wrote: »
    Bollocks. Everyone and their dog knows who's dealing it, but the Gardaí still haven't moved them out of it. They obviously aren't doing enough.

If convicted someone else will take their place and around and around we go.

Hence the argument for trialling an alternative approach.

I lived in Dublin north inner city back in the early nineties. I don't know how it came together but community groups did fight back. They threw paintcans at houses of known dealers, they were constantly out patrolling. It did have a noticeable affect in the areas patrolled and dealers moved on. I don't know what happened later but societies can effect change.

Action happens when the risk of doing nothing is greater than the risk of action itself.

I lived in Dublin north inner city back in the early nineties. I don't know how it came together but community groups did fight back. They threw paintcans at houses of known dealers, they were constantly out patrolling. It did have a noticeable affect in the areas patrolled and dealers moved on. I don't know what happened later but societies can effect change.

Action happens when the risk of doing nothing is greater than the risk of action itself.

The problem is that too many people want to leave it to someone else do do the hard work.

Last year our Resident's Association wanted to setup a Neighbourhood Watch program in the estate. We put together a newsletter, and gave everyone plenty of notice about a meeting to get the ball rolling. Out of 241 houses, 25 people turned up at the meeting.

Hi Derry, I found this review of a book about anti drug community action in Dublin over the last three decades and I hope it's helpful.
    http://flag.blackened.net/revolt/wsm/ws/2005/89/drugs.html
    As you may read things can get messy but my memory of these areas was that no one in power cared so people did the best they could rather than nothing at all.
    I was attacked for drug money, it was a very scary experience. I know that it has to be fought by everyone, even tough so many think it doesn't effect them and maybe never will directly, but it will affect someone they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Maxiebaby

see the link on the last post in relation to a lack of God, it's not specific to drugs but to society in general.... bring on the abuse! ;)
    I make no appologies to anyone for mentioning God on a thread when it is relevant to the thread (in my opinion, just as others have opinions about head shops etc!)........ and just to set it straight... I'm not into 'religion':rolleyes:.... just the living God!:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JAL7S0pq_8 .... just in case you can't find the last post!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Maxiebaby

The drug dealers are getting soooo cheeky they deal the drugs out in the open and don't bother hiding it when ppl are walking past:mad:! my friend was talking to one of the known dealers in KK last year and while she was talking he was sorting out stuff in his pockets etc and proceeded to 'pop a few packs up his ass' while she was still talking:eek::eek:! they have become so immune to it all it's 'normal' now! :(

As for help for those trying to get off.... I trapesed up and down the country trying to help a guy I know since he was a lovely kid running around the place.... unless he was clean for 6 weeks before being accepted into a treatment centre he wouldn't be accepted and the waiting lists were 5-8 months long to get the call that he needed to be clean 6 weeks before hand for! in fairness if they can get themselves clean for 6 weeks they don't realy need the treatment centre.... the only place that would take them straight away without having to be clean is victory outreach in Navan, I know they are in Dublin and looking for a house in KK and Limerick now too, but they are not funded by the government.... the system is useless when it comes to these guys looking for help! .... why can't they get prison inmates to get up and build more prisons, treatment centres, playgrounds etc?.... we need 'tent city' put up in the middle of the curragh! :D might make them think twice about having to do time!

see the link on the last post in relation to a lack of God, it's not specific to drugs but to society in general.... bring on the abuse! ;)
    I make no appologies to anyone for mentioning God on a thread when it is relevant to the thread (in my opinion, just as others have opinions about head shops etc!)........ and just to set it straight... I'm not into 'religion':rolleyes:.... just the living God!:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JAL7S0pq_8 .... just in case you can't find the last post!

What is the relevance you are referring to?

• Advertisement

Actually, Maxie, no need to expand on that.

Science v Santa & Jesus is well off topic.

Advertisement