Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earth

Options
  • 11-02-2011 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭

I'm feeling the tingle of anticipation for the new Earth album, Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light Part 1, due out at the end of the month. It seems that R. Steven Moore is no longer in the band which is a shame as his contributions to the live sound pushed them at times into a space reminiscent of the Necks or even Miles Davis on an In A Silent Way tip. He has been replaced by a cellist which should do interesting things for the sound - I'd foresee a shift away from the the relatively lush and colourful sound of the last album to something darker and more brooding, albeit not as stark as Hex. They're playing the Button Factory in April and I'd highly recommend checking them out - the immersion in the sound you get in a live set can't be matched at home, even on headphones (although they are a superlative band for laying back with the cans on and your eyes closed).

Here's one from the new album:

I guess in some ways it's not so far from one of Neil Young's slowburn guitar epics...the breakdown in "Down By The River" for instance. Maybe this is the result of Dylan Carlsson's recent interest in Fairport Convention and Pentangle: Richard Thompson wouldn't favour that kind of twang in the guitar sound, but the slow, melancholy picking would fit.

I get the impression that Part 2 will be out whenever Southern Lord get their finger out...now if only Sunn O))) would record a new studio album instead of this trickle of limited edition, vinyl only, live stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I bet you can tell me the name of the Earth album featuring one very long track that consists mainly of a kind of distant rumble - a bit like something by Thomas Koner, though guitar-generated (I think). It's really outstanding but I never managed to figure out which of their albums it was on: one of the first few, I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

I'll take a stab and say that's probably "Thrones & Dominions" off Phase 3...pretty much nothing but very deep bass tones? That was the track that converted me into a true believer.

On the other hand, if you mean the whole album was one long track then it might be one of the live albums that came out while the band was more or less on hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I don't think it was the entire album - more like a track of around 20 minutes?

Actually I just checked out the clips on Allmusic.com and I think it might have been "Like Gold and Faceted" from "Earth 2":

http://www.allmusic.com/song/like-gold-and-faceted-t1029286

rottenhat wrote: »
    I'll take a stab and say that's probably "Thrones & Dominions" off Phase 3...pretty much nothing but very deep bass tones? That was the track that converted me into a true believer.

On the other hand, if you mean the whole album was one long track then it might be one of the live albums that came out while the band was more or less on hold.

Earth 2 is pretty much all of a piece, even though it's divided into three tracks - I recall "Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine" being the best but the whole album is just about wallowing in the measureless layers of distortion. I might have to give it a spin when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mrblondecutsear

Loving the new album. The cello adds a whole new dimension to their sound. Can't wait for the button factory gig

• Advertisement

Is it in the shops already? I looked in Tower on Sunday but nothing yet.

I ordered the red vinyl from southern lord's website and got it last week :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

This thread made me order the new Earth album , sounds great at first listen, have Earth 2 as well at home, completely different of course. Went online last night and ordered Hex and The Bees made Honey...(also Boris Pink and Sunn O)))s last one!)
    Any other essential Earth out there?

The only other one I have is 3: Phases And Dominions, which has some great tracks on it but doesn't have the same unity as the others. I'd be quite interested to hear Hibernaculum where they re-recorded four of their early sludgy classics in the style of the recent albums, and one of the live albums, Sunn Amps & Smashed Guitars is supposed to be worth tracking down. No Quarter reissued it a while ago but I was looking at their website at the weekend (for the new Psychic Paramount album...oh yeah!) and it seems to be OOP again. But basically, the more I listen to Earth and the more interviews with Dylan Carlsson I read, the more I think anything they record has to be worth hearing.

I wouldn't rate Pink as one of the best Boris albums but Monoliths and Dimensions is classic Sunn O))).

rottenhat wrote: »
    I'd be quite interested to hear Hibernaculum where they re-recorded four of their early sludgy classics in the style of the recent albums, and one of the live albums, Sunn Amps & Smashed Guitars is supposed to be worth tracking down.

Definitely get hibernaculum it's amazing plus it comes with a dvd. They were selling Sunn amps & smashed guitars when they played last time so ya might be able to get a copy at the button factory one too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Found this on Youtube from the new album recorded in Whelan's Dublin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFryEj8wXLc&feature=related

actually if anyone can get me a ticket for the Button factory gig in April I'd appreciate it ( I live down the country and as far as I know not available online).

Advertisement