Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plenty of fish but no bait !

Options
  • 11-02-2011 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Same old story down here in Cork, yet again.....

I'm a coarse fisherman - two days off of work & ideal time to head off fishing on the Blackwater - but there's no bait available !

I tried all of the tackle shops in cork & Co. Cork for maggots or worm but nobody is stocking it. I guess the worm will come in with the game angling, but its a serious hit for the coarse angling when there's nothing available.

One of the shops told me that he doesn't stock maggot at any time, but that a group of 5 UK anglers arrived in last week saying that they had given up trying to get bait & were heading home. It's a sad state of affairs in my book

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zziplex

If thats the way the shops are would you not farm your own maggots?? Or try deal direct yourself with the local worm farms if there is any.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I suppose it comes down to supply and demand. It wouldn't be work a shop stocking maggots if they only sell a few pints every now and then.

How busy is the coarse fishing scene at this time of year on the Blackwater?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

SeaFields wrote: »
    I suppose it comes down to supply and demand. It wouldn't be work a shop stocking maggots if they only sell a few pints every now and then.

How busy is the coarse fishing scene at this time of year on the Blackwater?

Used to be very busy as its the UK close season, so lots of guys took advantage of the cheaper ferries & the fact that we dont have a close season for coarse - I'm from the UK originally & can remember struggling to get accommodation in Fermoy in the early 90's.

Looks like I'll have to start breeding my own again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

What about using mealworm or waxworm?

Mealworm are an excellent bait, and if you want ones that are similar in size to a chunky earthwork then ask for morioworms.

Most petshops will have them.

Waxworm are great bait too, but are expensive in terms of how many are in a tub and you would be getting them for hook use only.

Have used mealworm and morioworms in the UK and the fish seem to love them.

Over here I tend to buy them and waxworm for feeding wild birds.

Just to give you an idea on pricing, a carton of mealworm or morioworm would be about €3.99 and would contain about 100 to 150 mealworm or 50 morioworm.

A tub of waxworm would be about the same price and contain between 40 and 60 waxworm.

Sounds a great idea - to be honest never heard of them but would definitely try them - available in larger pet shops I presume ?

• Advertisement

Andip wrote: »
    available in larger pet shops I presume ?

I know nothing about them bait wise but the DIY shops have them anyway like Woodies etc. in their wild bird feeding areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

SeaFields wrote: »
    I know nothing about them bait wise but the DIY shops have them anyway like Woodies etc. in their wild bird feeding areas.

No that is dried mealworm. No good as bait.

Go to a petmania or any petshop that sells reptiles. Live mealworm is what is needed, and if you want to use them instead of earthworms then get live morioworms.

My mistake. :o

I saw them in DIY places when getting birdseed. Never bought them tho....rotten looking things!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I'm a coarse fisherman - two days off of work & ideal time to head off fishing on the Blackwater - but there's no bait available !

I tried all of the tackle shops in cork & Co. Cork for maggots or worm but nobody is stocking it. I guess the worm will come in with the game angling, but its a serious hit for the coarse angling when there's nothing available.

One of the shops told me that he doesn't stock maggot at any time, but that a group of 5 UK anglers arrived in last week saying that they had given up trying to get bait & were heading home. It's a sad state of affairs in my book

Have you tried Peter Horne in Killard, Blarney ? Should be in the phone book so worth a call
    Also Im surprised that the shop by the Kinsale roud about doesnt have coarse supplies or the other shop, the Half Way House

stylie wrote: »
    Have you tried Peter Horne in Killard, Blarney ? Should be in the phone book so worth a call
    Also Im surprised that the shop by the Kinsale roud about doesnt have coarse supplies or the other shop, the Half Way House

Kinsale Roundabout told me that they are the distributors for Cork & therefore if they dont have them neither do anyone else........

I'll try Peter Horne on the offchance he has a different supplier - thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 kevkel

i will be farming worms in cork city shortly

kevkel wrote: »

i will be farming worms in cork city shortly

Pm me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 donallips

why not use hemp seed you can get them in tins in most fishing shops or steep your own from the dried one you can get inthe helth food shops i find them prity good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Or just throw a bucket of soapy water on the grass and you've enough worms for a decent days fishing.

i am starting a worm farm in cork will be plenty in a couple of months from now

I will have plenty of worms in a couple of months . keep an eye on here or post me a reply

send me a message when u read this

Advertisement