Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western rail corridor

• 11-02-2011 11:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭

Does anyone use this new trainline? just wondered what kind of numbers are using it to get to either Limerick or Galway daily - except those that use it for the Ennis - Limerick run the trains seem pretty empty?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Train was packed when the Christmas Market was in Eyre Square and there were reduced Fri,Sat, Sun tickets. Otherwise, the 5.25pm from Galway return time is too early for workers and college students who commute. Who is going to pay a monthly train ticket when they have to pay for returning home on the bus some/all evenings? Iarnrod Eireann is proposing an extra train leaving Galway at 6.30 pm and that would surely up the numbers travelling. The express, no stop, bypass using, Limerick to Galway Bus Eireann bus is splendid for those who use it but must have brought train numbers way down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Shane Slv

Well the track may well be flooded again in the near future if the water keeps rising the way it is at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

With the prices what they are right now, I'm surprised anyone uses it.

I got the train from Dublin to Ennis via Galway over Christmas due to some service disruptions. It was nice and all, but I wouldn't pay the guts of 30 quid for a ticket if I had any other options sure.

You would think the government would be wanting more people to use public transportation and work on doing something about the restrictive pricing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My parents use it the whole time, but they are pensioners so they have free travel, personally I don't think I'd use it unless I was going on a stag, it would be perfect, few beers on the train on the way up, arrive in the centre of Eyre Square and no worries about driving back the next day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

CptSternn wrote: »

I got the train from Dublin to Ennis via Galway over Christmas due to some service disruptions. It was nice and all, but I wouldn't pay the guts of 30 quid for a ticket if I had any other options sure.

You would think the government would be wanting more people to use public transportation and work on doing something about the restrictive pricing.

Well, public transport never makes a profit, that is a universal fact internationally.
    Right now money is tight, so the government wouldn't want people to use it.
    So the best plan for them is to make it as awkward and expensive as possible, so people don't use it, so in a few years time they can say "it's not working, let's get rid of it"
    Yes they have spent a lot of money doing it up, but that way they don't have to pay running costs.
    I give it 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

CptSternn wrote: »

Well, public transport never makes a profit, that is a universal fact internationally.
    Right now money is tight, so the government wouldn't want people to use it.
    So the best plan for them is to make it as awkward and expensive as possible, so people don't use it, so in a few years time they can say "it's not working, let's get rid of it"
    Yes they have spent a lot of money doing it up, but that way they don't have to pay running costs.
    I give it 5 years.
    Sad that the Irish government thinks that way, but they do.
    Same applies to any public service, it costs money, let's not do it.
    I'm amazed that there are schools and hospitals here, I'm sure pretty soon the government will publish shock horror reports that neither of those has EVER made any money, 'bout time we got rid of them...

Advertisement