Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Carlow - Some Questions

Options
  • 11-02-2011 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi, I am moving to Carlow in the next couple of weeks, going to be living in Palatine, near Toughers Restaurant on the Carlow Castledermot road. I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping a few Carlow natives can answer for me!

Has anyone got phone numbers for a couple of good reliable Bin companies that I contact to arrange a Bin service?

Has anyone got a phone number for a competitive reliable company to deleiver Oil for the house?

For TV do most people use UPC or Sky in around Carlow?

And what broadband providers are relaible in the Palatine area?

Help very much appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mcb81

Welcome to Carlow!
    I use Ray Whelan Bin Disposal and find him very reliable. 059 9147678

• Registered Users Posts: 49 philkelly32

+1 for ray whelan works out cheaper as no admin charges

there is a mix of both sky and upc in carlow so depends on what you require i have sky which i find great but i do know that you can get bundle with tv phone and broadband or mix of them once service is available in your area ( dont live near palatine so not sure of coverage there maybe other posters might know area a bit better.

hope this is of some help and welcome to carlow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

And what broadband providers are relaible in the Palatine area?

Depending on what Exchange you're on, and your distance from it, you may be limited to the Fixed Wireless providers - Digiweb Metro or Imagine WiMAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭natty_asha

for oil I know my sister uses O'Reilly oil in Graiguecullen (059)9142642 in carlow. I don't use home oil personally but she said they are very good they let you pay off your order rather than having it all up front. They seem fairly flexible.

I use AES (1850 650 655) for bin collections. I was with Ray Whelan but changed a couple of years ago as I found them hit and miss but in saying that they could have improved. I have had no problems with AES so far.

I have vodafone for broadband and wouldn't reccommend it at all. It was great at first but the last couple of months it slows down considerably in the evenings and crashes a lot - possibly 3-4 times a week lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I don't think you can get UPC in Palatine, Carlow town only afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭thirtypence

thanks for all the replies

my main concern at the moment is broadband, it looks like eircom only class my line as 'amber' in palatine, which means at best it will be 1mb, which is poor

what are my options for broadband if im too far from an exchange? anyone got experience of the satillite broadband providers? the satillite providers normally provide speed of approx 3mb, and im not sure if this is enough to enable me to work from home some days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

natty_asha wrote: »
    I have vodafone for broadband and wouldn't reccommend it at all. It was great at first but the last couple of months it slows down considerably in the evenings and crashes a lot - possibly 3-4 times a week lately!

I use Vodafone and the first 8 months I had all sort of problems but one day I found a person in Vodafone who realy wanted to solve the problems and he did and now I can say that I have a constant service at around 6meg
    As rubbish collection I always used AES and I've never had any problems.

Zeppi wrote: »
    I use Vodafone and the first 8 months I had all sort of problems but one day I found a person in Vodafone who realy wanted to solve the problems and he did and now I can say that I have a constant service at around 6meg
    As rubbish collection I always used AES and I've never had any problems.

i now know for sure i can only get broadband thru satillitem anyone using satillite broadband in carlow? whats the quality like, cost etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

thanks for all the replies

my main concern at the moment is broadband, it looks like eircom only class my line as 'amber' in palatine, which means at best it will be 1mb, which is poor

what are my options for broadband if im too far from an exchange? anyone got experience of the satillite broadband providers? the satillite providers normally provide speed of approx 3mb, and im not sure if this is enough to enable me to work from home some days ?

u can get digiweb wireless in palatine

u can get digiweb wireless in palatine

it must be only lime grove estate that cant get digiweb wireless? and everywhere else in palantine can get it! the lad from digiweb said because of the trees around lime grove there cant get a line of site to the mast, perhaps the other 99% of palatine has this line of sight to the mast?

would you know anyone living in lime grove? i havent moved in there yet, wonder how people in that esate are getting broadband, must be thru satillite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 pernilla

I was going to suggest digiweb, as we have this in the office and we are in the back of beyonds and i find them quite quick and helpful for any problems i have had, i think its 2mb we have here its definitely not 3 but like siad it is quick, but if its not available to you then this has been of no help to you at all

welcome to carlow!

Advertisement