Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking a decent steak dinner

Options
  • 11-02-2011 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,126 ✭✭✭✭

folks

looking for a little help, i want to do a nice steak dinner for mrs cyrus over the weekend, i have next to no experience as a cook tho :D

Dessert is sorted, so its just the main course.

She prefers fillet, i prefer sirloin, both of us like it medium.

Can anyone give me instructions/ideas on:

a) what to cover it in before cooking (olive oil, pepper and salt?)
    b) rule of thumb for cooking time for both types of cut
    c) what to accompany it with? thinking M&S ultimate mash and some green beans?

over to you!

PS would Marks or the butchers be better for the steak?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Check out this thread:

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055320134

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Take steaks out of the fridge and leave to get to room temperature rub with olive oil, pepper and salt and put onto a dry hot pan (do not oil the pan)

How long to cook a steak for?
    These timings are based on cooking a steak that's about 2cm (3/4 of an inch) thick. (Cooking times will vary depending on the type and thickness of the steak, and how hot your pan is.)

Blue: 1 minute each side

Rare: 1½ minutes each side

Medium rare: 2 minutes each side

Medium: 2¼ minutes each side

Medium-well done: 2½ - 3 minutes each side.

Go to a Butchers and buy your meat as it is 100% Irish.
    M&S food is British.. support our own ...make your mashed spuds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

lucylu wrote: »
    Go to a Butchers and buy your meat as it is 100% Irish. M&S food is British.. support our own ...make your mashed spuds!

M&S sell steak and other meats sourced in the Republic of Ireland. ALDI sell very good Irish steaks as well as part of their Specially Selected line.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭alanajane

I agree, Aldi does lovely steaks and very reasonably priced...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Two dishes to go with your steak. I like roast garlic. Take a head of garlic and trim the base cutting to expose some of the garlic in the skin. Pan fry this in a small pan on a low heat until it colours a little. Then transfer the garlic to the oven on a 140c to 150c temperature for half an hour. The result is a mellowed, carmelised roast garlic that you push out of the skin and spread over the steak.

Second dish is spinach with gruyere cheese. Wilt a couple of bags of baby spinach in a pan with a tablespoon of water. Once it is wilted, allow to cool then squeeze out as much water as you can by wringing it in your hands. Roughly chop the spinach. Add it to individual pots if you have some, top with gruyere cheese and add a swirl of cream, then bake or grill until the cheese melts. So 15 mins in a hot oven or 5 under a grill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭papermaker

lucylu wrote: »
    Take steaks out of the fridge and leave to get to room temperature rub with olive oil, pepper and salt and put onto a dry hot pan (do not oil the pan)

How long to cook a steak for?
    These timings are based on cooking a steak that's about 2cm (3/4 of an inch) thick. (Cooking times will vary depending on the type and thickness of the steak, and how hot your pan is.)

Blue: 1 minute each side

Rare: 1½ minutes each side

Medium rare: 2 minutes each side

Medium: 2¼ minutes each side

Medium-well done: 2½ - 3 minutes each side.

Go to a Butchers and buy your meat as it is 100% Irish.
    M&S food is British.. support our own ...make your mashed spuds!

I've used the following tip for testing if your steak is cooked to your liking:

put the tip of your thumb against the tip of your index finger...the muscle below the thumb will feel soft..the way ur steak will feel to the touch if it is rare..do the same with each finger in turn...the closer you get to ur little finger, the muscle will feel more firm...the more firm, the more ur steak will be cooked,

Advertisement