Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea for 'traditional irish' or 'galway' gift

Options
  • 11-02-2011 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to think of an idea for a traditional Irish gift or something quintessentially Galway to present to an international group visiting us this year.

Budget is tight at €100.

The conscensus is to get a hunk of Galway Crystal with an inscription on it marking the event, but I think that's a bit boring.

I'd love to get something like a hooker sail on a plaque, or a slate etching, but I'm out of ideas as to where to get such things.

I'd love to support a traditional craftsmaker with something like this.

Anyone got any help / suggestions?
    Before the smarts start; no to turf, no to bad debt, no to a leprechaun or shilelligh or a crock of gold.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The Claddagh Ring is about as Galway as it gets but you can't really give one ring to a group of people.

I think Bog Oak is a good 'Irish' gift. It can be quite expensive though. There's usually a guy selling it in the Market on Saturday.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Get Judy Greene to make you up some pottery to mark the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

My first thought was a bodran but that wouldn't really suit a group, unless theyre a musical group!

Check out the craft village in spiddal, you might find some pictures / bog oak out there.

Alternatively could get them one of those gift vouchers "we have provided, in your name, a goat to a family in the west of Ireland that will provide them with milk, dignity and hope".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

maybe one of the paintings of Galway scenes you get on the market?
    They're nice and colourful ;-)

Or something in the Galway colours?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There's a guy in Corbettcourt Shopping Centre, in the old tower, who sells lovely framed prints of Galway hookers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

10 bottles of tonic wine and a Charcoal Grill burger

• Registered Users Posts: 25,919 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are they from an organisation/company - where will the gift go when they get home?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭deargas

They're a sports club, and the gift will probably be on display on the wall / in their cabinets at the club.

Was thinking about something from the market alright. I know the claddagh ring is very galway, but not exactly suitable for a bunch of lads.

Like the idea of the galway hooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

If it's a sports club, how about something along the lines of a hurley/pair of hurleys & a sliotar, mounted or in a case?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

And/Or a galway Jersey to hang on the wall of their club.

In the Winding Stair there are old Galway prints that would be nice framed.
    Or they also have Ogham writing prints saying Failte or whatever, I wonder could you get that done in their club slogan or something? That'd be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A90Nid9ihCk

One of them famous jerseys framed...

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭deargas

lmao.

like the link. "People of Gaawlwaay, we laauve you"
    I know the prints well, I'll have a look.

Don't think the hurls are a goer, it's a basketball club.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Connemara whiskey can be got in a few places around town.
    http://www.connemarawhiskey.com/

I've one of these:
    pstre07_thumb.gif
    http://www.backstreet-merch.com/bands/pcad/

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Nice side of black puddin.
    Can't go wrong

Advertisement