Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Form Eircom......

Options
  • 11-02-2011 11:52am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I received the notice regarding changes to your pricing etc....

In print on the notice it says "Customers affected by these changes may withdraw from existing contracts without penalty within one month of receiving this notice."

I ring to cancel my service and get told that there is approx €370 worth of cancellation fees :confused:

I am on the talktime chatter package with 8mb NGB.
    Either way these fee's are affecting me so it is a change to your terms and conditions yet I can't withdraw without penalty as you say.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

jonny24ie wrote: »
    I received the notice regarding changes to your pricing etc....

In print on the notice it says "Customers affected by these changes may withdraw from existing contracts without penalty within one month of receiving this notice."

I ring to cancel my service and get told that there is approx €370 worth of cancellation fees :confused:

I am on the talktime chatter package with 8mb NGB.
    Either way these fee's are affecting me so it is a change to your terms and conditions yet I can't withdraw without penalty as you say.

Hi jonny24ie,

Can you private message me with your eircom account number or telephone number and I check the status for you in detail.

Thanks, Mark

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Hi jonny24ie,

Can you private message me with your eircom account number or telephone number and I check the status for you in detail.

Thanks, Mark

PM'd the details. Please let me know ASAP.

From my understanding of all this and from a conversation with one of the agents this morning, once I go outside my bundle the new charges take effect, therefore its a change in the contract.

PM'd the details. Please let me know ASAP.

From my understanding of all this and from a conversation with one of the agents this morning, once I go outside my bundle the new charges take effect, therefore its a change in the contract.

Hi jonny24ie,

I PM the details on how you can cancel without penalty.

Thanks, Mark

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Hi jonny24ie,

I PM the details on how you can cancel without penalty.

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

Just so others that are in this position know, I rang the number you supplied and they were the ones that told me I had to pay that amount to cancel.

Jonny

Mark,

Just so others that are in this position know, I rang the number you supplied and they were the ones that told me I had to pay that amount to cancel.

Jonny

Hi Johhy,

I rang through a few times and confirmed that cancellations are cancelling customers account without penalty.

I am afraid we can not issue a cancellation directly as there is a set process for this scenario.

Can you try again and if you have the same issue get back onto me.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi Johhy,

I rang through a few times and confirmed that cancellations are cancelling customers account without penalty.

I am afraid we can not issue a cancellation directly as there is a set process for this scenario.

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

I tried the number you pm'd me and its not in service. Can you confirm the number or will i ring 1901?

Jonny

Hi Johhy,

Thanks, Mark

Mark,

Just to confirm, i spoke to an agent just a few moments ago who said I can cancel my phone line but will have to pay the fee mentioned above because of the broadband not been affected. This is becoming a joke, you cant have BB without a phoneline so because I am cancelling the phoneline because of this increase I cant actually have broadband on its own!!

Jonny

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Mark, I rang the number you supplied and they were the ones that told me I had to pay that amount to cancel.
    +

Look, it either works or it doesn't. It's this sort ambiguity in policy that really annoys me. Mark it's not your fault, but...
    ...should be of no concern to customers.
    If there is a magic number of retries to call centers required before desired results are achieved, please do tell that magic number. I could write some software to get those initial calls out of the way and really save people some time & frustration.

Again, Mark, not your fault, but come on...telling the customer to just repeat precisely what completely failed for them before doesn't exactly instill confidence. Customer's time is valuable, along with their money.

Go on tell us the magic number & I'll get cracking on the VOIP software :p

Mark,

Just to confirm, i spoke to an agent just a few moments ago who said I can cancel my phone line but will have to pay the fee mentioned above because of the broadband not been affected. This is becoming a joke, you cant have BB without a phoneline so because I am cancelling the phoneline because of this increase I cant actually have broadband on its own!!

Jonny

Hi Jonny,

Can you PM me a mobile contact number for you please.

Thanks, Mark

+

Look, it either works or it doesn't. It's this sort ambiguity in policy that really annoys me. Mark it's not your fault, but...

...should be of no concern to customers.

If there is a magic number of retries to call centers required before desired results are achieved, please do tell that magic number. I could write some software to get those initial calls out of the way and really save people some time & frustration.

Again, Mark, not your fault, but come on...telling the customer to just repeat precisely what completely failed for them before doesn't exactly instill confidence. Customer's time is valuable, along with their money.

Go on tell us the magic number & I'll get cracking on the VOIP software :p

Hi bobbytables,

No the customers can ring the number on the notification letter (1800 251 251) and customers can be put through to cancellations directly. I rang through three times to see if encountered a problem. The agents all agreed the accouny will be cancelled without penalty.

So I apologise if it seemed repetative but eircom have a set process so we cankeep a detailed record customers cancelling due to the price increases.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Mark, let's be clear here. People are trying to cancel both their broadband and phone packages without penalty due to the change of Ts&Cs of the phone package. Is this what you are trying to do when you phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 iamsobored

Hi Mark - I have made 3 phone calls to cancel - first agent said that I would have to pay cancellation charge of €260 as the increase won't affect me if I keep within my bundle (talktime talker & NGB)! After I though about his I made a second call to dispute this as anything outside my bundle would be charged at new rates and was told I was within my rights to cancel free of change and he said that he would process this.

I then called a new provider to sign up and they asked if I had a ref or cancellation number from eircom - I call eircom back and spoke another agent, he tells me that I will be charged €260 for cancelling and was I sure i really wanted to. he spoke to the previous agent whoo did the cancellation and told me that I was given the wrong information. He told me to call complaints department!! Where does this leave me!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

No the customers can ring the number on the notification letter (1800 251 251) and customers can be put through to cancellations directly.
    I never said they couldn't. In fact IF I had thought they couldn't I would have raised that as a separate issue. I always assumed & expected that if a customer needed to get through to customer service/support/etc they could on every try. Why else publicize contact details.
    I rang through three times to see if encountered a problem. The agents all agreed the accouny will be cancelled without penalty.
    Why did you feel the need to test 3 times. Surely once would have been enough.
    So I apologise if it seemed repetative but eircom have a set process so we can keep a detailed record customers cancelling due to the price increases.
    That's purely for Eircom's benefit, not the customers.

Listen don't take my comments personally, I re-iterate from my last post this is not necessarily your fault. Do take it as customer feedback because it's relevant.

...and finally....why on earth did you go to the extra effort to create a hyperlink to my boards.ie profile when you addressed me in your last post?. That was a little odd, don't you think?

Zab wrote: »
    Mark, let's be clear here. People are trying to cancel both their broadband and phone packages without penalty due to the change of Ts&Cs of the phone package. Is this what you are trying to do when you phone?

Hi Zab,

I have to a manager in cancellations and outlined the expirience some customers have had despite that I called posing as a customer and I didn't encounter a problem.

However I have been advised the agents have been re-briefed and told if the customer wants to cancel the whole installtion (line & broadband ) No penalty fee will be incured if they state pricing as the reason for ceasing service with eircom.

Thanks, Mark

so does this mean if I call now this afternoon, there will be no problem with the cancellation I made this morning? I am concerned that I have cancelled and will be charged the €260 and wont find this out until after!

Mark,

Jonny

Hi Jonny,

I see your cancellation order has been issued I am very sorry about the issues you had in doing so.

If you have any follow up issues let me know.

Thanks, Mark

iamsobored wrote: »
    so does this mean if I call now this afternoon, there will be no problem with the cancellation I made this morning? I am concerned that I have cancelled and will be charged the €260 and wont find this out until after!

Hi iamsobored,

I can confirm if you state that you are cancelling your service with eircom due to the price increases you will noy be held to any early cease charges.

I understand that you have had issues but any confusion with the cancellation agents has been rectified and you should be able to go ahead and cancel now.

If you do have a problem let me know.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark, contacted eircom again and this is now sorted - thanks for you help

Hi Mark, just one other question - I have been told by my possible new provider that if I have cancelled my contract that the line may now also be cancelled and I will have to get a new phone number - I would not want a new landline number - how do I avoid this? They have said to cancel the cancellation and that they will just take over the line - but you have said that I should state to eircom that I am canceling my contract due to the the new call increases - any ideas? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Hi Mark, just one other question - I have been told by my possible new provider that if I have cancelled my contract that the line may now also be cancelled and I will have to get a new phone number - I would not want a new landline number - how do I avoid this? They have said to cancel the cancellation and that they will just take over the line - but you have said that I should state to eircom that I am canceling my contract due to the the new call increases - any ideas? Thanks

Same query here - don't want to loose my phone number and/or be without service during a changeover. The normal changeover process doesn't involve the customer calling Eircom at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 kickflips

I rang eircom there.. about cancelling my account but been kept told ill have to pay a cancelling fee of over €200.. as the price increases doesnt effect the package or something.. this is annoying

orignally posted by kickflips
    I rang eircom there.. about cancelling my account but been kept told ill have to pay a cancelling fee of over €200.. as the price increases doesnt effect the package or something.. this is annoying

Mark I thought that the Eircom agents had been briefed about the fact that because Eircom changed their T&C that you could cancel mid-contract without any penalties on Friday? I got mine sorted but only by calling the complaints department. This is getting crazy.

kickflips wrote: »

Hi kickflips,

Can you private message me with your telephone number and eircom account number and I will look into your contact with cancellations and get back to you.

Thanks, Mark

Hi imsobored

I will look into this and get back to you.

Thanks, Mark
    orignally posted by kickflips

Mark I thought that the Eircom agents had been briefed about the fact that because Eircom changed their T&C that you could cancel mid-contract without any penalties on Friday? I got mine sorted but only by calling the complaints department. This is getting crazy.

I was informed that any confusion regarding the early cease charges was clarified with cancellations however we are logging any issues you guys are having and advising management of the problems some customers are having.

I agree with yo there should be no confusion and i am sending on all examples.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark, appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kickflips

Hi Mark
    i send on those details

thanks..

kickflips wrote: »
    Hi Mark
    i send on those details

thanks..

HI kickflips,

I got the details thanks and I will get back to you soon.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

i have been told that if i wish to avail of eu reg 17, that i have to cease my line.

surely thats in breach of eu reg 17

I called eircom again just to cancel my cancellation (line due to cancel on Wedesday) as i was concern about losing my line. I got onto the one of the people I spoke to on Friday who was the only person that day I spoke to (our of 3 people) who said I could cancel my contract free of charge due to price increases - he has now just said to me that there is no increases even if I go outside my bundle and the charges won't affect me! but they WILL - and after all these crazy phone calls it has given me more reason to cancel.

Mark did you get a chance to see what is going on? There is no straight answer, different agents say different things, its so frustrating. I have now signed up to a new contract with a new provider and they need my line active so thats why I have cancelled my cancelation:confused:, where does this leave me in relation to fees for canceling my contract early?

I also called 2 times today and due to high call volumes left my phone number on an automated thing for someone to calls me back - no callback - I just got through on my 3rd call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Bit of advice here guys, I work for an alternative phone provider (i wont say who because the reason for this post is not to poach customers) and we have been informed by comreg that if a customer wants to break their contract but not cease the line they need to go directly to the new provider. After you have agreed to sign up to the the new provider you need to send in a written notification to eircom stating that you are switching provider due to the new terms and conditions and pricing. But make sure you state on the letter that you DO NOT wish to cease the line.

Hope this helps

Advertisement