Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ideas for low salt meals after heart attack....

Options
  • 11-02-2011 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi All

I would really appreciate any help on this.

My brother-in-law had a heart attack at a very young age, he is just out of hospital and both he and my sister are struggling to come up with meals that are both tasty and safe for him to eat. It has to be low fat and very low salt content.

Any ideas would be very helpful

Thanks in advance.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Low salt cooking isn't that hard I find (I haven't added salt to food for years)

As an example last night I made a potato and tuna bake with onions and beans now I used baked beans which will have salt but clearly one could swap them for say butter beans or just leave them out.

Here is a list of meals,

http://www.lowsodiumcooking.com/free/Archive.htm

maybe a lurking nutritionist could advise

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

The best thing your BIL can do is stop buying jars of sauce and things like that, and make his own, takes a bit of reorganising if he's new to it but it'll make a difference. I never add salt to my cooking anymore, though I do have it on the table.

The other suggestion I have is for him to check out baby ranges of food - seriously! Babies aren't supposed to have much sodium, so they do special v low sodium stock cubes etc for babies. I get mine in a big Boots they have a big baby range there with stock cubes, sauces, baby 'bags of crisps' etc. Dear but might be worth a look for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tara98

Thanks a million for the replies, i will pass on all information I get.

Oh and I might change my way of cooking too.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi there. The good folk in Diet & Nutrition may be able to provide some good advice on this. Best of luck to your brother in law. I know what he's going through.

Moved from C&R.

HB

• Advertisement
Advertisement