Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People sneaking up the right lane on Dock Road

Options
  • 11-02-2011 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Seriously? Who the f**k do they think they are like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Galway drivers are terrible, worst in the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Fiddlesnap wrote: »
    Seriously? Who the f**k do they think they are like?

They don't sneak, they think they are normal. You need a stress ball :)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kellsum

Can I ask that instead of just throwing that flippant statement about (Galway being the worst drivers), what actual facts have you to back up this statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Hate people like that.
    As a consequence, I never let them change back. And if they try and nudge in, I block them.
    I've got right of way, so they can sod off and wait for some sucker to let them in.
    If I had my way they'd be stuck there all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Really annoys me too.

Try not to let people in if I can at all. But sometimes feel guilty - what if people genuinely dont know about the lane being closed or are going right up ahead and will be popping back out of your lane almost immediately anyway.

• Advertisement

Galway drivers are terrible. You don't need a scientific survey to back that up, however you do need to have relatively good eyesight to observe

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Fiddlesnap

snubbleste wrote: »
    They don't sneak, they think they are normal. You need a stress ball :)
    Thats the problem, they think they are normal yet they are allowed to operate machinery and procreate...

I have to say though, I actually like to see them sneak up there like they are the most important people on the planet and their time is more important than anyone elses. I like a good rant and moan and this gives me the perfect outlet.

I too act like the poster above. If I can at all help it I will block them out. Feckers!

(Taxis, Buses and Ambulances are exempt)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kellsum

I'm assuming you have drove all around Ireland to give this insightful opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Fiddlesnap

what if people genuinely dont know about the lane being closed or are going right up ahead and will be popping back out of your lane almost immediately anyway.

You can tell the ones that are sincere and then those that are just being ignorant. Those morons that zoom up the right lane then cut in in front of someone in front... :mad::mad:

Corporal punishment now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

kellsum wrote: »
    I'm assuming you have drove all around Ireland to give this insightful opinion?

Yup, galway is by far the worst from driving around Ireland. But in general the majority of irish drivers(that i have encountered) are quite bad, with the amount of roundabouts in the country im surprised not more people understand how to drive on them

On Topic:When the roa closed a few months/year ago I had to admit I myself was like that, kee forgetting about it now, but sure there are people who dont like traffic and chance their arm. the only thing you can do is not let them through. However it will always occur, unless a small barrier prior to turning right occurs giving it less distance to drive up on the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If I'm coming from Victoria Place and traffic is heavy, I'll go up as far as the carpark to join (unless there's a space earlier) rather than stopping at the traffic island and blocking everything up behind me.

Those speeding up as far as the very end I generally won't let in.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

Hate people like that.
    As a consequence, I never let them change back. And if they try and nudge in, I block them.
    I've got right of way, so they can sod off and wait for some sucker to let them in.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Hate people like that.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Same as Fey! i drive up a bit from the junction and try to merge then. However, i do quite enjoy blocking out the fcukers that try the sneaky cuts up near the new pedestrian lights.

I have to say, Galway/Mayo reg cars can be very bad drivers, especially on roundabouts. Obviously not them all though. Rarely see stupid driving in Dublin where I drive a lot, other than bad lane discipline on motorways. FWIW, I'm from Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

Most of those "bad Galway drivers" are probably blow-ins anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Starie1975 wrote: »
    +1
    +1

Thats why the thank feature is in place, so people dont need to quote and add a +1 saying that they like the post. Just thank it!

I find that the people coming from the Vic who try and merge as fast as psosable were the two lanes are are ok, its more of the people going to the right top of the clsoed road to turn in. If im in the left lane and its after the car park, I wont allow cars to come into the lane

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

What people should be more peed off about is tha fact that the second lane is blocked at all. If the developers got their skates on with that bloody arthouse cinema thing then people could take the appropriate lane for the route they're going. Can't remember what the story is with that cinema or why it's delayed, but they should either sh!t or get off the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

It's true that is really annoying, but it's also really annoying the way that the right road is now closed off because of construction that is stopped!

Take for example if you are coming from eyre sq, going down by the docs and need to get to cross st. The only option available is now to join the big long traffic jam just to get around the corner, then switch lanes right and drive around by kumars. You used to be able to turn earlier on the docks road in the right lane towards the wa cafe, turn left down by the pottery-class-place and then out, but now that's blocked. It's merging two busy routes unnecessarily, and it bakes my noodle.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

That turn that was open only brings you a different way to the same destination and only provided a route to cut other drivers off on the dock road.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Fey! wrote: »
    If I'm coming from Victoria Place and traffic is heavy, I'll go up as far as the carpark to join (unless there's a space earlier) rather than stopping at the traffic island and blocking everything up behind me.
    Agree completely. That route has been restructured forcing it to become an even greater bottleneck than it was previously even though it's been a bus route for about 14 years and a popular exit from the city centre.

Yes people skipping the traffic jam queue is annoying in general, no argument there. Take rush hour every evening, you have the Eyre Square & Lough Atalia west-bound traffic expecting to merge within a stretch of road about 5m long. As you approach that pedestrian crossing from Eyre Square you can sense the tension. Then you get as far as the cross roads the other side of Wolftone bridge and everyone just speeds away.

One thing that always baffles me about Galway City is the lack of slip roads, over/under passes. IIRC in the early 90s it was all over the local papers how the Headford Rd was going to be transformed in to Galway's equivalent of Spaghetti junction. Yes...well....those traffic lights do look like they cost millions. Good job ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Check outside Dunnes on Briarhill, traffic coming down from the Clayton towards the roundabout - tools coming down 'creating' a righthand lane, halfway over the other side of the road.

That does my fuppin' head in.

Add to that, the idiots coming out of Dunnes turning right, just pull out, get halfway across blocking traffic in both directions.

Oh, one more, the idiots taking the entrance into Dunnes stay on the main road, then turn left - can ye not see the lane on the left with the big fuppin arrow pointing left, that's for you!!!

Tools!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

Ok techically these people are not breaking the rules of the road, but it pisses me off that they have the cheek to do it when the rest of us are suffering away.

In the old days, I used to turn right at the newsagent's and then turn left to come back out onto the road. Less annoying/obvious, but they've changed the layout now!

What's the solution though?

As for Galway drivers being the worst? I don't think so - Clare drivers are the worst :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Hate people like that.

The clowns that let these drivers in are just as bad. They are facilitating these other gobsh1tes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Yes, it can be annoying if everyone is queuing in one lane and one or two jump the queue by going up the other lane. BUT.......everybody should really use both lanes to queue and merge in turn!!

Link
    Zip merging 'clears traffic jams'
    Back

The art of 'zip merging' - using the outside lane when others are stationary in traffic - is the best way to clear motorway jams, a motoring expert has said.

Despite being a source of frustration for many drivers that find themselves undertaken by cars while stuck in traffic, it could prevent tailbacks from growing longer and blocking off more junctions, according to Peter Rodger, chief examiner at the Institute of Advanced Motorists.

Zip merging is most commonly used on dual carriageways that merge to a single lane of traffic, generally before a roundabout. Although many motorists frown upon drivers that drive ahead as far as possible in the overtaking lane, Mr Rodgers claims that doing so means the tailback is kept to a minimum.

"Driver etiquette means that 'zip merging' can be frowned upon by drivers in long queues of traffic, but if all available lanes are used, right up to the bottleneck, it is perfectly acceptable for vehicles from each lane to take it in turns to merge into the single lane," he said.

"This reduces the length of road the queue stretches along and prevents blocked junctions. If you are approaching a long queue of traffic in only one lane, you should stay in the lane you're in, even if it's empty, as long as you reduce your speed. Even if you have to merge further down, it is worth using all the space available to avoid unnecessarily long tailbacks."

fml3xu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Link that shows Galway drivers are the worst in Ireland, with information by someone with great authority:

http://www.gov.ie/en/galway-drivers-worst-in-ireland.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Good point Kev, everyone tries to merge into the one lane at the junction at the bottom of the car park/docks and it just creates backlogs on both roads. But it doesn't seem like drivers in this city/country understand zip merging, the same thing is expected on roundabouts but you'll see idiots stopping on roundabouts to let out traffic here all the time (have only ever seen this in galway but it might happen elsewhere). Its really dangerous and spectacularly dumb, but oh so common.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

On the bus home the last day, the gobshíte driver decides to do this, only instead of trying to sneak back in, he goes right (just before the scaffolding thingy) not realising a traffic island was made recently enough to stop people from doing this, and had to go all the way around again. And as you may or may not know, the Salthill bus is generally dominated by OAP's and they were not happy, plenty of audible "tuts" could be heard for about a minute!

That's hilarious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 DiscoChats

lookinbusy wrote: »
    What people should be more peed off about is tha fact that the second lane is blocked at all. If the developers got their skates on with that bloody arthouse cinema thing then people could take the appropriate lane for the route they're going. Can't remember what the story is with that cinema or why it's delayed, but they should either sh!t or get off the pot.

Sure when that lane re-opens it'll be worse!they'll drive all the way around to the lights outside thai garden & THEN cut in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Fiddlesnap wrote: »
    I too act like the poster above. If I can at all help it I will block them out. Feckers!

(Taxis, Buses and Ambulances are exempt)

Out of curiosity, why taxis?

It's most well-known on the docks stretch, but does anybody do the school run into town from Knocknacarra? The Knocknacarra Road (from Joyces down to the Spinnaker) has a fairly long triangular road on the left into Brooklawn. It's only separated from the main road by a green area so you can see the chancers who nip in there and skip about a third of the length of road, and the worst thing is they're always let out immediately at the other end by people who assumed they live in there.

Advertisement