Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People sneaking up the right lane on Dock Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,598 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Good point Kev, everyone tries to merge into the one lane at the junction at the bottom of the car park/docks and it just creates backlogs on both roads. But it doesn't seem like drivers in this city/country understand zip merging, the same thing is expected on roundabouts but you'll see idiots stopping on roundabouts to let out traffic here all the time (have only ever seen this in galway but it might happen elsewhere). Its really dangerous and spectacularly dumb, but oh so common.

Re the roundabout thing.....I've only ever seen this when the roundabout is "full" - ie on exit is backed up onto the roundabout and a number of cars are "stopped" on the roundabout, instead of jamming up the whole thing they leave a gap for cars entering the roundabout but not going out the same exit to go through.
    Ive never seen anyone stop on a roundabout without due reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

kippy wrote: »
    Re the roundabout thing.....I've only ever seen this when the roundabout is "full" - ie on exit is backed up onto the roundabout and a number of cars are "stopped" on the roundabout, instead of jamming up the whole thing they leave a gap for cars entering the roundabout but not going out the same exit to go through.
    Ive never seen anyone stop on a roundabout without due reason.

I wish that was the case it could be somewhat excusable but it happens all the time on the roundabout behind the hospital, people stopping to let cars out etc when you should not be stopping. They shouldn't be stopping at all thats what makes the roundabout full in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

That roundabout behind the hospital is brutal, even more so since they started digging the place up.

However, what is the point in blocking an entrance onto the roundabout when you can't proceed because your exit is blocked and there isn't room for your car beyond the entrance?

For instance, in the muck drawing below, car 1 has left the roundabout at exit but is stuck by traffic, 2 wants to exit a C, but can't proceed. Car 3 has entered the roundabout, but can't exit due to 2. 5 has entered, but 3 has him blocked. But if he hadn't entered the roundabout he knows from experience that car 7 will enter and cut in in front of him behind 3.

Should he pull up to the bumper of 3 and block car 4, or should he sit where he is on the diagram and let 4 proceed unhindered?

147681.jpg

That looks fierce confusing, doesn't it??? :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I've been on that roundabout when traffic was flowing well behind someone who stopped to let people out from the hospital. Exit was clear ahead and this fool slams on the breaks to let a few cars out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,598 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I wish that was the case it could be somewhat excusable but it happens all the time on the roundabout behind the hospital, people stopping to let cars out etc when you should not be stopping. They shouldn't be stopping at all thats what makes the roundabout full in the first place.
    I use that one about twce a day, 4 days a week on average but never seen it. (Thats not to say that it doesnt happen)As I said about the only time I have seen people stop on the roundabout is when the exit is blocked and the let others who arent going to that exit out.
    Roundabouts get blocked when the exits get blocked. Not much any driver can do about that, but if those that were on the roundabout taking that exit at the time did not allow those not using that exit onto the roundabout (Ie they didnt leave a gap to the car in front) the whole roundabout would grind to a halt.

• Advertisement

Amazing the amount of people who state they wouldn't/don't let them in.

That view would represent about 1% of the road users as I never see them waiting longer then one car before someone lets them in.

I always say ''Yes we'll see if they can squeeze into this gap in front of me'' but then within 2secs of stopping the 1st or 2nd car has already let them in and I've never once had the chance to block someone trying it.

They should put bollards down the middle of the road from before the car park on, but that's not going to happen, they wasted all of them on a street round the corner from me here in Claddagh which has ZERO use for them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Fey! wrote: »
    That roundabout behind the hospital is brutal, even more so since they started digging the place up.

However, what is the point in blocking an entrance onto the roundabout when you can't proceed because your exit is blocked and there isn't room for your car beyond the entrance?

For instance, in the muck drawing below, car 1 has left the roundabout at exit but is stuck by traffic, 2 wants to exit a C, but can't proceed. Car 3 has entered the roundabout, but can't exit due to 2. 5 has entered, but 3 has him blocked. But if he hadn't entered the roundabout he knows from experience that car 7 will enter and cut in in front of him behind 3.

Should he pull up to the bumper of 3 and block car 4, or should he sit where he is on the diagram and let 4 proceed unhindered?

That looks fierce confusing, doesn't it??? :)

car 7 is in the wrong lane to be cutting in behind 3. (not that that changes a thing, but still). They've actually put 'get in lane' signs up along the approach to the roundabout from the bridge - I think it has gotten better, but you still get the odd idiot who seemingly can't read.

On that topic - I have on occasion waited where car 6 is - waiting for at least car 5 to clear before entering, as not to clog up the roundabout for people coming from the Westport direction exiting towards Newcastle - with the result of being undercut AND beeped at. People are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

kellsum wrote: »
    Can I ask that instead of just throwing that flippant statement about (Galway being the worst drivers), what actual facts have you to back up this statement?

Drive in any other county in Ireland, there's your proof.

Actually, just drive around Dublin. Drove there recently and the volume of activity going on around you while you're driving is incredible.
    If Galway was like that there would be an insane amount of accidents, guarenteed.

DeadSkin wrote: »

Add to that, the idiots coming out of Dunnes turning right, just pull out, get halfway across blocking traffic in both directions.

Have you ever tried turning right out of Dunnes Briarhill during busy hours?
    It's nigh on impossible as most people aren't courteous enough to let you out so pulling accross like that is the only way really.

I have to do it coming out of Mullanmore housing estate along the Tuam road as well as traffic in either direction won't give you an inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Caliden wrote: »

Have you ever tried turning right out of Dunnes Briarhill during busy hours?
    It's nigh on impossible as most people aren't courteous enough to let you out so pulling accross like that is the only way really.

I have to do it coming out of Mullanmore housing estate along the Tuam road as well as traffic in either direction won't give you an inch.

So, it's courteous to pull out half way and block traffic heading up that road?
    Drivers like you are the problem.

Come out of Dunnes, turn left, turn right into Clayton and come back down - prob be quicker!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

They're never going to put bollards along the dock road because, annoying or otherwise, it's not causing any kind of hazard.

On that diagram, if C looks blocked from a decent distance I'll try to keep going on to D and across behind Dunnes. It's easy to get back onto the road at the lights beyond Westside sports ground. I'd say 80% of the cars are going that far anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭UPCurley

In relation to the dock road.
    I noticed this too and it's maddening about the cars on the right hand land flying ahead when you are gridlocked in traffic on the left hand lane.
    They always fly ahead and they are always let in at the lights and only have to wait for about two cars to do so.
    However being the other side, I have recently come up from the victoria and if there is a lot of traffic on the left as soon as I pass the pedestrian crossing, I indicate left to get into correct lane. A lot of drivers won't let you in and then if I have drivers behind me, I give up and then proceed to drive slowly while indicating left to try to appease them also. I usually manage to get halfway up slowly while indicating and driving close to the left before some obliging driver lets me in. Occasionally, I actually have to nudge into the left lane assertively (semi aggressively)before someone lets me in. and this is just to sit in traffic while the dcikheads fly down to the lights.
    So, not all are bad when they end up at the lights, they might not be confident enough to make the move or are out of towners.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭samdeman

why does this bother people so much? i always do it for the simple reason i want to get to my destination quicker. its not illegal and its my choice. if you want to sit in a traffic jam for an extra few minutes thats your choice. you should be more worried about drivers who throw fag butts out the passenger window. why cant they just throw them out the driver side window (like i do)onto the road where they will disappear forever, and not on the footpath where they will be until some council workers get around to cleaning them

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

May get slated for saying this but I do it all the time. Why? Because it gets me there quicker. And I think that if everyone had the same attitude traffic would move a lot quicker in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Rylan wrote: »
    May get slated for saying this but I do it all the time. Why? Because it gets me there quicker. And I think that if everyone had the same attitude traffic would move a lot quicker in Galway.

If everyone had that attitude the city would grind to a halt, as everyone would be trying to outrun and cut off everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

kellsum wrote: »
    Can I ask that instead of just throwing that flippant statement about (Galway being the worst drivers), what actual facts have you to back up this statement?

I find motorists in Galway very intolerant of cyclists, even those cyclists who are obeying the rules of the road. the absence of real cycle lanes does not help.

the roundabouts are a nightmare. while outsiders are trying to figure out which lane they need to get into horn are honking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Columc wrote: »
    Thats why the thank feature is in place, so people dont need to quote and add a +1 saying that they like the post. Just thank it!
    postcount++

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭macl

Traffic at the docks in Galway really sums up how badly planned and run Galway can be (local government). This particular issue should be a topic for any candidates running for election. Its a f'in disgrace and really makes my blood boil.

1 - How private industry can hold up Galway city traffic for months on end is beyond me. Developers should not be allowed to obstruct traffic in this way. This costs time and money for thousands of Galway people daily . With such planning applications going forward there should be heavy penalties in the event of unnecessary traffic obstruction.

2 - The city council couldn't be bothered trying to resolve this issue at all or so it appears.

My suggestion (bar getting rid of the traffic restriction at the corner) would be to:

- Undo the blocking of the road around by back of the house hotel (yes this means hiring a guy with a kango for a day and some minor resurfacing where the footpath they laid was.

- Implement temp water bollards in the centre of the road beside the museum

This means that people in the left hand lane only will be able to go on through Salthill OR they can swing around near Jurys if they need to double back.

Right lane traffic is destined for merchants road or around by flood street and into the city via cross street etc

And to make sure people get into the know - water bollards in centre of road from No.8 bar down towards junction to hang right.

I recon this solution would ease traffic somewhat and would be very quick/cheap to implement.

When traveling from Oranmore to Salthill I used to often go through the centre of town - it was always quicker than sticking it out in the left hand lane.

po0k wrote: »
    postcount++

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

Is it not just annoying to those drivers sat in the traffic on the left because they didnt think of using the right hand lane?

It makes sense to use both lanes and merge at the end where the road works are, as per the diagram eariler. Surely this will ease up the traffic going back up to eyre square etc. I dont see why drivers coming from eyre square should stop at the pedestrain crossing and wait to be let in there (which doesnt always happen) rather than be let in further down the road. At what point along the dock road is correct? just after the lights? between the lights and the entrance to the car park? If there were road markings indicating where it might be helpful.

Plus the argument of "im not letting him in, he didnt wait in line as long as me" doesnt indicate a very sensible driver attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

samdeman wrote: »
    why does this bother people so much? i always do it for the simple reason i want to get to my destination quicker. its not illegal and its my choice. if you want to sit in a traffic jam for an extra few minutes thats your choice. you should be more worried about drivers who throw fag butts out the passenger window. why cant they just throw them out the driver side window (like i do)onto the road where they will disappear forever, and not on the footpath where they will be until some council workers get around to cleaning them
    its a$$holes like you that have people ranting, would you have the same attitude if you were queing up for tickets or paying for something and a muppet with your reasoning just skipped the Q ahead of you cos they were to lazy to wait,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

you obviously dont care for other road users who also want/need to get home, as i mentioned above how would you feel if someone jumped the Q you were in if you were waiting to pay or buy something????? Im sure you wouldnt be to happy,
    Needless to say I never let any muppet through up near the top including taxis or buses (they have there bus/taxi lanes) and this isnt one of them, I like giving the One finger salute to $hitheads like these.
    Lets not forget for people who live on merchants road and have carpark access there I dont think it would be fair to have there access road blocked by cars who are cutting in at the top going in the salthill direction
    RANT OVER

you obviously dont care for other road users who also want/need to get home, as i mentioned above how would you feel if someone jumped the Q you were in if you were waiting to pay or buy something????? Im sure you wouldnt be to happy,
    Needless to say I never let any muppet through up near the top including taxis or buses (they have there bus/taxi lanes) and this isnt one of them, I like giving the One finger salute to $hitheads like these.
    Lets not forget for people who live on merchants road and have carpark access there I dont think it would be fair to have there access road blocked by cars who are cutting in at the top going in the salthill direction
    RANT OVER
    if people dont use the right lane it just causes a log jam further back. why is it wrong to use the right lane and cut in to stop this? if people dont use the right lane to cut in, isn't just a waste of of useful roadway? its people like you who stay in the left lane and not let people in who are preventing the free flow of traffic. people like you make me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I wouldn't have a problem,letting someone in, lets say, up as far as the car park entrance. But any further than that and you're takin the mick. And its smug, self important arseholes like you, that cause most of the delays in this town

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

if people dont use the right lane it just causes a log jam further back. why is it wrong to use the right lane and cut in to stop this? if people dont use the right lane to cut in, isn't just a waste of of useful roadway? its people like you who stay in the left lane and not let people in who are preventing the free flow of traffic. people like you make me sick.

That's flawed logic - at the end of the day the SAME amount of cars have to get through the single lane at the end of the logjam, tehrefore if lots of cars start clogging up the right hand lane, waiting to cut in, cars intending to go back through town won't be able to get through. Also, while the left lane gets held up by muppets stopping to let the right lane in, it doesn't move anyway, so the logjam is going to be the same around by the harbour hotel no matter what you do. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

i always do it, why not, and somebody is yet to stop me, cause i always give the option hit me or let me in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

i always do it, why not, and somebody is yet to stop me, cause i always give the option hit me or let me in :D

Your logic is flawed then, because the left hand lane has right of way and does not have to let you in. And if you are to cross into the left lane without been let then you are in the wrong and and it would be you hitting them and you would be culpable. Personally i always let someone in down by the lights but after that no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Fiddlesnap

Oh my God! An insight into the minds of the que skippers. "I dont want to waste my time' I hope I meet you on the right lane. I'm gonna throw my cigarette butts out the window onto your car and leave you in a cloud of my exhaust fumes!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

Well ill be using the right lane from now on, the feeling of rebellious freedom as i speed past all you angry, jealous lefters will be well worth it. Some sucker will let me in down at the roadworks anyway then Ill be home for my tea nice and early.

Left laners are saaaaaaaaaad!

• Advertisement

bloo wrote: »
    Well ill be using the right lane from now on, the feeling of rebellious freedom as i speed past all you angry, jealous lefters will be well worth it. Some sucker will let me in down at the roadworks anyway then Ill be home for my tea nice and early.

Left laners are saaaaaaaaaad!
    EXACTLY. nine times out of ten i get to cut in first time. the other times i still make progress from where i was. i have never had to wait more than three cars before someone lets me in. i like those odds so i will keep doing it. just because some of you don't agree with me doesn't make it wrong. i have read the rules of the road and nowhere does it say its wrong or illegal.
    ps- for you rightlaners, going through the university cuts some time off your journey going through newcastle towards cathedral in heavy traffic

Advertisement